LED's. Dutch Passion thoughts and experience

DutchPassionTony

I grow in a 1.2x1.2x2.0 tent my yield is good for the strain i grow she dosent put out big yields but that's my choice as she is great for my pain had a bigger yielder but didn't do the pain job that this one does and i don't sell so im happy.

Cheers rasta :smokin:

I hear you man. some ladies' winning personalities beat weight ery time. glad it works for you.

Take care

Yeh im happy mate quality not quantity :yahoo:

Cheers Rasta :smokin:

Yeh im happy mate quality not quantity :yahoo:

Cheers Rasta :smokin:

You should be very happy with your 1 gramme per watt.

Plenty of people grow for years and never achieve anywhere near that even with highly bred and selected genetics.

Though why you got that from LEDs and not HPS is still a mystery ...

Edited by compostverte

So ...

Forgetting that the grower majorly under-achieved with the 600 watt HPS lamp - most likely due to inadequate ventilation for the extra light, we have a claimed 1 gramme per watt from LEDs - so LEDs apparently can match HPS watt for watt.

So what's the benefit of choosing LEDs?

Let's say £20 per grow in replacement lamps - no electricity saving.

Difference in cost £1,000 - payback time 50 grows - 90,000 hours.

.. except that no LED manufacturer claims lumen maintenance of more than 50,000 hours - so you only get half your money back. Interest rates are low, so £1000 in the bank would only pay out £30 per year and below inflation, but that needs to be factored in ...

So should we continue buying £100 ballasts, and replacement lamps or should we go for £1000 assemblies of 300 devices dependent on multiple fans to stop them frying ?

Perhaps we should revisit this when "Haitz's law" has produced the magical doubling in luminous output and thereby got the payback time down a bit ?

I'm starting to wonder what my hat tastes like, but it's safe for a while yet.

Edited by compostverte

So ...

Let's say £20 per grow in replacement lamps - no electricity saving.

hey CV mate

the claim is that 300w of LED produce (roughly - just under) the same as 600w hps. a saving of half the leccy.

If this proves to be true ... well the implications are obvious

No-one is saying they will overtake HPS in the short term.

Some lighting manufacturers are certainly claiming that LED has already overtaken HID, as did you:

Performance. LED lights have suffered from years of hype. So much so that today many people no longer take LED seriously, which is a shame as LED’s have just got their act together. During 2011 I saw LED grows that were just as effective as HPS. I reckon that a system that draws around 300W of power seems to deliver the classy results on a par with a 600W HPS, or maybe even a bit better.

Maybe this claim is correct but you do not appear to have much faith in it yourself anymore or the ability to provide evidence. I think you need to be a bit more careful with claims like this unless you can substantiate them otherwise you're just continuing the over-hyping. Because you belong to a well established seedbank people listen and could potentially make poor decisions based on the information you provide:

Is the cost not off set in a quite a short period of time, by the fact your power consumption is cut by half. Thats a huge saving on current elecy prices.

They only need to come down slighty for them now to be worth while. I was suprised at the results of those hydrogrow systems.

hey CV mate

the claim is that 300w of LED produce (roughly - just under) the same as 600w hps. a saving of half the leccy.

Edited by net2-3
  • Like 1

No.

The claim is he got 1 gramme per watt from LEDs.

His HPS grow was defective - got half the yield he should have got. 1GPW isn't that uncommon with HPS.

yes - it derailed my thinking too for a bit...

Edited by compostverte

would say that all this about led is smoke n bollox.

Plasma > LED

Lets start a new topic.

I reckon that illustrates that there's more to this than simple efficiency - perhaps the more expensive LED units are starting to work, but it becomes a precariously long-term investment for most people.

With plasma you have the delights of potentially turning your grow room into a microwave. :eek:

I bet they aren't cheap either ?

would say that all this about led is smoke n bollox.

Plasma > LED

Lets start a new topic.

I reckon that illustrates that there's more to this than simple efficiency - perhaps the more expensive LED units are starting to work, but it becomes a precariously long-term investment for most people.

With plasma you have the delights of potentially turning your grow room into a microwave. :eek:

I bet they aren't cheap either ?

I have no experience of plasma(?) but LED does work IF you are prepared to lash out a grand for a 300 Watt unit. I have put up a new thread where you can see how AutoBlueberry performs under LED. This is a first for me so it should be interesting.

LED had 2 challenges, price and performance. The performance has got there, and I reckon as prices come down gradually you will see more and more of them. I still reckon it has a few more years to go before the prices start tempting the average self-sufficient grower. But prices are halving every couple of years.

I will get another LED grow diary up when our test grower gets back from holiday

LED had 2 challenges, price and performance. The performance has got there, and I reckon as prices come down gradually you will see more and more of them. I still reckon it has a few more years to go before the prices start tempting the average self-sufficient grower. But prices are halving every couple of years.

I will get another LED grow diary up when our test grower gets back from holiday

Looking forward to it Tony

Cheers rasta :smokin: