If Time Travel Is Possible

WeedIsFree

Another strange thought flying round in my mind lol

Say time travel is possible. If you decided to go back in time and change something I think you would cause a paradox which would mean you couldn't change anything.

Example

A) is past event to be changed, B) the traveller from the present

Event A caused the event's that lead to B, B decides to build a time machine and go back to A and stop A from happening by some means for whatever reason. B succeed's but the instant B stopped A from happening B stopped the chain of event's which lead to B wanting to go back and change A in the first place. So the instant B stops A, B doesn't even go back in time.

Or 2) am I wrong and would B remain in that time line with their knowledge of stopping the A moment from the original time line?

If the first is true, what would happen to B when they stopped A?Would he/she appear back in the moment before they left with the knowledge of what happened?Or would they not remember?Would they even reappear? So many other question's about that alone, but anyway.

I think this would rely on human will being involved and I'm not an expert in the field of whatever time travel would fall into so I don't know if this would apply to every trip to the past eg. if you went back and just stood exactly still and were seen by no one it might not change anything.

But even then technically you would still have a small effect even if it was just changing air flow moving around you(butterfly flaps it's wing, could essentially cause a hurricane eventually they say?)but even then that alone might not change the course of the time line enough to stop you wanting to go back, so if it is possible for people to travel back it must mean that there is an infinite amount of possibilities for time to take BUT by being the thing which causes a desired event to not happen you would cause the time line to revert back to it's original course. I think? :yes:lol

That would also mean if someone had found a way of going back in time and changing specific things in a non-paradoxial lol (don't know if that's even a word) way, we wouldn't even know as it would just be our 'normal' past.

Anyone got any idea's on whether you could change an event in the past or your personal life?

Not that I want to, just thinking about it put's me off

Edited by WeedIsFree

IMHO the only time travel possible is travel into the future. And we're all doing that, one instant at a time.

Assuming time even exists.

IMHO the only time travel possible is travel into the future. And we're all doing that, one instant at a time.

well my watch says 0257 and what cant speak cant lie so there you go boo, lol, only kidding m8..

Oh yeah, this is a hypothetical thing, there are so many unanswered questions that would mean this is not possible, merely a passing blip and what appears to be a random thought proccessor in my mind but I thought it could put a cap on the whole time travel thing. I don't think can of worm's or butterfly effect can quite bring to mind the actual implications of such events occuring

You can possibly change an event that is 'set' to happen, but you can't possibly change something that is done and dusted ie this #4 post.

If you did manage to change even the slightest bit of the past, even say removing a piece of chewing gum from someone's sole, then that slightest change would ultimately change a hell of alot of things.............

ie that chewing gum was destined to be on ruperts foot, but ended up daves foot.

dave died that night, because his foot stuck on the railway track

well my watch says 0257 and what cant speak cant lie so there you go boo, lol, only kidding m8..

It's all way over my head, but absolute time may not exist, merely relative time. In a similar way, I guess, to there being no absolute reality, merely subjective reality. But I was always shit at physics and when I think about that kinda stuff my head hurts and I need a drink. Or ten.

lol But if I could go back in time, I'd go back to the moment my old man met my ma, and punch him in the face, cos nothing good came of it :yes:

lol, we both share something in common there, I'd smack my pa too, mind you i think even now he'd fill me in, lol.

Another strange thought flying round in my mind :g:

Say time travel is possible. If you decided to go back in time and change something I think you would cause a paradox which would mean you couldn't change anything.

What if someone already went back and this is the outcome of change lol mix that in your rizla lol

lol But if I could go back in time, I'd go back to the moment my old man met my ma, and punch him in the face, cos nothing good came of it lol

lol

You've probably seen this before, taken in 1940-1941

post-47427-1273727704_thumb.jpg

He appears to be wearing modern clothing and holding a modern camera.

post-47427-1273727739_thumb.jpg

Edited by robot chicken

I think time is only a concept that we humans have created to gain a better understanding of our reality.

Given that it's rather theoretical, I don't think you could practically manipulate it to effectively "go back in time".

The shadow from his ear looks to long compared to others in the pic but he may just have big jug ears.

also everyone else's face on that side is not in shadow if they have no hat on so photoshoped

Edited by groovelick

The shadow from his ear looks to long compared to others in the pic but he may just have big jug ears

He is one of them from the Reptile thread :innocent:

i wish time travel was possible ,i wouldnt of had them last few beers last nite!! :innocent:

You would never have to go to work again, would be like Ground Hog Day though :unsure: