Effects of differing wavelengths of light on cana growth.

Randalizer

Nice one, currentlty testing lumitek,

heya potsmoker93 :nea:

Very cool. :guitar: We have a stuck topic on e-ballasts (click) here. is conducting tests on said plants.

No problem matey, have 2 venues now, doing 3000w in one 1600w in another, from what iv read these ballasts are like 600-800w, due to the digital aspect, vertical, should be fun, wanted hurtilux, and top make ballast, could not find it in england, wankers :D, went for next best thing. Sent them an email sayin I want 8-10, got a email saying we dont do uk, sorry.

I keep getting this imagine, why did you move, well because could not get ballast in england, so though sod it will move to somewhere where i can get more weed to smoke and better lumen and par output. lol.

Edited by potsmoker93

check out NextGen ballasts. :nea:

have mate, cannot get them in england, imagine the postage assuming they are heavy like my maxi, cost a fortune, did look at them, 600 and the 1000, cannot get them in england, the hortilux drives me nuts, apparently it is the dogs bollox of bulbs, will never know, cannot get them over here.

Was eager to do a few in vertical setup, not gonna happen, annoying. spoke to someone on the phone, stated, you are the 4th person to ask for 1000w this year, was like what, the only person who sells them, we dont stock them or any wattage by hortilux.

Edit for spelling :guitar:

Edited by potsmoker93

imagine the postage assuming they are heavy like my maxi,

They are the lightest, smallest ballasts you have ever seen. :guitar: The 400W MH/HPS is slightly bigger than the palm of my hand.

the hortilux drives me nuts, apparently it is the dogs bollox of bulbs,

Oh you are going to hate me. I'm using a 400W NextGen with a 400W Hortilux Eye Blue. I also have Hortiliux Eye 600W HPS in me flower room with a 600W conversion from Sunmaster.

Hello all,

I have been experimenting using the blue light from my CFL to slow the growth of my kali mist whilst giving my indica cheese more HPS in the same tent. I have managed to keep the canopy even as of the first week of flowering. Ill post pictures soon.

About the Wavelengths of light; Pfr and Pr called phytochrome far red (Pfr) and phytochrome red (Pr) are proteins expressed within plants. These proteins are responsible for sensing the wavelengths of light so that the plant can tell how shaded it is and whether it should stretch or not. The spectrum of light goes from x rays to UV to blue light through the rainbow to red then far red then microwaves then radio waves. Blue light, is filtered easily by the leaves of plants, but far red light can get through the canopy much easier (much like x-rays compared to radiowaves).

It is this difference in the wavelengths of light getting through the canopy that the plant utilizes to determine its surroundings and whether or not to stretch or not. Blue light is a signal for the plant to say that it is at the top of the canopy and it is recieving the maximum energy, at this point the amount of Pr ebing produced is more than the amount of Pfr being produced and Pr makes the plant dense and broad leaved whilst Pfr makes it stretch for the light. There are other chemicals involved in the sense of direction called auxins but they are stimulated by intensity and not wavelength.

Im sure in cannabis and other fruits and veg that the red and far red ight is a trigger for more long term seasonal changes in the plant such as budding in autumn (which is a very red season) to produce seed for the coming winter. But im also sure that the blue light can help force plants to stay squat by mimicking the light recieved at the top of a canopy. I have one very short northern lights x5 haze kali mist, that i have been putting most blue light on, but it may be a different pheno.

The UVA and UVB thing is related to blue light and red light (HPS or MH). One of these will make your bud stronger, but im too stoned to chek now.

Adios. Nice topic, this is all plant science. http://uwp.edu/~higgs/Lect20Plant.pdf

Nice one Jason. Thank you for confirming my speculations about red and blue light in post 14 of this topic. I must have read that somewhere in my dim and distant science studies past. Looking forward to your next post.

When I get a chance, I will put a 400W HPS in me veg tent and see what sort of results I get. I'm kinda fearing it as my Jedi is already such a stretchy, lanky gal anyways.

lol

Edited by Randalizer

When I get a chance, I will put a 400W HPS in me veg tent and see what sort of results I get. I'm kinda fearing it as my Jedi is already such a stretchy, lanky gal anyways.

;)

I predict that if you gave the flowering plants 1 hour of HPS in the morning and night and combine MH during the rest of the day that this will mimick Autumn ( you may need to change the times a bit for a better mock Autumn ). There will be studies measuring the effect of differing wavelengths of light on the growth patterns of other dioecious anuual flowering herbs like tobacco.

This looks quite interesting. Im gonna give it a quick read. http://www.archive.org/stream/physiologyof...00hill_djvu.txt. It would be interesting to find out now how wavelength of light affects flowering now that we understand vegetative growth.

