Trichoderma Harzianum & Vesicular Arbuscular Mycorrhizas

Felix Dzerzhinsky

Just spent a couple hours skim reading this thread, what an interesting read! Thanks to all that contributed!

I've found what seems to be a pretty cheap option for some Trichoderma harzanium T-22, brand called Dragonfli. £20 for 260g. It is just Trichoderma harzanium T-22 and no other trich or myc etc but after reading up I think this is what I'd want to use for substrate and foliar applications during veg to help the plant defend itself against the dreaded botrytis later in the season. Am I right here, or have I gotten confused.

It is sold as granules for soil application, but, interestingly it says it is not for use outdoors; only indoor and in greenhouses. Anyone know what's up with that?

I'd be interested to try it on a plant or two at my guerilla plot this year, if there's good reason to believe it may be effective in the fight against botrytis! What say you?!

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

HFM

On 4/2/2020 at 8:31 PM, HullFeltMashematician said:

Just spent a couple hours skim reading this thread, what an interesting read! Thanks to all that contributed!

I've found what seems to be a pretty cheap option for some Trichoderma harzanium T-22, brand called Dragonfli. £20 for 260g. It is just Trichoderma harzanium T-22 and no other trich or myc etc but after reading up I think this is what I'd want to use for substrate and foliar applications during veg to help the plant defend itself against the dreaded botrytis later in the season. Am I right here, or have I gotten confused.

It is sold as granules for soil application, but, interestingly it says it is not for use outdoors; only indoor and in greenhouses. Anyone know what's up with that?

I'd be interested to try it on a plant or two at my guerilla plot this year, if there's good reason to believe it may be effective in the fight against botrytis! What say you?!

Any advice appreciated, thanks!

HFM

Don't bother spraying it on leaves, Trichoderma Harzianum is primarily a rhizosphere organism and needs to be in a symbiotic relationship with roots.

• Like 3

Thanks guys, life is pretty good over here and so far we seem to have escaped the worst Carona-chan is inflicting on everyone else. Plus people aren't setting fire to 5G towers yet, so that's a bonus. 

• Like 6

• 4 months later...

radio 4 now - programme about fungi 

A much underrated and unnoticed part of the natural world are fungi, according to the biologist Merlin Sheldrake. In Entangled Life he celebrates the ingenuity, extravagance and strangeness of fungal networks. Neither plant nor animal, fungi are found throughout the earth, in the air and in our bodies. They can live on a speck of dust or spread over miles of underground mazes. While fungi gives us bread and life-saving medicines, they have also transformed our understanding of the way plants communicate with each other via the ‘Wood Wide Web’.

Edited by jaydizzle
  • Like 4

recently composted the whole garden with a layer of very white woodchippings,  loads of mycellium all over the woodchips and mushrooms sprouting from the top of the pile,  hot inside the pile too,  looked to be teaming with fungus

that should inoculate a lot of the garden with the white undersoil roots and should benefit all things growing in the space 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jaydizzle said:

radio 4 now - programme about fungi 

A much underrated and unnoticed part of the natural world are fungi, according to the biologist Merlin Sheldrake. In Entangled Life he celebrates the ingenuity, extravagance and strangeness of fungal networks. Neither plant nor animal, fungi are found throughout the earth, in the air and in our bodies. They can live on a speck of dust or spread over miles of underground mazes. While fungi gives us bread and life-saving medicines, they have also transformed our understanding of the way plants communicate with each other via the ‘Wood Wide Web’.

