Dot's Sweet Brew

dotcotton

Congratulations on this fine looking harvest dotcotton and your well deserved nomination for GOTM, my vote goes out to you. :yep:

Good times. :bong:

Hi Amnesia,

Thank you for the kind words of support, very best wishes to you for the competition.

Nice grow Dot, gets my vote

Mm

Hello Monkeymagic,

Thank you for the compliment mate. Just seen your diary for the first time, some gorgeous bud you got there!

Some amazing buds there mate and congrats on this months nomination :yep:

Hi Serpent,

Thanks mate, nice of you to stop by and comment. Wishing you all the best in the final run off.

Putting the Harvest update together now, so hope to get it out tonight at the very least.

ATB,

Dot :hippy:

Excellent result there dot. Nice to see you doing well in the vote stakes too buddy. :guitar:

Best of luck. :yinyang: :yinyang:

• Like 1

Guest nelly123

Hi Dot some serious growing their dude, respect for the nom again m8 you deserve the nom buddy, you off again wi some more sooin? all the best man. Nelly :yinyang:

• Like 1

Harvest

16th - 23rd May

Harvested in the following order:

Black Jack #2 – 16th May

Sweet Afghani Delicious – 17th, 18th, 19th

Black Jack #1 – 21st, 22nd

Jack 47 – 23rd

All in all, the chop took seven days with different amounts of time spent on the harvest each day. As a result, the plants got an extended period of darkness, with the Jack 47 getting six days in total. Interestingly, the plants continued to mature and grow in this period.

Manicuring turned out to be a treat. Zoning out into a bud, methodically going for every leaf was an introspective experience, the process induced speedy creative thoughts - very therapeutic.

Here are a few images taken during harvest:

Black Jack #2 - 16th May

Black Jack #2 was the first to go, I took her out to see what she looked like without the net, and it was a beautiful sight. All of the other plants had to be cut out, piece by piece, as they wouldn't fit through the net holes.

gallery_69140_4098_216838.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_224977.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_297828.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_283109.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_141451.jpg

Sweet Afghani Delicious - 17th, 18th, 19th May

Not many pics of the SAD during harvest, quite a difficult plant to manicure, very tight, small buds that were quite leafy.

gallery_69140_4098_240591.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_324852.jpg

Black Jack #1 - 21st, 22nd May

I wasn't prepared for just how big Black Jack #1 would be. She was made up of enormous bud ladened branches, which had to be split up into bits to get out of the net. The buds came out massive, dense and heavy. Beautiful light green and frosty. Bud to leaf ratio was good, she was a real pleasure to manicure.

gallery_69140_4098_207443.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_119613.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_91947.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_207684.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_147277.jpg

Jack 47 - 23rd May

So by this point J47 has had 6 days in the dark with the drying buds. She has received a short watering of plain water each day to keep her alive. Again, massive colas that wouldn't fit through the net. She has definitely continued to develop in this dark period, with visible new growth and signs of maturation.

gallery_69140_4098_112491.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_300466.jpg

gallery_69140_4098_304973.jpg

Drying

gallery_69140_4098_155091.jpg

I fit what I could onto wire coat hangers at the top of the tent. In all, the harvest filled ten hangers and took up about half a sqm of the scrog net.

Drying conditions were perfect at 18C 50% RH for the first 6 days or so, suddenly a scorching heatwave hit and the temps rocketed to 28c. This meant that some of the later harvest dried a little too quickly, but after a few days in the jars, there is no real harshness or green taste to be had.

Dryng times:

Black Jack #2 - 8 days

Sweet Afghani Delicious - 8 days

Black Jack #1 - 7 days

Jack 47 - 6 days

All buds were crispy with a clean snap in the stem before going into jars.

Also worth noting is that the Jack 47 had rather light whispy buds which dried much quicker than the others.

Curing

gallery_69140_4098_80468.jpg

In their respective order, each of the buds were destalked and put into 1.5l kilner jars (ten in total). They went in crispy and brittle with little smell on the whole. However, I understood that curing would make the buds sweat and even out with time.

Burping every day, I have noticed a unique spectrum of scents develop in each of the jars. The buds have developed a lovely texture when crumbled between thumb and fore finger, perfectly dry imo, evenly fluffing up and dusting with slight pressure.

Yield

I have only just weighed everything today, as I have had to come up with an excuse to borrow scales from a friend.

Final yield results are as follows:

Black Jack #2

119.2g / 4.25 Oz

Sweet Afhgani Delicous

112.1g / 4 Oz

Black Jack #1

175g / 6.25 Oz

Jack 47

171.5g / 6.124 Oz

Random bits (mixed up during harvest)

13g / 0.46 Oz

Total

590.8g / 21oz

This doesn't include all of the bud that I have smoked since and during the harvest, which must amount to a good few grams also.