I predict that if you gave the flowering plants 1 hour of HPS in the morning and night and combine MH during the rest of the day that this will mimick Autumn ( you may need to change the times a bit for a better mock Autumn ).

Waaay too much trouble (at least for now). I like my HPS/MH system I have going now in me flower room. check out my 2nd diary for a gander. Near the beggining.

Yet another diary Randalizer, is there no suppressing the irrepressible :wink:

Good idea my friend, you can be sure Ill be following this one when I'm around :ninja:

:ninja: Nice of you to stop in mate. :wink: I was wondering if you know of some post around here that dealt with UV sensors in canna roots. I feel like it would be an interesting data point for this discussion.

Thought I would leave this here.

source

A couple of comments, from all the experiments we have done over the years with lighting. We have found that plants that have a high potential in their genes to produce potent buds. Will produce the most psychoactive results when a metal halide is used during the last 4 or 5 weeks of flowering. Given the choice of only one light at the end, for me it would have to be a MH every time. Using a mix of both types of lights produces a result that is close as long as both lamps cover the plants. A HPS on its own produces a very inferior result in comparison with the other 2. We have tested this time and time again using known mother lines and verified the results with blind tastings with as many as 20 people in the study. Every time they put the sodium buds at the bottom of the potency chart 100%! The only time anything ever came lower was with a sample grown with a son-t agro. Some of the people in the last test couldn't distinguish between the mixed lights and the pure halide product, but they tended to be light weights, experienced tokers mostly gave it to the halide only buds, but only by a slight margin.
Edited by Randalizer
  • Like 1

I was wondering if you know of some post around here that dealt with UV sensors in canna roots.

Found it here.

This is an important link to a UV discussion topic here @ UK420. Must reading for anyone who cares about the effect of UV light on canna (and you).

Thank you sittingrelaxing for originally posting this in the link above! :unsure: I believe this study data helps support my theory that Blue spectrum/UV light (MH lamps) promotes stocky growth in canna.

Which of course brings up the question: Does HPS light cause stretching or does the lack of UV light cause stretching? :v:

UV-B Light Sensing Mechanism Discovered In Plant Roots

ScienceDaily (Dec. 16, 2008) — Scientists have discovered that plant roots can sense UV-B light and have identified a specific gene that is a vital player in UV-B signaling, the communication between cells.

A study published Dec. 8 in the Early Edition of PNAS reveals that the gene RUS1 measures UV-B light levels and passes this information on to other parts of the plant responsible for growth and development. A low dosage of UV-B light, for example the levels found in shady conditions or under fluorescent lighting, can provide important signals to the rest of the plant and is therefore beneficial to normal plant growth. It helps young plants stay on the right track of development and aids seedling morphogenesis, but too much UV-B light can be toxic.

The study found that plants with a mutated UV-B light sensor gene become hypersensitive to UV-B light and even under low intensity levels of UV-B light, their root growth is stunted and they fail to grow leaves. Therefore the RUS1 gene is responsible for ensuring that young seedlings develop normally even when their roots are exposed to UV-B light.

It's unusual that roots, normally covered in soil, should have sensors for UV-B light, but the RUS1 gene is crucial at the young seedling stage when a plant's roots are resting on the soil surface. Later in a plant's life, roots can be exposed after rainwash, geological movements or animal activity.

The discovery of RUS1 provides scientists with a platform to examine other key genes that receive UV-B light and translate light information into how the plant should develop.

The paper's corresponding author is Zheng-Hui He, professor of biology at San Francisco State University. In addition to He, co-authors include SF State researchers Hongyun Tong, Colin D. Leasure, Xuewen Hou, Gigi Yuen, and Winslow Briggs from the Carnegie Institute of Washington.

source

Edited by Randalizer

Nice one Jason. Thank you for confirming my speculations about red and blue light in post 14 of this topic. I must have read that somewhere in my dim and distant science studies past. Looking forward to your next post.

Iv got an idea, on my next grow in my vegging because I will be using clones from the same mother im going to use a 400w under three plants in vegging MH 7200k and further away have 3 plants under HPS same wattage and same ballasts, same clones, this should give an good indication on light effects, same feeding ratio also.

Could be a usual experiment, may even do this in flower room also, compare plant size and yeild, possible problems if they pop up, in effect flower under different spectrums, or combines on a couple of plants compared to either just MH or HPS.

;)

Iv got an idea, on my next grow in my vegging because I will be using clones from the same mother im going to use a 400w under three plants in vegging MH 7200k and further away have 3 plants under HPS same wattage and same ballasts, same clones, this should give an good indication on light effects, same feeding ratio also.

;)

Once my garden settles down a bit more (still have to get rid of some thripe). I'm going to do a similar study in my veg tent.