LED's. Dutch Passion thoughts and experience

DutchPassionTony

Just as puzzling, why do all these people mail a seed Co asking info on led lighting?

That is wierd

Too right! Asking people who breed and grow a plant how best to grow it and their opinions on possible 'innovations' in how to grow it really is baffling......

• Like 8

Guest Wizard_Ovanoz

Just as puzzling, why do all these people mail a seed Co asking info on led lighting?

That is wierd

Too right! Asking people who breed and grow a plant how best to grow it and their opinions on possible 'innovations' in how to grow it really is baffling......

I get your point.

I'm just of to ask my light manufacturer about seeds.

• Like 9

Is the cost not off set in a quite a short period of time, by the fact your power consumption is cut by half. Thats a huge saving on current elecy prices.

They only need to come down slighty for them now to be worth while. I was suprised at the results of those hydrogrow systems.

Where does this idea of cutting power consumption by half come from, has someone actually produced around the 2g per watt mark with them? From what I've seen yield per watt appears to be lower for led than HPS at the moment making the power consumption worse, can point me in the direction of a diary?

One US guy has 800W of LED, which would be the equivalent of 2x1000HPS and he will grow Think Different under it, I have asked if he could post piccys here. LED is a subject that will roll and roll, I am sure of it now

Hey Tony,

How is 800w of LED equivalent to 2000w of HPS? I've seen growers hit over 2gpw with HPS lights, what's the best yeild documented for a LED grow?.

Those £1000 LED panels are currently only for the 'early adopters'. I wonder how many people would buy one if, in say 5 years , they were £200?

I would go for it. But not at say £500. Try googling Haitz's Law, you will see a good article on wiki. That shows a graph of how LED power has been increasing each year since the 1970's, so I feel sure that LED is actually getting to the point of being taken seriously for the first time.

One US guy has 800W of LED, which would be the equivalent of 2x1000HPS and he will grow Think Different under it, I have asked if he could post piccys here. LED is a subject that will roll and roll, I am sure of it now

Have always fancied giving them a go & yeah if in a couple of years time I could get them cheaper then I probably would by a couple but I think I would have to witness a couple of different strains under them as well.

H2

Its certainly come on leaps and bounds recently and as with any grow lighting is only a factor in your results environment and genetics also play a part, so im sure some who have their set up bang on would achieve good results with them.

The cost is an issue tho but on electricity savings could potentiality make savings but its the heat loss that has biggest advantage it enables lights closer to plant and also reduces risk of getting cought by thermal coupled with having seemingly normal consummation to utilitie companys is invaluable as it helps lower risks of being detected.

• Like 1

They certainly appeal to me for the main reason of being undetectabe and how close they can be placed to the tops, the only problem for me is the price but once they start dropping I will deffo be investing! If I don't get the same results then I would use it as supplement lighting next to a 600hps as it won't increase heat just lumens..

Hope those prices start dropping soon!

SK

• Like 3

So what you mean is wait another 5 years and they might be affordable for us normal growers ? :unsure:

Do people really pay £1000 for these ? I spent less than that on my whole set-up over a few years

Sorry to be negative but I can't see why you would use them

• Like 2

Guest funkfarmer(sb)

I for one am quite excited about the led-revolution...many of us growers develop a 'it works for me,I aint changing' attitude towards many new techniques and technology...remember the 'digital ballast give off a signal readable by plod' rumours?I bet many of us now are using dimmable digital ballasts...I am really ready to have my mind changed about the flower producing capabilities of autos over photoperiod strains,and in much the same way I would be really happy to discover that I could grow the same yield and quality of crop under LEDs that could be acheived using HID lighting,because it would allow me to be a 'greener grower'..the fact is that most of us are using our resources in a very flippant and wasteful manner..whether it be lack of knowledge or paranoia about plant number, many growrooms are vastly inefficient in their use of the energy (aside from sog/scrog)..

I for one say bring it on...the more of us try it,the more information there is for people who are considering giving it a go..I would like to think that an experienced gardener could encourage his LED grow to produce more than a novice HID grower,using half the watts...I will definitely consider LEDs next time I am buying new lighting

• Like 2

Sorry but wouldn't touch one with a barge pole :nono:

Why the need to tell us how great led's are, you work for a seed company :wassnnme:

Just asking!

we get lots of mail on this subject. Just cos I work for a seed company doesn't mean I have to ignore everything else does it?

That is wierd :wacko:

I guess a seed company grows quite a bit of weed when creating a strain, would you not agree?

Sounds as good a place to as any to ask the question.

Criticising someone for imparting some experience sounds a bit weird to me.

• Like 1