Considering all of the hiccups along the way, I was only hoping for 0.5g per watt, so I'm one happy stoned Dot right now.

gallery_69140_4098_3252.jpg

Edited by dotcotton
  • Like 11

Excellent result there dot. Nice to see you doing well in the vote stakes too buddy. :guitar:

Best of luck. :yinyang: :yinyang:

Hi Budelaire,

Thanks for voting and stopping by buddy. I see the cube has worked out well, very impressive stuff! Best of luck to you in the final.

Hi Dot some serious growing their dude, respect for the nom again m8 you deserve the nom buddy, you off again wi some more sooin? all the best man. Nelly :yinyang:

Hello Nelly,

Great to hear from you mate.

Thank you for voting and the kind words. I was planning to get straight back into it, but now I've weighed everything, I think I can afford to have a little break, especially considering temp issues I might have over the summer.

Best wishes to you buddy.

ATB,

Enjoy dot, no doubt your over the moon buddy, with a gotm to boot too it seems! :smoke:

Pretty cool for a first grow dude :guitar:

Well done pal. :bong:

• Like 1

Inital smoke reports by Mrs Dot

Hi Uk420,

Mrs Dot here, Dot's been a little busty recently and has asked me to put some smoke reports together for him. He wil upload some pictures later on as he does that a lot better than me.

So here goes:

Black Jack #1 - Dot's draft report

A pungent, ripe, Indian mango smell dominates when opening the Black Jack #1 jars, carried by undertones of star anise, over all it’s a really sweet smelling skunk, not sickly but just right. The smoke produces a real old school - slightly musty - skunk smell.

Upon toking, a bitter taste strikes the back of your toungue, not a bad bitter, but a flavourful refined taste, much like a good larger.

The buzz is very introspective, deep and dark. A perfect evening buzz, lots of staring into thin air followed by questions of what it is you were supposed to be doing.

The buds looks beautiful, encrusted with thc gems, a beautiful light green.

Black Jack #2

Had hints of mango but was a lot more skunky. Very smooth smoke. Very mellow buzz, comfortable.

SAD

Smelled of leather, diesels, very industrial also a hint of pine. Fluffy when ground, bitter after taste, gave me the munchies, edgie.

Jack 47

Very smooth, not as much as the black jacks. Also had the shortest duration of stoned, hits you in waves. Effect makes me thoughtful and ambitious. An energetic buzz.

Edited by dotcotton
  • Like 3

Enjoy dot, no doubt your over the moon buddy, with a gotm to boot too it seems! :smoke:

Pretty cool for a first grow dude :guitar:

Well done pal. :bong:

Hi Budelaire,

Many thanks for the kind words mate, very much appreciated :yep: Hope the cube works out well for you in the final mate.

Great work dott nice description too mukka enjoy my freind. nelly :yinyang:

Hey Nelly,

Nice of you to say so mate. Although, I must give credit to the fantastic Mrs. Dot for contributing these quality smoke reports. Best of luck to you in the final now buddy.

ATB,

• Like 1

Hey dot, congrats on the win and those are some great looking jars you got there now! :yep:

All the best

G

• Like 1

21 oz of Sweet Seedy Goodness :grubsup:

Well done in the comp as well and GOTM :king:

Go back to the start when ya were worried an that haha BRAVO dude Awesome grow :notworthy:

Looking forward to seeing what can be done with experience :magic:

Thanks for that Dot, spent many a stoned stare looking through your lens :yep:

:yinyang:

• Like 1

Hey dot, congrats on the win and those are some great looking jars you got there now! :yep:

All the best

G

Hey Gland,

Great to hear from you mate. Thanks for the good wishes and congrats to you too for the well deserved nomination.

Decided what strains you're gonna go for in your runner up goody bag yet?

21 oz of Sweet Seedy Goodness :grubsup:

Well done in the comp as well and GOTM :king:

Go back to the start when ya were worried an that haha BRAVO dude Awesome grow :notworthy:

Looking forward to seeing what can be done with experience :magic:

Thanks for that Dot, spent many a stoned stare looking through your lens :yep:

:yinyang:

Hey CK,

Thanks man :yep: I'm really chuffed with how the grow went. I have a new found respect for all growers, it really is hard work. That said, there's nothing better than enjoying your own harvest :skin_up:

It has been a real pleasure sharing this experience with you CK, thank you for your support and encouragement through the hard times and the good, much respect to you brother :beer:

Speak soon,

Edited by dotcotton
  • Like 1