Hifi Thread

awol420

rtd; nice library. impressive sir.

anybody ever have an ar turntable. :B): rubberband man from the stone age. he he.

cheers all hant. duct tape. too funny.

gen :stoned:

got all my stuff second hand a long time ago (i was 15) its just a jumble of random bits lol but then sound quality isn't top priority at that age when you just want to deafen the street with 'on a ragga tip :smokin:

b&o amp in an old stainless/wood case , stainless pioneer amp and seperate tuner , sherwood amp , technics tape and some little jamo's , ive got a couple of cheap cd players somewhere (one was part of a stuck together stack that i cut down) haha . i just use the xbox/tv for music now its loud and good enough for my ears , im normally pissed anyway when music goes on.

• 7 months later...

progress :) ,assembled and functional if not completely finished . metronome cabinet design found online ,

6.5 hemp cone full range speakers 2nd hand from ebay , this is a 2nd pair of hempcones , the 1st pair i put

into a pair of small cupboards an thought they sounded quite good ... in a cabinet designed for em they sound

excellent , im very happy with em .

post-22330-0-23132400-1306919602_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

ok so this as turned into my own personal hifi obsession thread an there can only be 1 reason for bumping it again ...

some more new speakers :) aluminium cone full range (30hz-12khz)ok a tad short on the treble ,but plenty bass in theory

and as a bonus they almost the same size as the hempcones , so with a bit of adjustment(sanding) im trying em in the

boxes that started life as bedroom furniture , they will prob sound better in cabs designed for em as the hempcones did ,

its jus the quickest place to test em an get an impression , an so far i like em ,very clear without being harsh ,perhaps

a bit less bass than i expected , but thats prob the cab restricting em a bit , an tbh i avent played anythin thumpin yet .

enuff waffle , ill prob bump this again when i get em into cabs designed for em ... could be a while .

• 11 years later...

My new speaker cables have arrived today :)

Been listening for a few hours now. Wow, what an improvement, well worth the investment(£95).

On a different note, I am thinking of getting a tube amp. 

Anyone got any experience with them?

Cheers.

I was supprised how much difference speaker cables can make, same with some decently shielded interconnects.

Tubes can sound amazing with the right speakers, depends if you like tinkering or not really though, as they need re-biasing, tubes replacing etc. It's easier to get better sound from a decent class A solid state amp imo,

If you want to inject some 'tube magic' into your system, pick up a Musical Fidelity X-10D tube buffer amp, which you connect either between your digital source and preamp, or between the preamp and power amp. The V1's in the cylindrical case are easier to swap tubes, but the V3's come in a more standard case.

• Like 1

@Mugwuffin Took a look at the Musical Fidelity X-10D. No longer in production for some reason. Looks interesting, might get a used one of the bay but I would prefer to buy new. I guess if I like it, the valves can be easily replaced. 

• Like 1

Yeah I forgot to mention it's from the mid 90's lol As I pretty much just buy used gear, as it's far easier to repair (especially in the case of separates), and in a lot of cases the build quality is better. A used X-10D with some decent ECC88's in it will be much better than new Chinese tube equipment, and safer because it was made in the UK for 240v.

• Like 1

I can understand why you would get a DAC and cartridge new, I've pretty much given up on vinyl now, I don't think I can make it sound as good as my digital sources without spending thousands, so I've started selling it off, picked up a 'faulty' Luxman 70's preamp as my next project with some of the proceeds, gonna spend a few hundred quid on quality components,and do a complete rebuild, just because I love the linear equaliser (kind of tone control) on these models.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mugwuffin said:

I can understand why you would get a DAC and cartridge new, I've pretty much given up on vinyl now, I don't think I can make it sound as good as my digital sources without spending thousands, so I've started selling it off, picked up a 'faulty' Luxman 70's preamp as my next project with some of the proceeds, gonna spend a few hundred quid on quality components,and do a complete rebuild, just because I love the linear equaliser (kind of tone control) on these models.

Same here. I find that my TT is easily better than any 16bit digital, even when played through a good dac. 24bit is a different thing altogether. It is the increased availability of hires source material that has made me decide to finally go digital.

I'm a die hard minimalist but I know luxman made some trick equalisers that don't bugger up the signal. And it makes sense to combine it with the preamp. Sounds like an interesting project. 

I hit the button on a Musical Fidelity X10-D(thanks for putting me on to it). It has some upgrades which sound good...

The upgrades include 10 Panasonic FM series long life capacitors, 
2 chunky Amphohm polypropylene capacitors 4 Rifa poly props and Nichicon muse bp capacitors."

Fitted with 6H23n-EB valves.

I am going to have a good listen to it and if I like it I will buy a decent power supply for it.

I still mostly listen to CDs, as I was lucky enough to pick up a high end DPA DAC and matching transport cheaply when I was still putting my system together, it kicked the ass off my hires 24bit DAC I used for steaming at the time. With a good recording, it really sounds like the artist is in the room, and all instuments just sound 'right' I've only played a handful of records in the 6 years since I've had it.

I'm much the same, can't stand what most tone controls, and standalone equalisers do to the sound. From what I understand this is mostly due to to the added potentiometers, faders, and opamp IC's added to the signal path, where as this Luxman uses a rotary switch, and resistor network, and a couple of polyester caps (which will be an easy upgrade).

You won't be disapointed with the X-10D, and those upgrades sound very much like the kit I got from the RockGrotto forum, I think those are the Russian valves reccomended there too, it's been a few years since I've been there, they might still do their 'little pinky' linear PSU. If you can pick them up NOS, and cheaply the Mullard ECC88's sound very good, and if you want to spend silly money on a pair, the gold pin Telefunken's are even better.

If you want a decent "tone" control look for an original,not lab grupen,  dolby lake processor.