random guerrilla photos

farmer boy

Posted (edited)

@crazy-sheep You don't hand about mate, Definitely putting in the effort 👍

Are the cups an extra barrier for slugs?

Edited by Military Grade
Spelling
  • Like 4

large.IMG_4032.jpg.d8b94ec7a9c5a499b1bb9bbb4cd1d46b.jpglarge.IMG_4036.jpg.c4bf7d3f8069d2b9852df47e5549ac1f.jpg

@Amarillo slim

See how this works out. Certainly more chilled out than taking the plants to the plot. Have found HFH seeds really dislike artificial lights and will go into flower early and often hermie. So this could be ideal.

• Like 11

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, growitandsmokeit said:

large.IMG_4032.jpg.d8b94ec7a9c5a499b1bb9bbb4cd1d46b.jpglarge.IMG_4036.jpg.c4bf7d3f8069d2b9852df47e5549ac1f.jpg

@Amarillo slim

See how this works out. Certainly more chilled out than taking the plants to the plot. Have found HFH seeds really dislike artificial lights and will go into flower early and often hermie. So this could be ideal.

Nice, looks good!

I did an experiment few years back with MWF started in same jiffy plugs, some indoors under light and some in makeshift greenhouse.  Planted at same time in same bed and the outdoor started ones all took off a fair bit better after plant out.  I’m sure best way would be direct sow but not so viable for obvious reasons! 

That above looks like should work just fine, and HFH being bred for northern outdoor for so long the plants probably tolerate the constantly wet soil OK.  Weaker genetics (with indoor stuff in heritage) don’t always fair so well…. Good luck 

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 5

Did a similar box a few years back.  They work well. Slugs will be a risk but think I can see some pellets.  I put four green ash posts in for legs and screwed a grow bag tray to them, that raised the tray and enabled adding vaseline salt mix to the legs, tray had an overflow hole and caught any rain quite well too.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Beer traps outside the box will help,  I reckon 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Yes I love these boxes I,ve used them on some big plots, a real stress reliever. But I'm doing mostly cuttings this year, so I'm wondering about rooting cuttings on plot. Anybody tried this?

I was thinking a tray of cuttings in root cubes in a sealed ziplock bag, inside a vented box in the shade. Worth a punt I think.

Edited by Bog Hopper
  • Like 4

The box is a great idea hopefully works well. I put quite a few ferric phosphate slug pellets around so hopefully that will keep slugs at bay. I left the lid off but bit worried how much rain is forecast. 

my backup is a load of s6 seeds I accidentally made a few seasons ago which I will put in the soil directly if I don’t get many plants germinated.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bog Hopper said:

so I'm wondering about rooting cuttings on plot. Anybody tried this?

gallery_91522_10826_33050.jpggallery_91522_13248_102560.jpggallery_91522_13248_552144.jpg

• Like 11
  • WOW 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like the cut had been dropped into a paper shredder bin lol

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, growitandsmokeit said:

I put quite a few ferric phosphate slug pellets around so hopefully that will keep slugs at bay. I left the lid off but bit worried how much rain is forecast. 

Ferric phosphate are a bit shit, but better than nothing.  Obviously the net / mesh stops a lot.  

Re rain, the original design allows for the lower vent holes to also act as overflow, preventing the plants from getting raised into the netting if it pissing down with lid off.   But looks like maybe the box you are using is lower height, possibly with holes a bit higher ?   I guess you’ve got a week or so before would become much of an issue, so can play by ear with the weather.  

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 4

Wouldn't use the blue pellets as they are fairly horrible to other things but slugs.

I had a check on them tonight and all looks good soil not too wet or the capillary matting. Away for a week or so so will leave it to the ganja gods.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, growitandsmokeit said:

Wouldn't use the blue pellets as they are fairly horrible to other things but slugs.

Yeah the old metaldehide are nasty but undeniably effective….  I try to only use sparingly / where necessary / away from wildlife which might eat the target animals. 

1 hour ago, growitandsmokeit said:

Away for a week or so so will leave it to the ganja gods.

Should have thrashed your testicles with nettles to appease them

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Have you been watching me? I tied a garland of nettles round my todger.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Things haven’t changed much, I still go and hide in the undergrowth when one comes over. 
GL to all  UK 420 GG’rs for the 24 Season. 
large.IMG_6025.png.fc28e671a26467a30c5d1b8bf2865e14.png

Edited by Lea Valley
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4