Build A Contactor/relay

the d.o.c

i sorry for the delay but i ve just been called into work

what i mean by 2 supply's is two 13amp plugs going to two separate pole on the contactor to balance out the load.so instead of having 1 plug supplying

all the lights and heater you would have 2 i ll will do you a drawing later when i get home at about 6:30pm and post it here

hi sexisarh

no that has only 2 normally open contacts, you need 3.

Thanks mate,

You couldn't point me in the right direction please for a contactor for a 600w light.

hi sarha

Item number: 150587427146, make sure the ballast is protected by a suitable fuse.

Ok, got this mate,

While you're here could you tell me what goes where? There seems to be a lot of terminals!! I'm perfectly capable of putting it all together safely just need to know what to put where. Thanks in advance.

Ss

ok L1 L2 L3 are your incoming ie the mains so just use 1L1 live 3L2 neutral

2t1(brown wire)live and 4t1(blue wire)neutral go to your ballast

A1 and A2 are the coil

A1 is the live from your timer(brown wire) and A2 is the neutral(blue wire)from your timer

dont forget to join all green and yellow to gether you can use a spare terminal on you contactor ie all green and yellow cables goto 5L3

Edited by splifi

what i mean by 2 supply's is two 13amp plugs going to two separate pole on the contactor to balance out the load.so instead of having 1 plug supplying

all the lights and heater you would have 2 i ll will do you a drawing later when i get home at about 6:30pm and post it here

Ah the problem I have is that the room only has 2 x 2 sockets. I dont have a heater yet either. I wanted to use 1 x 2 sockets for lights and 1 x 2 sockets for other bits

Ah the problem I have is that the room only has 2 x 2 sockets. I dont have a heater yet either. I wanted to use 1 x 2 sockets for lights and 1 x 2 sockets for other bits

Is this what you mean?

post-54829-0-94112800-1302876217_thumb.jpg

you could use the incoming side of your contactor and run a cable going to a socket as long as you dont exceed 13amp in total including your light if that makes sense

you could use the incoming side of your contactor and run a cable going to a socket as long as you dont exceed 13amp in total including your light if that makes sense

Well 2400w / 230v = 10amps or there abouts so maybe ill be ok with it running on the two sockets (1 for mains and 1 for timer)?

hi sexisarh

no that has only 2 normally open contacts, you need 3.

Thanks mate,

You couldn't point me in the right direction please for a contactor for a 600w light.

hi sarha

Item number: 150587427146, make sure the ballast is protected by a suitable fuse.

Ok, got this mate,

While you're here could you tell me what goes where? There seems to be a lot of terminals!! I'm perfectly capable of putting it all together safely just need to know what to put where. Thanks in advance.

Ss

ok L1 L2 L3 are your incoming ie the mains so just use 1L1 live 3L2 neutral

2t1(brown wire)live and 4t1(blue wire)neutral go to your ballast

A1 and A2 are the coil

A1 is the live from your timer(brown wire) and A2 is the neutral(blue wire)from your timer

dont forget to join all green and yellow to gether you can use a spare terminal on you contactor ie all green and yellow cables goto 5L3

True gent. Thank you.

your live(brow wire) from your plugtop would goto 1 and and the neutral(blue wire) from your plugtop would goto 3

The live(brown wire) out to your ballast would goto 2 and the neutral(blue wire)would goto 4

A1 and A2 are your coil so these come from your timer

A1 = live

A2 = Neutral

My ballasts alraedy have a plug top on them. My plan was to plug all the 4 plug tops into an individual plug socket (like the ones you have in your house) then wire from them plug sockets to the 2 + 4 terminals. Would I be ok doing it like this? So effectively I would be using 1 x 2 PLUG Socket in House.

Plug one for timer and plug 2 for the contactor. From contactor I would then connect to a further 4 plug sockets with each being connected to a ballast.

I plan on using 1.5mm 3 core for the timer and a 2.5mm for the rest? That all sound ok?

