LED's. Dutch Passion thoughts and experience

DutchPassionTony

First of all, Dutch Passion are NOT branching out into LED light manufacture. But we DO get a lot of questions about them from growers who want an unbiased opinion. After seeing a few amazing results during 2011 I set about trying to find out as much as I could about these.

I have spoken to people that used them, I have spoken to the people that make them. I have spoken to other people in the canna industry about them. I am not an expert, but after several months of digging around I have got a good grasp of the LED industry. Here are my thoughts.

LED’s are small solid state ‘chip-like’ electrical components that emit light. You get low power, low cost versions in torches, headlamps etc. These cheap, low power versions are not good enough for growing weed.

Performance. LED lights have suffered from years of hype. So much so that today many people no longer take LED seriously, which is a shame as LED’s have just got their act together. During 2011 I saw LED grows that were just as effective as HPS. I reckon that a system that draws around 300W of power seems to deliver the classy results on a par with a 600W HPS, or maybe even a bit better. When looking at LED’s the key number to look at is the actual power draw.

Construction. Most LED manufacturers build their systems around red and blue LED which is the natural wavelengths for chlorophyll to absorb. They often use several slightly different red LED’s that cover a range of light wavelengths. Same with blue. Often 85% or more of the LED panel is made of red and blue LED’s. The remaining 10-15% of LED’s varies from one manufacturer to another. Some use orange ones, some use white, some use green.

1W LED’s vs 3W LED’s. 3W diodes are the flagship technology of the LED world and arrived in 2011. They have better penetrating power than 1W LED’s. But 1W LED’s are still an effective technology.

Costs. Make no mistake LED grow panels are expensive. £1,000 for a decent one that will use 300W of power.

The future. Historically LED’s see their power increase by a factor of 20 each decade, and costs drop 90% in the same period. It is called Haitz’s law. This means that eventually the costs must drop to a point where they will start appealing to the wider market.

My personal opinion. Obviously I wouldn’t have entrusted the worlds first public grow diary of Think Different to an LED grower if I was not technically convinced. I did get a few people telling me was I mad to launch it to an LED grower. But by the time Dutch Passion had decided to give the beans to Seymour Buds I knew that the grower was a pro, and I was also convinced that the LED panel he had was a top performer. The launch of Think Different was not just supposed to be a new AutoFem release, it was also about showing UK420 how far LED technology had moved in the last 12 months and how good auto’s had got during 2011.

So, let the discussion begin

• Like 1

So, a case of "We'll see", really, I think, Tony. Prices need to drop by a huge margin, and power needs proving more in the public.

Great read though, thanks :)

I think its very much a price thing, there is a guy i know on another forum who is using one now.So far the results are about comparable with HPS but he is still vegging.Lot of scepticism in the Canna world about anything new though and probaly rightly so.Bring it on mate :skin_up:

After reading Salty's LED grow diary, my view has changed toward them, doing the job needed that Is, but like everyone else says, The price needs to drop big time.

Zion86 :bong:

From what I saw of the Think Different, I was very impressed but as has been said £1000 for the LED panel is a helluva lot of money. I mean compared to induction lighting which does exactly the same thing in the way of saving electric, bulb life. Don't know if anyone has looked into these lights but I was very impressed with what I read, not saying I rule out LED but with the price at the moment, its a bit out of my league.

H2

Those £1000 LED panels are currently only for the 'early adopters'. I wonder how many people would buy one if, in say 5 years , they were £200?

I would go for it. But not at say £500. Try googling Haitz's Law, you will see a good article on wiki. That shows a graph of how LED power has been increasing each year since the 1970's, so I feel sure that LED is actually getting to the point of being taken seriously for the first time.

One US guy has 800W of LED, which would be the equivalent of 2x1000HPS and he will grow Think Different under it, I have asked if he could post piccys here. LED is a subject that will roll and roll, I am sure of it now

Guest Wizard_Ovanoz

Sorry but wouldn't touch one with a barge pole :nono:

Why the need to tell us how great led's are, you work for a seed company :wassnnme:

Just asking!

Edited by Wizard_Ovanoz
  • Like 2

Is the cost not off set in a quite a short period of time, by the fact your power consumption is cut by half. Thats a huge saving on current elecy prices.

They only need to come down slighty for them now to be worth while. I was suprised at the results of those hydrogrow systems.

I accept that in the future that there may come a time when I give them a go but it doesn't look like it'll be anytime soon.

• Like 1

I would pick one up if they were £200,i saw one used for vegetative growth last year,theres a Hydro shop in Javier 30 minutes from benidorm,I was going past when I noticed a reddish purple glow in the window,it was a dutch guy growing whatever sort of plants they were in the window under one,he was just trialling them,never asked him the price as over there the sun was gratis :guitar: but here in the UK?Yeah,I would throw £200 at one,why not :guitar:

Why the need to tell us how great led's are, you work for a seed company :wassnnme:

Just asking!

we get lots of mail on this subject. Just cos I work for a seed company doesn't mean I have to ignore everything else does it?

• Like 9

I would love to try a 300w panel for my veg tent as i feel that the led would be good for it and the lower power usage and heat output would have its advantages.I am quite open minded regarding leds but from what i read for example in a 1.2x1.2 tent you would really need 2 panels to gain the same coverage?

Well if my numbers come up on the lottery i might invest as a experiment.Of course you also need to realise that leds have a maximum lifespan and since you cant just change the lamp/ballast like a hps you have to re invest a considerable chunk once more to replace them.I imagine thet would negate any financial advantage to the running costs of leds and in fact it could end up costing you more.

Anyhoo i am rambling now and really must go to work :wassnnme:

HWZ

• Like 1

Guest Wizard_Ovanoz

Just asking!

we get lots of mail on this subject. Just cos I work for a seed company doesn't mean I have to ignore everything else does it?

Just as puzzling, why do all these people mail a seed Co asking info on led lighting?

That is wierd :wacko:

• Like 4