If Time Travel Is Possible

WeedIsFree

I could rool a perfect joint of a perfect cannabis and smoke it milion times :B):

And i would share it with myself in the present time :smoke:

Edited by Herbal Kint

If we could go back and alter time then the theory of infinite parallel universes means a new timeline would come into existence and no one in that timeline would ever know any difference. I don't know what would happen to the person who changed the timeline because if he stayed in that timeline he would be aware of two different timelines, given that the thing that he changed was sufficiently big for it to create big enough changes fro him to be aware he was in a different parallel universe. Current science doesn't see any chance of moving back in time, forward yes, if we can travel fast enough. The people who went to the moon travel fast enough for long enough that they are apparently 2 seconds younger relative to if they had not gone to the moon, they moved forward in time a couple of seconds. They know this because they had two synchronised atomic clocks that would vary from one another by a second over thousands of years, but they showed a two second variance in the space of 10? days, which suggest, not conclusively,

that Einstein's Theory of Relativity to some extent is true.

Edited by Hir
  • Like 1

You've probably seen this before, taken in 1940-1941

post-47427-1273727704_thumb.jpg

He appears to be wearing modern clothing and holding a modern camera.

Wow that is strange 'if its genuine that is'

He does look 'modern' to us that is...........

Madness, anyone know or where this was taken. Or know anything about it..........

• 2 weeks later...

Have a read of "Behold the man" by Michael Moorcroft. It tells the story of a religious man going back in time to see if Christ existed. He discovered that Mary was a slut and that her son was a gibbering imbecile. SO. The traveller had to BECOME Jesus in order for history to remain true. Ends with his crucifiction.

Damn fine book.

Also worth checking out "Chronovision". A television that tunes into past events and is still, according to some, kept in the Vatican.

Guest Nunsacred

I think all the time-travelling paradox stuff is just proof that we are misunderstanding what time is, and how it relates to the 3 physical dimensions.

Ok so those atomic clocks show that travelling at high speed for a long distance causes a relative shortening of time compared to a geo-stationary position.

But that's NOT time travel.

It's not as though the astronauts are actually able to meet a different version of themselves at a different age, or come back twice at different times from that journey. It's merely showing us that our measure of time is tenuous - relative to the observer - that's all.

Then there's all that guff about the speed of light, and not being able to exceed it.

There is no definitive speed of light.

Why does a stick in water look broken/bent ? - because light changes speed in water relative to air. There, right there, look....... there is no definitive speed of light.

You might talk about the speed of light in a vacuum but there is no perfect vacuum either - just degrees of proximity to the nearest mass.

And don't forget that mass bends light as well, so once again light is changing speed, and not travelling in straight lines either.

Grrrrrr. Don't get me started on quantum fucking tunnelling either. Jesus. That's just a catch-all convenient non-explanation for more rules we don't understand.

You want to know how supercooled helium climbs up out of a beaker in a vacuum to reach a lower resting place? Fine! Do some experiments! Don't talk about "quantum tunneling" as if that explains it in any way at all.

It's like declaring that life is based on 'vitalogy' and 'quickening'.

I've got myself really cross, tut. :angry::spliff::B)::soap:

:shutup:

Then there's all that guff about the speed of light, and not being able to exceed it.

There is no definitive speed of light.

yes there is.. C is the definitve speed of light.. this is how fast light travels in a vacuum (186,000 m/sec or whatever it is, I can't be arsed to google), and this is the speed that cannot be exceeded. It doesn't matter that light travels at different speeds through different mediums, because when someone talks about the speed of light, what they mean is the speed of light in a vacuum ©. I'm not a physicist but I'm pretty sure that they have experimentaly shown the value of C.

And don't forget that mass bends light as well, so once again light is changing speed, and not travelling in straight lines either.

how do you work out that it changes speed when it gets bent? surely it just changes direction? why does it matter if it doesn't travel in straight lines, I don't understand why this matters..

oh and the stuff about the relativity of time is important because it shows that time and space are interlinked, and opens the possiblity of wormholes allowing us to travel through time (and maybe not jsut forwards).. Also, if I can travel fast enough/use wormholes then I can travel thousands of years into the future.. I really do think that this is time travel, even though I take your point about not being able to meet yourself.

Edited by Randal Graves

Guest Nunsacred
why does it matter if it doesn't travel in straight lines, I don't understand why this matters..
It's just another over-simplistic untruth that we're all told during our education, just like quoting "C" when in fact there is no perfect vacuum either.

The reason that there is no such thing as a perfect vacuum is that it would require there being no matter at all, anywhere.

And I still don't believe that physical space has any connection with the abstract concept of time.

but C is a theoretical concept, it doesn't matter that vacuum doesn't exist anywhere (I wonder how close they get in a lab?).

So if it's an untruth we are told in our education to simplify things, what is the reality? I'd be interested to know why it matters that mass bends light in terms of C.

What do you mean by the abstract concept of time? time exists in the context of space, as a measurement of how long it takes to travel from A to B at a given speed, but I would guess that this is not what you mean by the abstract concept of time.

The more I learn about time the less I understand time. So far my understanding does not allow for time travel backwards. Nunsacred is correct.

For the bending light, it would cross a gap slower than light travelling in a straight line, so it would be slower relative to unbent light.

I do not know how physicists sleep at night, the little I know gnaws away for explanations and answers....yet the more knowledge I gain the more answers open up.

You've probably seen this before, taken in 1940-1941

post-47427-1273727704_thumb.jpg

He appears to be wearing modern clothing and holding a modern camera.

Wow that is strange 'if its genuine that is'

He does look 'modern' to us that is...........

Madness, anyone know or where this was taken. Or know anything about it..........

the Mackenzie jumper is a give away innit... its either that or a Morrison's bag for life.

yu`all shud watch the following...

sliders

Jumper

Back To The Future..

all the answers are in these Hollywood greats.... :spliff:

• 3 years later...

Would it be a crime to travel back and kill Hitler before he came to power knowing what we know?

Because of our knowledge not doing anything would be being complicit would it not?

Edited by Tevion

Would it be a crime to travel back and kill Hitler before he came to power knowing what we know?

Somebody else would have taken his place, he was a puppet for the corporations, same as all the other politicians.....

Edited by sam-i-am
  • Like 2

but then would it not be easier to kill his parents or one of them ..prevention is better than cure ..but then also you could go back and kill the rothchild that funded the napoleonic war ..or go back and kill ..kill... basically killing aint good tevion ..and theories on time travel and timeline events always ends up with one of two things ..me either getting aheadache or me saying 1.21jiggawatts ..i aint got a headache so im going to go with ..how ya gonna produce the 1.21 jiggawatts you need to get back marty ?

greatt scott ive got a headache

• Like 9

if time travel was possible it would have already been invented in the future. so maybe it has and this is the way the time traveller wants it

• Like 4