If Time Travel Is Possible

WeedIsFree

Guest weedmonsta

you wouldnt remember something from the future as it wont have happened yet... and if you travel backwards maybe you wont have invented the time machine yet so it cant exist if you havent invented it........

therfore i think it would be a one way journey

Guest grandad

i've seen video's about space travelers visiting us. the possibility of the increase in scientific knowledge in egypt, and its sudden decline, there were other civilisations similar. according to einsteins theory of relativity we can travel forward at a quicker pace into the future. can something similar be found to travel backwards, were the space visitors of the past from the future.

There is a train of thought that says time travel requires 2 devices to jump between, therefore we'd have to have a machine capable of creating wormholes on earth now in order for travel backwards to be achievable. Luckily we have the Large Hadron Collider, which when fully operational could well do just that, if time travel is ever possible its likely it will be discovered via a machine similar to that of the LHC.

:stoned:

There is a train of thought that says time travel requires 2 devices to jump between, therefore we'd have to have a machine capable of creating wormholes on earth now in order for travel backwards to be achievable. Luckily we have the Large Hadron Collider, which when fully operational could well do just that, if time travel is ever possible its likely it will be discovered via a machine similar to that of the LHC.

:wink:

If this is possible/true it means we can never travel further back in time than the time that the first wornhole is created...

In most instance when we board a plane then exit it, we have time travelled cuz we have to adjust our tickers..!!!

:wink: MW

I'm pretty sure an experiment was done where a particle was sent from one place to another, it actually disappeared and then reappeared elsewhere. If that is possible then time travel must surely be as well.

Edited by Puff Adder

Guest Healthystealthy
I'm pretty sure an experiment was done where a particle was sent from one place to another, it actually disappeared and then reappeared elsewhere. If that is possible then time travel must surely be as well.

your thinking of either Willy Wonka or Jeff Goldblum m8 :cheers:

your thinking of either Willy Wonka or Jeff Goldblum m8 :)

Highly plausible dude :cheers:

Then again...

http://www.research.ibm.com/quantuminfo/teleportation/

Am loving the idea of 'quantum internet' :unsure:

Edited by Puff Adder

just got this the other day - Sci.Fi.Science.Physics.of.The.Impossible.06of12.How.To.Travel.Through.Time :cheers:

former astronaut jeff hoffman has logger over 1200hrs in space @ 18,000 mph and when he was in orbit, clocks ran a little slower than the ones on earth .

he travelled 1.5ms into the future. :unsure:

just got this the other day - Sci.Fi.Science.Physics.of.The.Impossible.06of12.How.To.Travel.Through.Time :unsure:

former astronaut jeff hoffman has logger over 1200hrs in space @ 18,000 mph and when he was in orbit, clocks ran a little slower than the ones on earth .

he travelled 1.5ms into the future. :unsure:

Surley if it was him that was traveling then his percived time would be behind our recored time so he would have traveled backward thru time,

aka Carl Sagan's explanation in cosmos of the two twins one hops on board a near luminal vessel (cosmos used a scooter if I remember rightly)and his twin stays put, the traveling twin ages less than the home twin as relative time slows the fast you go, was my understanding of it.

Then again time is an artifical construct created by humans because of there limited lifespans.

So by my reconing he could have traveled backward in time by 1.5ms I may have this arse about tit again

Edited by groovelick

nah you've got it arse about tit - he's moved 1.5ms into the future (his personal time is behind the worlds time, meaning he has moved into the future).. if we make it a longer period it'll be easier to concieve - if we say that his personal clock was 1.5 years behind the worlds.. so he leaves now (personal: 2010/world: 2010) and returns in a week to find personal is still 2010 but world is 2011 ..

The Forever War (iirc by Joe Haldeman) is an excellent book which deals with fighting a war through wormholes and the time dilation that occurs.. great read..

Travelling into the future is definitely possible, we just need to be able to travel fast enough (close enough to the speed of light) to make it meaningful.

Travel into the past is a more interesting discussion and I see a few possible explanations..

1) We could travel anywhere in time/space + all time is fixed - so if we travel into the past, whatever we do has already happened from the perspective of the present. We can't change anything.

2) We could travel back to the point where the wormhole/tiem travel tech was first created (ala Primer or TimeCrimes (films)) + time from that point is fixed.. so we can't change anything.

3) We can travel through time and change anything by creating new universes when we change something.. we (as the time traveller) would/could have memory of the universe we came from, but we are now in a different universe. There is no necessary reason to worry about the fact that we were not born in the new universe, although certain paradox problems (such as killing your father) may still arise - or may not... The father killing paradox may not arise under this type of travel, because in the new universe, I no longer need my father to father me in order that I can travel back in time - my existence in that universe is dependant on my father fathering me in the original universe, which still continues along the original timeline (father has son, who travels in time - crossing into a different universe - to kill his own "father" (who is not really his father, as his real father is in a different universe). (Primer has some of this idea in it)

This whole idea raises the question of whether this is really time travel, or is it crossing universes.. and whether you would be able to return to your original universe if you didn't change anything (which is not really possible imo anyway), or whether a new universe is created if no paradox is crossed.

4) We can travel in time and change things, but are somehow prevented from creating any paradoxes, although conceptually I find this more difficult to imagine, there would be realignments of time to reflect the changes we make.. see: Timeslides episode of Red Dwarf or the earlier Dr Who episode with The Master from the new DW series.. some people might remember what the original time line was, or everyone might, or no-one might. Personally prefer the idea that we would create new universes doing this, it makes more sense to me.

5)We can travel in time, but only as observers and would be unable to interact with the world, and thus unable to change anything (see my dreams about establishing a time travel company that would take people to see seminal gigs/festivals).. I imagine that there is some SF that has this idea in it, but I can't think off the top of my head.

Personally, I don't like 1 or 2 as they mean that all (or some) of time is fixed, and we have no free will.. I know there is a whole other argument to be had about free will, but I choose to believe that I have free will even if I don't, or my life really has no meaning. 3 or 5 make the most sense to me. Or, of course, backwards time travel is not possible.

just a thought ...

time travel is meaningless, unless you relate it to spatial positioning. If you were to travel an hour back in time but remain in the same spatial coordinates, then you would be in the vacuum of space ... I know what I'm trying to say, but suspect I shouldn't have had so many beers earlier :-) ...

just a thought ...

time travel is meaningless, unless you relate it to spatial positioning. If you were to travel an hour back in time but remain in the same spatial coordinates, then you would be in the vacuum of space ... I know what I'm trying to say, but suspect I shouldn't have had so many beers earlier :-) ...

Very good point, would be funny if that was the main problem with time travel, you would need some sort of teleportation device as well.

That or just be like like that Japanese fella off that heroes programme somehow.

makes sense, but space and time are related - otherwise time wouldn't dilate as we move closer to the speed of light.. it gets more complicated anyway as any system of spatial co-ordinates are relative - where is your (0,0,0) point (origin point)? if it's Earth and you are moving from one point in time to another and wanting to stay on earth, then you don't need to change your spatial co-ordinates (as they move with earth).. but if your origin is the sun, or the centre of the galaxy, or the 'centre' of the universe then you would.. but time and space are interlinked anyway.. to travel in time is to travel in space, and to travel in space is to travel in time. kind of. I think.