Offical IWS Thread

rollitup

Just about to start my first grow, no expense spared....

Im runnig an IWS DWC six pot setting up this weekend......pump question.

I was going to buy the IWS DWC pump with six way manifold and six air balls and run it same time as flood and drain in the dwc......But thats 89/90 pounds.

Anyone have any experience of using an alternative pump and air system or shall I just go and buy the IWS DWC Pump and balls?

Hi thedemon,

not sure why that bit of kit didnt come with the whole system set??? but all the parts that IWS use for there systems can just be bought online from just about anywhere id check ebay myself they just use standard run of the mill generic stuff.

If you wanted you could buy a air pump with a higher rate and bigger air stones than what they supply you with or just replicate what they are trying to sell to you. This is why there systems have little problems here and there its because they haven't innovated anything they've just banged together generic parts for people who arnt good at DIY and slapped a large price tag on it. Sadly im someone who isnt good at DIY.

How tall is everyone letting there plants get in these flood and drain systems? and any ideas as to supporting plants when there top heavy and bud laden???

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

It's it possible to have a perptual grow with the iws flood and drain system?

no because all pots are fed the same food

• 1 month later...

It's it possible to have a perptual grow with the iws flood and drain system?

I do, using lucas formula. Can keep em in any stage i want using that feed schedule

How Squinteye please advise ........I run an IWS RDWC system and i would love to know how to set up a perpetual grow.,.....im even contemplating switching to soil as that seems the only way to have perpetual...

please advise.

ok, first of all i have 3 rooms, 1 for veg and mothers and cloning; in this room everything grows under one MH light, once clones are strong enough they go into the iws vegigator i bought (check their own site for details, better if you can make your own) this veg's the clones until they are ready to be transplanted to a flowering room. I'll take some pics later so you can see. this cloning and vegging process takes about 4 weeks, i transplant when they are 9-12 inches tall (top once) and then more clones are ready to pop in to replace and keep the cycle going

the flower rooms are typical, iws flood and drain, takes 2 months to flower, 1 month per harvest between the two rooms. However you could (i did) have just the 1 big flowering room; fill half in one month and half the next.

the key to it all is lucas formula, the same feed ec levels from rooted clone to budding plant with no need to flush. Using this i don't have to worry about which plants need which food, it makes the whole process much easier.

• Like 1

Squint thanks mate.......your three rooms, are they tents? Id love to see pics on how you do this as ill get some great ideas to start a perpetual,

So your harvest "gap" is only one month?Thats excellent, id love a set up like that.....

Thanks Squint, i look forward to some pics to help get my head round your obviously efficient set up......

• 5 months later...

Hi guys

Intresting post from y'all :-D:-D

Im in iws 12 pots clay pebbles all cana feed.

My roots turning brown..

I beleive something to do with water roots and none water roots... someone spiked my brain with that.

So what i wanna ask you people, How do you guys do after taking cuttings?

I get my cuttings to root in a small root riot, once rooted i transplant in to a3" rockwool soaked over night in fomulex superthive and some root stim then transplant my cutting s to the rockwool.then my rock wools sit in a tray with about an inch of pebbles..roots strive very nicely , now once they rooted i transplant them in to the system , the roots developed real well popping out of the inner pot then disaster strikes, the root tips start turning brown and dying off haulting the development of the plant..

Any advise will be great... :-D:-D

Also the way i root them in the 3" rock wool, does anyonr beleive the roots are not turning in to water roots hence the tip turning brown once in sytem? If so how can i turn them in to water roots??

Thank you all :-D

Happy gardening :-D:-D

• 3 weeks later...

I've also used this method whilst the plants are in the system, when you have 20 plants in a scrog you cannot turn the pots so a quick blast of water down the pipe every week especially the weeks after turn over when the plant switches into growth spurt really helps.

Hi guys

Intresting post from y'all :-D:-D

Im in iws 12 pots clay pebbles all cana feed.

My roots turning brown..

I beleive something to do with water roots and none water roots... someone spiked my brain with that.

So what i wanna ask you people, How do you guys do after taking cuttings?

I get my cuttings to root in a small root riot, once rooted i transplant in to a3" rockwool soaked over night in fomulex superthive and some root stim then transplant my cutting s to the rockwool.then my rock wools sit in a tray with about an inch of pebbles..roots strive very nicely , now once they rooted i transplant them in to the system , the roots developed real well popping out of the inner pot then disaster strikes, the root tips start turning brown and dying off haulting the development of the plant..

Any advise will be great... :-D:-D

Also the way i root them in the 3" rock wool, does anyonr beleive the roots are not turning in to water roots hence the tip turning brown once in sytem? If so how can i turn them in to water roots??

Thank you all :-D

Happy gardening :-D:-D

Hi

I would ditch the larger rockwool cube. Would be even better for you to take your cuttings in an areo cloner style so have no medium around your clones an the roots are already used to being sprayed / sat in water.

This way I always get best results when transfering to the iws.

• 1 month later...

Just had my MaxiJet feed pump self destruct like a Mission Impossible briefing.

Was doing daily check when I realised the pump had cut out barely a quarter way into the feed, lifted it up gave it a few taps in case it was stuck but that didn't make any difference, opened the brain bucket and wiggled the float switches but again to no avail. So I lifted the feed pump out of the main tank, the case was rather hot and the rotor seemed to be stuck, so I lifted it out and was about to insert a rolled up corner of kitchen towel to dislodge what I thought was muck inside the case when it became suddenly very hot, the resin case bulged out in several places and from inside the slot where I was about to stick my paper towel there was a small puff of white smoke or vapour and the lights on the controller went out. I disconnected the mains supply and unscrewed the lead that carried power from the brain bucket to the feed pump, but of course far too late.

{cue Mission Impossible theme]

I changed the 5 amp fuse in the plug but the lights on the timer stayed uncooperatively dark. So I unscrewed the four screws from the box on the brain bucket and located a small 20mm fuse holder on the circuit board inside, a quick visual check showed that it had blown, I replaced it and tried again. Success, the lights on the timer came on and the drain pump fired up. So it looks like I'm hand watering for a while until I can get a new feed pump. Bloody things are about twice the price of the standard pump with a plug too...... gouging bastards.

gallery_45686_6316_263507.jpg

Peace

Edited by Laphroaig
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi I'm thinking about getting an iws 12 pot for a 2.4 x 2.4 tent but I'm wondering how you get the pipes over the tent poles and flood matts when all the pipes have to be level??