My First Growroom

Mr Bucket

Cheers Chip mate, for the help. Velcro would be best, but I'm worried of the noise it makes, tearing it open. This room is directly attached to my neighbour and the walls are pretty crap. Maybe i'm just smoking too much and thats paranoia?!?!

Have you any suggestions on hanging the HPS so the height can be adjusted? I'm thinking of hooks and chain and moving it up a link as the plant grows...any better ways of doing it?

I dunno, chains clattering and velcro ripping in my bedroom...next door will think i'm into some weird bondage lark  :0

MrB

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Bucket

• hemp playboy

• chip

• mondoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi - I like the space potential - I agree with the way the discussion's gone so far.

I have an LTI fan and carbon filter with ducting - the 4" and it's good enough to work on a grow space 5 times the size of mine - they are very good quality - designed to run continuously for years on ceramic bearings - but are expensive - and would be overkill in the cupboard.

I use velcro as an extra seal - and it's very good. You're right about the neighbours thinking you've become kinky.

Though it can be handy as if they don't know you that well - they'll tend to give you a wide berth from now on...

...good for stealth.

I am incredibly stoned at the moment - I have a selection box of smokables and am on my third day of seeing how far I can go...

...the conclusion is: pretty far....

Wait a sec - I'll get my camera...

and post a pic in the bud section.

:cool:  :devil:  :cool:

Well...my first northern lights baby pushed it's head above the soil this morning :D I'm so excited!!

How big should i leave it till I remove the propogation hood?

I have tham potted in little pots about the size of a coffecup at the moment...I have large buckets to plant them in eventually..when should i transplant to these? (the buckets are way to big for my veg area :D ) Any help / advice about re-potting gratefully received  :D

(I know this is the wrong forum, but I thought if I keep to this thread, it would make a good chronicle from start to end of a beginners grow. If mods don't agree, feel free to move or delete. Please let me know if it's OK)

Thanks

MrB

Like two peas in a pod you and me Mr Bucket!

I just droped my germinated seeds into their first pots last night. 10 feminised Blueberry beauties under the light and raring to go. I will be very interested to see what advise the other memebers give on time scales to remove the prop lid and transplanting.

Good luck

Highestwolf :mad:

Inspiring reading, this thread, but be careful, the hobby is addictive, the product is not.  

I use small containers as a way of increasingly likelyhood of males, and experience says this is true.  Stress the plants and get more males.  From a coffee cup to a bucket seems a bit extreme, anyway, here's how I do it.

I transplant the popped seeds into 5 inch square pots, which is good for 4-6 weeks vegging under fluoros, at that point I either sog, and you can fit 16 1 gallon sqaure containers in a 2' x 2' space or give the girls the space they deserve and go to 4 x 3.5 gallon scrog (which obviously requires all females).

General rule of thumb in soil is 1 foot of vertical growth requires 1 gallon of soil, then again rules are made to be broken.  But not when are learning the rules yourself.

To precis, I start all seeds in 5" square pots and they end up where they end up, from 1 to 3.5 gallon container, depending on the weather and my hormonal cycle.

Soil potting advice from me would be,

-if new, use 50 % perlite to 50 % soil (+ additions) almost impossible to over water, and too much love has killed more plants than too little.

-There is never enough room in a pot so err on the side of LARGE

-I use superthrive to ease transplant shock, others consider it snakeoil, your call.

-Always use a agricultural sand/coco husk mulch (top dressing) to stave off pesky fungus gnats.

-Don't use peat based compost, environmenmtal nightmare and a bugger to balance the pH.

I have more but I must stop

U

ps I envy the learning curve you are living through, it only gets better.  stay safe.

Thanks for advice utopiate.

Is it essential to keep an eye on PH? I have no means of measuring it. I've seen soil testing kits in local nurserys but no meters, are they worth getting. I don't have any hydroshops round by me, so need to get whats available at the bog standard nursery. Is supethrive something i can probably get?

Thanks again

MrB

Just a little update on my grow...

I have three baby northern lights plants now. Has anyone any comments on the health of them esp. NL3 which has me worried. What size should they be before I transplant to bigger pots?

Here they are:

post-49-95660-nl1.jpg

I have taken them out of the propogation box now. Is the time right? Are they big enough for some indirect fan?

Thanks

MrB

hello m8

is the last pic of two plants side by side?

you may need to move one to another pot as theyll be cramped for space as they can get very wide :dj:

Hi Mondoon

No this came from one seed! I really don't know what to do about it..I had 5 seeds and still have two in the bag, so deffo came from one seed...anyone tell me what to do for the best? shall i try to split it? or just see what happens?

thanks

MrB

Ooh, twins :dj:

Looks like a great space Mr B and I agree with advice so far.  SOG or SCROG will be the way to go once you've got a good sized mother but I'd go for a straight up (maybe topping/FIMing/twisting) for the first grow so you get some smoke earlier.

The top looks ideal for cloning/bonsai mother type behaviour, again ensure full light proofing between top and bottom or your 24/0 photoperiod on the clones will wreck your budding.

If you go for a good balanced soil mix with some lime and don't get too keen with acidic ferts PH shouldn't be a problem but if you're worried you can buy a cheap probe tester for £5 in B&Q.  Soil is also better from the "will I go to prison?" point of view.  John Innes no.3 is a very good basis for your main mix.  I put clones in peat pots straight into their final containers (10 litre) and it worked a treat.  (see grow pics)

Good luck and good growing :D

Plants look good so far - no stretching or nute difficulties.

pH may be a problem later as flowering benefits from a lower pH reading.

I've just bought a device from a company called goldendays.uk.com - website is now shut - but they do a really good tool - that I haven't been able to find at a better price in the country - its an electronic pH meter and nutrient indicator combined for £12.99 - yes - that is very cheap for the electronics.

It should be ideal for soil growing - keeping a check of the pH IN the medium and also give you advance warning of under/over feeding.

You can mail order - though they take an age to send stuff. A handy device to have no less.

Their phone number is 01255 424247 - and you can get them to send you a catalogue - it's small and mostly full of kids games - but the order code for the meter is 090 to save time - I haven't seen this available anywhere else in the UK - despite being made here.

It could be in your local garden centre for all I know... but it's definitely not in any of mine.