Cheers mate I will give that a listen on catchup later

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000m569

• Like 4

slightly :offtopic: 

Carbon Ladder
382 subscribers

SUBSCRIBE
These sounds were produced by living fungi, Shitake mushrooms still attached to their mycelial bodies. A mushroom is actually the fruiting body of a fungus, the ‘body’ of which consists of the mycelium, a network of rootlike structures that run through substrate (the log, compost, sawdust etc.). A mushroom still connected to a growing mycelium produces a varied and interesting rhythm, while a mushroom that has been picked produced only a static tone. All living organisms produce a faint electrical current, which constantly fluctuates according to the state of the organism. This current can be amplified and used as a control signal for an oscillator, producing a sound which directly reflects the state of the organism. For my installation "Ha, Ha! Your Mushrooms Have Gone?", fungi actively growing on their original substrate were housed in glass tanks, to preserve optimal humidity. Visitors to the installation were able to hear the sounds of different living fungal cultures, which changed as new specimens were brought in during the course of the work. The bioelectrical sounds from the fungi are switched on and off by infra-red sensors, in response to the movements of people in the room, allowing visitors to interact with the work. Perhaps the fungi also respond to the sonic vibrations in the room. - Michael Prime

SHOW LESS
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, jaydizzle said:

that should inoculate a lot of the garden with the white undersoil roots and should benefit all things growing in the space 

It will benefit as the saprophitic fungi that you see break it down into food. Just to clarify seeing as this is a thread about mycos, that what your doing won't benefit mycorhizal fungi per se and that isn't spreading mycorhizal fungi around.

Fingers crossed you've not just spread woodchip full of honeyfungus all over the garden! That would be a nightmare. I'm sure you will be fine though. 

• Like 1

damn just read a little about honey fungus, wasn't expecting that !   the fungi themselves don't look like the pictures of honey fungus ... fingers crossed like you say !

hadn't really thought that fungi could be detrimental,  but then listening to that programme, seems like fungus can decay / attack pretty much anything so why not your perrenial plants, your trainers / wellyboots,  even your garden tools ! 

man you think you are doing great things only to find you might just have killed everything in the garden rather than benefiting it,  who knew gardening could be so difficult !  well apart from millenia of farmers and cultivators 

would the mycellium of non mychorrazial fungus have a similar effect of transfering nutes, retaining soil moisture and breaking down the elements of the soil ?  or is it just speciafically mychorrhizal that does that,  according to that programme i'm sure they said all types of fungus have the wood wide web effect going on ?  

or why is mychor so special ? .... ah found a good basic bit of info here 

The mechanisms used by endophytic and mycorrhizal fungi seem to be quite different .

Endophytes live inside and throughout the host plant . These endophytes , very often produce chemicals that confer some other stress resistance, so that the host can benefit. Endophytes of grasses give their host more resistance to grazers and get food and shelter from the plant in return .

Mycorrhizae on the other hand , is much more specific in that it implies some connection between fungi in the soil and the root of the plant (this makes sense given the greek language basis of myco (fungal) rhizae (root). Different types of mycorrhizae can be distinguished according to the plant and fungal partners and structural characteristics. Important distinctions are whether the hyphae colonizing the plant grow intracellularly (endomycorrhizae) or only intercellularly in the plant tissue (ectomycorrhizae) or both (ectendomycorrhizae).

Edited by jaydizzle

where does one find mychor occurring in nature ?  and would it be possible to tell just by looking if it was mychor or just a random fungus,  does it thrive in certain environnments/ conditions ,  i know you can buy it in packs but being cheap i fancy having a heath and robinson effort at trying to introduce it to my garden

or does it just occur pretty much everywhere ?  and just needs encouragement and conditions to really develop, like no till and no upsetting their subterranean network 

@jaydizzle might I suggest having a look through this thread. 

Mycorhizal fungi occur everywhere really. You couldn't put  a plant in the ground and reasonably not expect some sort of myco to already be present. 

I cultivate my own mycos from time to time harnessing and propagating beneficial mycos native to the land the plants will grow in. 

Interesting stuff once you slip down the rabbit hole 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

@jaydizzle might I suggest having a look through this thread. 

Mycorhizal fungi occur everywhere really. You couldn't put  a plant in the ground and reasonably not expect some sort of myco to already be present. 

I cultivate my own mycos from time to time harnessing and propagating beneficial mycos native to the land the plants will grow in. 

Interesting stuff once you slip down the rabbit hole 

How mate ?  laymans terms if you can  

• Like 1