Build A Contactor/relay

the d.o.c

compostverte,

i dont mean to sound rude, 40 amp contactor is bit of an over kill, running 2 * 250w bulbs would be running at 2.1amps after start up

I'm lucky that I have managed to scavenge good second-hand ones. :)

They're very reassuring though and go well with my over-engineered 15 year old ballasts. (There was sufficient room inside the large steel boxes for the contactors !)

Edited by compostverte

hi jurassic

you need a min of a 3 pole contactor normally open, this will do Item number: 370500371239 ebay, make sure the ballast is protected by a suitable fuse. your 4 600w bulbs use just over 10 amps.

compostverte,

i dont mean to sound rude, 40 amp contactor is bit of an over kill, running 2 * 250w bulbs would be running at 2.1amps after start up

Thanks! Ill get bidding but why 3 pole? I thought a 3 pole was used when you switch the earth

hi jurassic

you need a min of a 3 pole contactor normally open, this will do Item number: 370500371239 ebay, make sure the ballast is protected by a suitable fuse. your 4 600w bulbs use just over 10 amps.

compostverte,

Thanks! Ill get bidding but why 3 pole? I thought a 3 pole was used when you switch the earth

you need a 3 pole norm open, so when contactor operates it switches L N E. make sure ballast is protected by a suitable fuse

hi jurassic

compostverte,

you need a 3 pole norm open, so when contactor operates it switches L N E. make sure ballast is protected by a suitable fuse

Thanks for your quick and prompt replies. I can get ahold of a 20amp 2 pole today? Will that do

surely not ?

hi jurassic

no, you need a 3 pole contactor.

make sure it has a 240v coil, and 3 normally open contacts.

hi jurassic

no, you need a 3 pole contactor.

make sure it has a 240v coil, and 3 normally open contacts.

Crap! I can only get a 2 pole today

surely not ?

hi compostverte, you want your ballast to be earthed dont you?

hi sexisarh

no that has only 2 normally open contacts, you need 3.

Thanks mate,

You couldn't point me in the right direction please for a contactor for a 600w light.

hi sarha

Item number: 150587427146, make sure the ballast is protected by a suitable fuse.

Will this contactor be no good for me then? Can I put 2 together? i.e. 2 on each contactor or twin them up

(reposted this time with image attached)

post-54829-0-00414900-1302864796_thumb.jpg

Edited by jurassic

Will this contactor be no good for me then? Can I put 2 together? i.e. 2 on each contactor or twin them up

hi jurassic

not good practice, Telemecanique are the best contactors, you need a 3 pole n/o.

(im not saying you cant but not good practice, what happens if one contactor fails and that contactor was switching the earth, your left with no earth)

Edited by jonisonzx10r

hi jurassic

not good practice, Telemecanique are the best contactors, you need a 3 pole n/o.

Im not just doing this to annoy you but what about a 4 pole? then I can have one spare pole