The All Important Environment

Owderb

My AC reflector is my best ever buy regards environment, I was always fighting extreme temps and the plants always showed their disquiet, now my temps never move more than half a degree and the plants look a lot happier for it. :smokin:

• Like 5

Wise words Owd & very true. I agree, that if you are willing to spend the money to take up this hobby, then learn as much as you can before taking up the expense to save yourself as much hassle as you can. We all learn by our own mistakes but it starts to become very expensive if you keep making them.

H2

• Like 4

Guest Jibbajabba

Oh man, I'm showing this to a dum fuck i know that's been trying to grow canna for years, ive always said its his enviro.

Someone once told me to make it like a wind tunnel in there!

• Like 4

I know what you mean jibbajabba. i have a friend that spends top wack for seeds when he doesnt have a thermometer or extraction of any kind :wacko: There is just no telling him. But then he is happy with his two oz fom 250 watt of cfl and numerous led panels :rofl: Each to their own, but im with Owderb :wink:

e2a: 2 oz wet :doh:

Edited by jusliv
  • Like 2

OWDERB -

Could you list the factors that you consider important (vital ones first) along with ideal values

I.e.

Air Temp (shade) - 18-28 oC

Substrate temp (under surface) - XX-XXoC

etc

Where in this example, air temp is more important than substrate temp

This might be useful in using as a checklist for growers with issues.

Developing the idea futher, maybe we could use this info to grade our environments, a bit like the score that windows gives you based on the available info on hardware???

• Like 3

OWDERB -

Could you list the factors that you consider important (vital ones first) along with ideal values

I.e.

Air Temp (shade) - 18-28 oC

Substrate temp (under surface) - XX-XXoC

etc

Where in this example, air temp is more important than substrate temp

This might be useful in using as a checklist for growers with issues.

Developing the idea futher, maybe we could use this info to grade our environments, a bit like the score that windows gives you based on the available info on hardware???

i would love this!!

• Like 1

Fantastic post,

It can be difficult getting everything dialed in, but the fun never stop's as you try to perfect the art of growing indoors.

One step at a time, and with such fantastic members here it shouldn't be too long before we are all growing herb as nice as owd's or any other of the fantastic growers on this site.

• Like 3

Rootball temps dont want to be getting below 18 degrees and that is at floor level seeing as that is where its the coolest as below this phosphorous in the plant starts to slow and not above 25 degrees as this just encourages pathogens to breed

Ideally ambient temps want to be 76-78 degrees. I dont measure temps directly under the light

Cannabis loves around 70% humidity all the way through its life. Its only us that try to reduce it to lessen the chance of budrot late in flower especially. This is normally only a problem at lights out

Air should be exchanged at least 20 times per hour to replenish co2 and running 24/7

If using passive intakes you should aim for 5 x the size of extract if using the fan at full speed

If pushed for one to keep right it would be rootball temps.

Hope that helps

Owd

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 39

• 3 weeks later...

Rootball temps dont want to be getting below 18 degrees and that is at floor level seeing as that is where its the coolest as below this phosphorous in the plant starts to slow and not above 25 degrees as this just encourages pathogens to breed

Ideally ambient temps want to be 76-78 degrees. I dont measure temps directly under the light

Cannabis loves around 70% humidity all the way through its life. Its only us that try to reduce it to lessen the chance of budrot late in flower especially. This is normally only a problem at lights out

Air should be exchanged at least 20 times per hour to replenish co2 and running 24/7

If using passive intakes you should aim for 5 x the size of extract if using the fan at full speed

If pushed for one to keep right it would be rootball temps.

Hope that helps

Owd

Really good post been telling mates for ages enviro' is VERY important ,as is enough fresh air exchanged see them plants go nuts with enough fresh air !!.

On the passive intake u mention : For example if ur using a 4" extractor you'd need a hole 5 x that size u mean ? i.e : 20" opening to allow enough air to flow in ?,kinda interested as i wanna keep things on a budget and small scale (its killing me as i'm used to praying mantis reflectors 3 x 600w and 10" extraction ffs !! :wallbash: ),but i'm changing to coco from compost also ,so i'm hoping to up my crop per watt ratio via the scrog route ;).

I normally use an oil filled rad £25 to keep temps up where they should be during lights off or an anti frost heater for a garage from a well known d.i.y chain on a concrete slab for my mum/veg room £10 both have thermal dials so make things easy as ;) (i was doing loft thermal insulation built room's ) .

I'm now only doing a small space in the loft (using a 400W then upping to a 600W aircooled shade when monies allow !!),what size room would u recommend for the 600w room it will eventually have in there ? also what size fans would you use for the space passive intake and non-passive intake ?, i intend to do 4 - 6 plants max in 6.5 - 11 ltr square pots .

I have all the kingspan i need + 22 sheets of 1" black insulation foam to clad the outside in and also to create a square tube for all extraction flexi pipework to be run in with rockwall insulation to silence noise a bit and fans to be housed in also i reckon this will work a treat ;).

Any help would be appreciated to avoid cock ups ! ,i hate to see bud wasted lol;) .

GNA #1 :yinyang:

Edited by Green Nation Army

You want about 5 times the volume which is about 64", a quick way of working it out is to multiply the size(4 in your case) by itself and then again by 4, you should use pi for an exact answer but the results are close enough not to matter.

You want about 5 times the volume which is about 64", a quick way of working it out is to multiply the size(4 in your case) by itself and then again by 4, you should use pi for an exact answer but the results are close enough not to matter.

Now i am baffled lol that seems an awfully big opening to have on the side of a room 32"x32" almost !!,whats the p.i for the exact amount ?.

Cheers gna#1 :yinyang:

64 square inches, you can make it any shape or number of holes you want as long as they all add up to roughly 5x the volume of your extract duct, a slot 6"x11" would do or 2x 3"x11". Pi is the number needed for working out the area of circles( or duct openings in our case).

Ahh now i see what u mean !!,still thats some hole/s in a room lol .

I'm now thinking of using a non passive intake 4" wall extractor fan , i've just measured my available space and the floor space will be 113x171 cm with a sloping roof thats 172cms at the front and 1m at the back !!.

How do i work out the extraction needed for this space with a 600w open reflector to begin with ?,AND could i fit 2 x 400w closed 1's eventually u reckon ?.

How do i also work out the amount of air needed to be exchanged per hr ? :unsure:,then i no what filter ect i'll need to avoid smells.

Cheers for the help mate as i'm un-used to small rooms ffs so have to re-think my ways with temps control ect being very important now due to small space being used !!.

GNA #1 :yinyang:

Edited by Green Nation Army

Sorry to hi jack this owderb but 1 last question !!.

What good extraction fan/filter package can i get on a budget to do 89m3/hr of air ? , are the bulldog 1's on a well known auction site any good ?,has any1 used em on here yet ?,they dont seem to ring any bells as they are quite a new company aren't they ?.

I could get a tt with heat or speed control i suppose ?? , and run the 4" bathroom fan constantly replenishing with outside fresh air ? my mate with a shop has said the tt's are noisy little buggers ,but i suppose the foam box i'm gonna put it in will silence it a bit and if needed i can make a ply box to house it in ? or should i get a cheap room stat controller jobbie now available as i cant stretch to a twin fan room controller i have used previously (and i aint coughing up the £100 required either !!).

I know its a lot of questions but i wanna get my room enviroment 110% without 6" fans whooshing away in my loft as my walls are paper thin and just 4" block seperate's my from nextdoor !! :( .

Thank's

GNA #1