My First Growroom

Mr Bucket

Hi All

I'm looking for advice on the best plan for my space. It comprises of a in-the-wall type cupboard with a smaller area above...The size is approx 3ftX3ft and 8 ft height total (split about 6ft & 2ft) for both areas. I have got hold of a 400WHPS...anyway heres a picture of it:

post-49-27244-pic2.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Bucket

• hemp playboy

• chip

• mondoon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont know whether its best to use the top space to house the HPS or leave the HPS where it is now...

post-49-27336-pic1.jpg

Any help gratefully recieved....I'd like to fit a veg area here to if possible..I realise i will probably have to invest in a extraction fan and maybe carbon filter for the pong..

The loft is above this room, so it shouldn't be too difficult..

Inspire me! Please  :mad:

Thanks

MrB

post-49-27539-pic3.jpg

these options are just me thinking of ways to have a nice wee grow unit

option 1

you could use mono's method of individual plants in a container of its own either soil or some substrate such as perlite and vermiculite (although i think mono has a seperate veg area to prepeare his next population) ,this method means the grow room is poulated once with lots of clones or seedlings at the start of the grow and all are in the room for whatever the vegetavie and flowering photoperiod is (10-16 weeks in total depending on the strain)

i am sure his grow area is 3 feet by 3 feet

post-47-38132-05_01_01.jpg

option 2

you could buy a hydro unit such as gro-tank and have a harvest of around 4 -6 plants every 10-12 weeks .this system enables plants root system to intermingle and get tied together ,it is very hard to move individual plants in and out of a gro-tank therefore it is usually used in a grow room with one light ,similar to option 1 but easier to water as you only need to keep an eye on the reservoir below the plants

option 3

if you are going to have a seperate veg area buy a modular hydro unit such as a dutch dripper system ,this system consists of three trays in which 3 plants sit on each tray (9 plants in total), this enables a rotation system to be used by moving three new plants into the grow room whenever the first three are flowered and ready to be cut (this enable the grower to dedicate the grow room to a 12-12 light schedule making it a flower room)

if you moved three new plants into the flower room every 2 weeks you would have a harvest of three plants every two weeks after 6 weeks of the rotation (using a 6 week flower period ,such as blueberry's)

heat is going to be an issue so you will definalty need an intake and extractor fan (your plants will benefit tremendously if you fit them)

if you wanted to house the light in the section above you would have you get a jig saw ,mark out a hole that is the exact dimensions of your light in the shelf above in the middle.

also you could put a heat shield across the hole you cut out by using a piece of toughened glass, this will keep the heat relatively low in the grow space

when you decide what type of method you are going to use ,it will be much easier to give you a few more ideas

peace

the d.o.c :thumbs:

Hi DOC

I'm probably going to try with soil first, as there seems less to go wrong if I stay as close to nature as possible. Also it was Mono's blueberry pics that made me think I GOTTA grow!

Has anyone got a cheap source of fans?? I've been looking at the LTI 5in fan on growell..This costs 90 quid plus 90 for a carbon filter plus extra for some ducting. So has anyone seen anything else that would be low noise/odour for less than 200 quid?

thanks

MrB

Hi,

In the UK many of us are lucky to have these little perfect growspaces upstairs in our 2-bed Victorian terraces....perfect size, vented to the loftspace...

I'm going to work now but I'll come back and get some photos up of my whole space  + my "veg area"....because this SOG method cuts right down on veg time, my veg area is tiny....it's a shelf of a bookcase, with 2x2' 18w flouros, and closed in with mylar...It's 2'x1'x14"high, but it's all I need....I can raise 25 clones in that space and bring them nice and slowly up to 12" in their 3" pots, by the time they are outgrowing their space the flowerroom is freed up and the clones go in for a week or so vegging under the 600wHPS, before switching to 12/12.....

Mr B those Lti fans are great but I don't think you need it for such a small space.....even with a 600w lamp my cheap(£25) bathroom extractor (Homebase or similar) moves 85cu m/hr and is more than enough for the space....I extract direct into the loft, and have a 6" clip on fan suspended and pointing directly onto the lamp bulb to move the hot air up and away....

Hanging the lamp in the space above would look tidy and you'd save a lot of heat/venting issues....BUT, you'd find it harder to raise and lower the lamp to adjust to your plants' growth rates...you want to keep your lamp as close as you can to  the plants without burning, and up at 6 foot the plants are going to need to get to 4.5-5' before they can really take advantage....unless you stand your plants on a giant hydraulic platform you can raise and lower accordingly....

Usind SOG method you can harvest every (flower period +1 week).....my current plant flowers in 43 days so Im looking at a full harvest every 50 days, no pinching = more solid better quality buds, more packed colas....

I'm a recent convert to SOG and the harvest you see on these boards was my first attempt....I am so impressed with this technique I now can't see why I've spent so long growing giant pinched trained and bushy plants.....

Gotta go to work now.....finish later with photos....

Mono....x

Hmmm food for thought, mono

How noisy is the fan? does it run 24/7 or just when the light is on? do you not find the smell in the loft seeps out, maybe even into next doors loftspace?

I look forward to seeing them pictures ;)

thanks for being so helpful guys

MrB

hello sir!

I like the room but the only problem i see is the door it seems to let in/out way to much light  ???

the problem with this is obviously if anyone sees it it will be hard to cover up what your doing in there, especially with the 18 hours of light you need for the grow period, and secondly the plants need 100% dark for their sleep period which will be hard to do as of all the light the door slats will let in ;)   maybe you could use thick tarpooling to put insidethe room to cover over the door??? or even better buy another door a new one will only cost £22 from do it all!!!  peace

Yes, I'll be taking a visit to the local DIY places today to see what I can find to lightproof it...Thanks for mentioning it

MrB

Ohh I am jealous Mr Bucket, I'd kill for a space like that right now. Well maybe not kill...maim slightly...maim myself?? ;)

;)..i just hope it works out for me! I have a few blueberry and a few northern lights seeds i put in water last night..no sign of any busting open yet :D

MrB

High Mr Bucket

Good luck in your grow, looks like you could be onto a winner! ;)

Just backing up what Mondoon has said, make sure you make the room light tight. If you can see any coming out, AT ALL, then light can get in. Its worth spending the extra time making it totally light tight.

Take it easy

Chip

PS. I  think youve already done the best thing to help with your grow already, and thats joining this site. There's always someone with a good answer here, you just gotta ask!

;)

OK...been to get more supplies..

I have a 4in in-line duct fan to vent into the loft (£15+vat)..if i just drill a few holes in the floorboards (bottom) as an air intake and have the ducting coming in at the top, will this work ok?

I have 4 X 18W fluoro's to make a veging/cloning area somewhere..is this enough light?

Could I put the veging area in the top cupboard do you reckon? will it get too hot? does this need new air too, or would passive ventilation do?

The only idea i have had so far on lightproofing is to nail linoleum onto the inside of the frame, with a split down the middle...have the two halves of lino overlapping slightly and maybe glue little magnets along the split so that they hold together when a fan is running...anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks for the support guys ;)

MrB

Hi again Mr B

4 x 18w flouro's is plenty for a veg chamber. I only have 2 in mine. It looks like you should e able to put them above your main chamber, just check the temperature etc. A small amount of heat coming from below could help keep whatever you put your clones into warm. This will help the rooting process when you first take cuttings. Again you just need to make sure that no light from here can leak into the flowering chamber below.

The lino sheets might work. A better way of sealing them would be to glue or sew velcro onto the sheets, giving you a good tight seal.

Your just a few months away from smoking your own, cool!

:rock:

Chip