Effects of differing wavelengths of light on cana growth.

Randalizer

On 14/12/2021 at 7:09 PM, Goohfy said:

Mh veg then hps with uvb for the last 3 weeks.Must say getting the place to hang the uv tube fucked me off with it being so much higher in the groom.but that works a treat and I have messed around with different light ratios.peace goohfy. 

Don't MH's have some UV in them though?

I vegged and flowered my last two runs on MH, and was super impressed with the results. I'd say you def get less yield...but it's made up for by more frost, tighter nugs and the plants are more compact, noticeably. My thinking is just too keep it as close to sunlight as possible, and MH's spectrums tend to be that way when they are in the 6500kelvin to 10000 kelvin colour temp range. For instance, they've always been the most natural daylight lamp for coral and macro algae growth in marine aquaria.

LED's can also have the correct daylight spectrum though of course, but it still doesn't look like sunlight subjectively. From what I've read, when it really comes down to it, Ceramic Metal Halide is the best overall light if we're talking spectrum and similarity to sunlight. Not cheap though!

• Like 1

On 14/12/2021 at 7:09 PM, Goohfy said:

Mh veg then hps with uvb for the last 3 weeks.Must say getting the place to hang the uv tube fucked me off with it being so much higher in the groom.but that works a treat and I have messed around with different light ratios.peace goohfy. 

Hope you are using wraparound sunglasses in there, or cataracts could well be in your future. Just a friendly FYI. :) You could also make a point of turning it off before you enter.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Amanojaku said:

correct daylight spectrum

I think this is called CRI(Colour Rendering Index) :idea:

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

On 06/02/2022 at 5:27 PM, Amanojaku said:

Don't MH's have some UV in them though?

I vegged and flowered my last two runs on MH, and was super impressed with the results. I'd say you def get less yield...but it's made up for by more frost, tighter nugs and the plants are more compact, noticeably. My thinking is just too keep it as close to sunlight as possible, and MH's spectrums tend to be that way when they are in the 6500kelvin to 10000 kelvin colour temp range. For instance, they've always been the most natural daylight lamp for coral and macro algae growth in marine aquaria.

LED's can also have the correct daylight spectrum though of course, but it still doesn't look like sunlight subjectively. From what I've read, when it really comes down to it, Ceramic Metal Halide is the best overall light if we're talking spectrum and similarity to sunlight. Not cheap though!

Yeah I am with you with the CMH but after a few runs with differing lights I am happy with the results with what I run.If the cost of power was no object it would change again.peace Goohfy.

• 2 months later...

Mixed lighting source room, hps and led.

Plants on LED side are shorter, tighter internodes and with much smaller leaves in general.

Is this due to spectrum? Is the smaller leaf a reaction to too much light? 

Just pondering.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 09/02/2022 at 7:54 PM, Goohfy said:

Yeah I am with you with the CMH but after a few runs with differing lights I am happy with the results with what I run.If the cost of power was no object it would change again.peace Goohfy.

So out of interest if cost of power wasn’t an issue what would you go for?

On 24/08/2023 at 7:56 PM, gavlp20 said:

So out of interest if cost of power wasn’t an issue what would you go for?

4 x 330 2xuv but that’s for me personally I am running two viper spectra 1500 pro and one uv migro which is just nice for summer pulling 318 watts but that’s summer and getting a place for the uv tube is a bit of a pain but it will change maybe as winter comes along.I personally think the leds are very good but I get better results topping and having a even canopy with the leds over cmh but again that’s my personal preference peace Goohfy.

• Like 1