Effects of differing wavelengths of light on cana growth.

Randalizer

i think the green light thing is similar to the way outdoor plants don't hermie even when theres street lights and the moon.

Two points: I've read that street lights have been known to cause a plant to stop flowering (Jorge Cervantes) and my green cfls are far brighter than any moonlight. and as I have said numerous times, they've been left on over night many many times in the past 3 years.

led's on heaters have been known (well claimed) to hermie plants in flower but its never affected mine , nor have a combination of street lighting/ moon / light coming from the house with my outdoors.

just because your green light is really bright to you doesnt mean it is to the plant , one of the main points to this thread isnt it :(

maybe im wrong and intensity of the interrupting light has nothing to do with it? maybe the moons light is green ?

i think the green light thing is similar to the way outdoor plants don't hermie even when theres street lights and the moon.

Two points: I've read that street lights have been known to cause a plant to stop flowering (Jorge Cervantes) and my green cfls are far brighter than any moonlight. and as I have said numerous times, they've been left on over night many many times in the past 3 years.

ive seen street lights affecting street trees ie localized flowering when there not meant to and in veg when theyre meant to have flowers on!also dont know if its true but i was told once tht plants cant actually see/register green light,dont know if thts true though

im not saying street lights won't affect plants , obviously they will if they are close enough as can a single led.

its the intensity of the light interruption compared to the light the plant receives in its day time period that matters. so after a day of basking in the suns rays the little light from the moon or a street lamp down the road will not be powerfull enough in comparison to bother the plant.

with the green bulb thing .....

maybe that light can be absorbed by leaves but not as easily as the colours we use for growing so in much the same way as the moon thing the little the plant can see is insignificant compared to many watts of hps meaning flowering is not fucked up in any way. that would explain the thing blayzd read about plants growing a little when only given green light?

experiment for rand i reckon!

2 plants (whether from seed or clone) 1 under a green bulb and 1 in total darkness. if canna can't see the green bulb then both plants should sprout and then die around the same time , if green can be seen then that one should live longer.

I have enough experiments thanks. :ouch: All I know is that extremely bright green lights and several red LED lights (which don't shine directly on the plants, unlike my green lights) have no noticeable effect on my girls.

And I'm so unconcerned about street lights actually. :spliff:

when lights are on in your flower room how many watts are being used? and what does that equate to in lumens? . how do those green lights and the few led's compare?

ive seen street lights affecting street trees ie localized flowering when there not meant to and in veg when theyre meant to have flowers on!also dont know if its true but i was told once tht plants cant actually see/register green light,dont know if thts true though

im talking about trees that r directly under or next to streetlights ie about a couple of feet away not down the road ,i only notice cause its part of my job to clear these trees for buses etc....ill shut up bout streetlights now :(

when lights are on in your flower room how many watts are being used? and what does that equate to in lumens? . how do those green lights and the few led's compare?

There are three, 1 meter by two meter trays, each has a 600W lamp on a linear over it. Green cfl's are abut 30W. No idea, nor do I care, how many lumens is going on.

...ill shut up bout streetlights now :(

Please don't on my account. Just because I don't care, doesn't mean others are not interested.

Edited by Randalizer

you don't care about something relevant to a thread you started ? :yep:

1800w of hps compared to 30w of light that if is seen by plants its a very small amount , im not supised you've found it has no bad effects.

still the only way to know if green is taken in at all is to try one under green and another in the dark.

KGB, it's cool i know what you meant . it pretty much proves my point about intensity , you seeing it happen on plants close to street light and me seeing it isnt a problem when they are a distance way :wink:

you don't care about something relevant to a thread you started ? :yep:

Lighting is a pretty big field with many avenues of exploration to uncover. It's not my intention to explore them all. As I have very limited time and resources, I just focus on the things that are relevant to me. That is one reason why I made this topic. So folks could do research for me and share their results here. :wink:

Hello people, this looks like a thread that will suit my questions.

Got a 400w ballast. Got a 400w MH and a 400HPS but have been looking at the Grolux Dual Spectrum 400w.

I'd always just done the veg under MH and flowering under HPS.

Q1: This thread makes me think I should do the first two and last one/two weeks of flower under MH. What do people think is the time to swap the bulbs?

Q2: How does a grolux bulb compare? Would it give good results if used from veg right through to harvest?

I've also got a 2x55w sunmate if that helps... what would people do with one sunmate and one 400w ballast? (Bulbs are cheap in the grand scheme of things)

(Sometimes from seed, sometimes clone.)

Cheers people. Look forward to any replies!

EDIT - Ah, quick re-read of the thread and single spectrums are prerfered to the lazy grolux option. Wicked.

So when to change bulbs, and would the sunmate help at any stages?

I'll trim that back somewhat and hope to get peoples ideas:

- I got one 400w ballast with one HPS lamp and one MH lamp.

- Doing a mix of 6 plants in a DR100 (tent with dimensions 1m x 1m x 2m)

I'd usually grow under MH and switch to HPS when going to 12/12.

After reading this thread I think I'll now wait to after two weeks of flowering before switching to HPS. (This seems to make sense - they would start flowering late summer eh, and many like a stretch about that time of life).

So: should I stick to MH for grow and HPS for veg or is using the MH for first two weeks of flowering a better option?

Thanks for any opinions offered!

@CheesyRhino:

I'd say it depends on if you grow from seed or from clone.

If the clones are mature you wouldn't see much stretch when you do the flip = go HPS from flip.

If you're growing from seed you would see stretch = go MH for 1-2 weeks into flip. (Depending on strain)

That is at least my experience.

Cheers ITTG.

Doing 6 from seed, 4 GH cheese, 1 lemon skunk and 1 rocklock (both from DNA, all via attitude) - have updated my profile

Think I'll play safe, split the difference, and call it a week! lol

1800w of hps compared to 30w of light that if is seen by plants its a very small amount , im not supised you've found it has no bad effects.

Moonlight compared to sunlight is an awfully small amount as well. Yet it just takes a bit more than moonlight to throw a plant off it's flowering cycle apparently.

I sincerely doubt that the ratio of light to dark for my lights is greater or equal to the ratio of light to dark between sunlight and the full moon. :)

Edited by Randalizer