The wiring and cable size are fine but 2.4kw is about 10 amp it may blow the 13amp fuse when you first switch it on as ballast have a large start up current than running current so thinking about it a 4 pole contactor would be better using 2 separate supply for each 1kw light and just conect the heater to one of the pole used for one light

here is a quick sketch if you dint understand anything just ask :wink:

you can cut the plug tops off and connect them directly to the contactor as on the drawing

post-63634-0-64034500-1302878730_thumb.jpg

Edited by splifi

your live(brow wire) from your plugtop would goto 1 and and the neutral(blue wire) from your plugtop would goto 3

The live(brown wire) out to your ballast would goto 2 and the neutral(blue wire)would goto 4

A1 = live

A2 = Neutral

My ballasts alraedy have a plug top on them. My plan was to plug all the 4 plug tops into an individual plug socket (like the ones you have in your house) then wire from them plug sockets to the 2 + 4 terminals. Would I be ok doing it like this? So effectively I would be using 1 x 2 PLUG Socket in House.

Plug one for timer and plug 2 for the contactor. From contactor I would then connect to a further 4 plug sockets with each being connected to a ballast.

I plan on using 1.5mm 3 core for the timer and a 2.5mm for the rest? That all sound ok?

The wiring and cable size are fine but 2.4kw is about 10 amp it may blow the 13amp fuse when you first switch it on as ballast have a large start up current than running current so thinking about it a 4 pole contactor would be better using 2 separate supply for each 1kw light and just conect the heater to one of the pole used for one light

you can cut the plug tops off and connect them directly to the contactor as on the drawing

So basically as per my sketch but forget my 4 gang extention cable? That drawing only shows 2 lights? how would I connect all 4?

A1 = live

A2 = Neutral

So basically as per my sketch but forget my 4 gang extention cable? That drawing only shows 2 lights? how would I connect all 4?

just double them up on the output of your contactor or like you drew use a 4 gang extension coming from your contactor sorry i missed your drawing as i am using my iphone from work

Edited by splifi

A1 = live

A2 = Neutral

just double them up on the output of your contactor or like you drew use a 4 gang extension coming from your contactor sorry i missed your drawing as i am using my iphone from work

Yeah ok will do! Do you think that it sorta defeats the object of using 2 x 13 amp sockets and 1 x 13 amp socket for the timer when all 4 ballasts are going to be in 1 x 13amp 4 gang extention lead? really apprechiate you taking the time to reply.

I see what you are thinking but it's the current(load) that your lights take on start up which will kill your timer the contactor is basically a big switch controlled by a little switch(your timer) just like your soliniod switching your starter motor on your car

Edited by splifi

Just something make sure your 4 way extension is a good one with 1.5mm cable min not a cheap one from pound shop when using any sockets ect I always use Mk they are about the best around they are more expensive but worth it plus I knick them from work lol

Just something make sure your 4 way extension is a good one with 1.5mm cable min not a cheap one from pound shop when using any sockets ect I always use Mk they are about the best around they are more expensive but worth it plus I knick them from work lol

Splifi,

Thanks so much for all your help. I finally get what you are saying and afterwards I am going to do a drawings with some pictures for others to benefit from almost 8 hours of messaging on a sticky post lol.

So here is what I am going to do...

Exactly as you said but get my 4 gang socket and replace the standard 1.5mm2 cable with 2.5mm and wire that directly into my contactor. All cable will be 2.5mm except from cable going from light to ballast (600w is not going to need more than 1.5mm2).

I am thinking maybe I am better off getting that big box with the ON OFF Switch as its a contactor and enclosure all in one, but also like the idea of having the consumer unit because I can also put my fans and all other equipment on a contactor? What you think?

Sounds good that mate it will be a top job I ll post a pic of my contractor ect tomorrow won't get home from work till at least 10:30 pm now or I would post it straight away

If u need any help with elec just pm and I ll help if I can