Cannabutter

Keye

Thanks for the fast response buddy B)

OK, last night I used the remaining bubble trim from one bubble run I did a few weeks back (I could still see loads of lovely stuff that will diffuse into the oil) I weighed the trim (frozen so about 4 times the weight I guess?) & it weighed in at 230g! I also added 2g of quality keif from my grinder. :wink:

I followed your excellent process & after a night in the fridge I have some 'Incredible Hulk' coloured butter! :yep:Major GREEN!

The butter sits on the water & looks smooth on top after separation, however I noticed both times I have done it that when lifting it off the water I end up picking up loads of greasy bits of butter that do not look too attractive but feeling compelled to make use of it all. I started with 130g butter & ended up with 97g canna butter.

I put it in a little sqaure container & pressed it all out with a spoon & got quite a bit of surplus water to come to the surface to drain off. I didn't do this last time so I guess too much water in the butter might mould up if covered completely. So this time I will leave the lid off of the container to allow the water to evaporate as it sweats out.

Not sure if I will be able to see the mould if it happens again as it is so green in colour, but I have a feeling these cookies might be knockout material which will be ideal to give me a good nights sleep.

I will report back after I have made the cookies tonight :unsure:

• Like 1

Green butter heaven! I really can believe it's not just butter :headpain:

I didn't report back last night becuase I made a cuppa, ate a cookie & half hour later I was pleasantly stoned. It was an hour before bedtime & I did not realize the cookie had only just started working so I ate another, had some fun with my wife & afterwards I layed down thinking how mashed I was, then went into a deep sleep, I woke feeling like my back had actually rested! I was not stiff & wriggling in discomfort, I think I felt what normal feels like.

Admittedly I did take my Tramadol for my back pain, but normally I still suffer quite bad pain in bed & am very stiff in the morning. This morning though I felt great! However I did not want the normal morning spliff as I'm pretty sure I was still buzzing from the 2 cookies I had!

I am sitting here tonight, really feeling nice & stoned on one cookie.

The rest of my butter is in the freezer, still got 5 more cookies from this batch & 2 more batches of cookies to come. Or I might try another recipie if I feel adventurous.

:stoned:

• Like 1

Brilliant! Sounds like you had a good time!!!!

It does take a while to get used to the dosing and the 'curve' of the stone - it doesn't come on like a joint does!

But great - do it some more and experiement with it!!

Keye

• 5 months later...

Thank you for your time and effort in producing this super thread Keye ill be a busy man once i have a grow finished nice one thanks. :rofl:

I woke feeling like my back had actually rested! I was not stiff & wriggling in discomfort, I think I felt what normal feels like.

Admittedly I did take my Tramadol for my back pain, but normally I still suffer quite bad pain in bed & am very stiff in the morning. This morning though I felt great! However I did not want the normal morning spliff as I'm pretty sure I was still buzzing from the 2 cookies I had!

Hi now how you feel AKPOG same thing happens to me pain as you go to sleep no better in morning lol and i am on zamadol which is the same as Tramadol i think. I need to do some of this butter thing. what to cook mmmmmm mam. lol

Edited by mam
  • Like 1

hey keye, i can tell you why you got that texture with the chocolate...Next time don't pour ANY of the water in. my experience making desserts at work, and advice from a genius swiss chef i once worked with, a few drops of water can ruin 2kg of good coveture (melted choc over a bowl of simmering water). next time drink the water. :rofl:

Try using the melted choc method instead of water/bud/butter in 1 pan. i.e, put butter/herb in a large bowl over simmerig water.

I've experimented with this loads, making afgan biccies-great for breakfast. you can leave the butter/bud simmering for 30-40 mins, and there's no need to separate. it cannot burn, as long as there is enough water to steam. i cover the bowl with cling film, and dont even strain the ground herb. perfect for a long drive, very mellow, very discreet. boiling is a big nono, and this bain-marie (water bath) method get the temps spot on to release the thc.

just my 2 cents. thanks for the info lollol

Sticky, could you strain the bud particles out if you want?

• Like 1

Stickybud73 - Not putting any water in is obviously the ideal. I know it ruins chocolate, it's taken away all the snap. Unfortunatly, it's pretty hard not to. Once the butter is set in the fridge, as soon as you remove it condensation hits it and you've got water. Also, even if you remove the butter 'puck' from the top of the water and dab it down with a paper towel, there can still be bits of water. As you say, a tiny bit can ruin a lot.

Making chocolate is a whole other ball game, i didn't do any temperature curing or anything like that.

Cannabalis - The idea is to strain out the bud particles during the pressing stage in the cafetiere. I prefer seperating it as i think it's more 'to the point'.

If you're not going to seperate out the herb, i feel it is just as good to grind up the weed and put it straight into a mixture with an oil already in it, like cake. It works great; i don't like the overpowering taste of plant matter though, which is why i prefer to extract out. I don't see the point in heating it into the oil if you're leaving the plant matter in it - that bit would be done 'in cake'. If that makes sense......

Mam - I'm just glad people are still getting something out of this. I enjoyed making it and i'll be cleaning the moulds for the BBQ season.

that looks so good i dont think i could hold myself bk, 1crumpet and 125g of ur butter :rofl:. ill be making some for sure very soon!

• Like 1

Hi Keye definitely going to get a lot out of this and please let us all know what you going to do for the BBQ season will be interesting no doubt mam. :D

Mam - I'm just glad people are still getting something out of this. I enjoyed making it and i'll be cleaning the moulds for the BBQ season.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To make sure i got this right, you just melted for example a hersheys bar and poured butter in? or did you make chocolate from scratch and make it with your butter? ;)

maybe im a bit stoned to be tryin to cook :stoned:

• Like 1

Heh heh!

So i made the cannabutter, melted some regular chocolate, high high high cocoa content and added my green butter in.

Let it set.

Eat.

Done.

• 3 months later...
post-17190-1172158545_thumb.jpg

After pouring that lot into the bowl that it will set in - i used a funnel lined with a Jiffy Cloth and coffee filter to squeeze out the extra butter.

After tipping it in, i wrapped it into a ball and squeezed. Be careful, it is hot. A lot came out and i pushed against the plastic funnel to make sure i had all the butter out. This left the plant matter quite dry - i binned it. I could have boiled it again and gone for the last little bit. But right now, this is the first time i've done it so it's just a bit of a test.

post-17190-1172158672_thumb.jpg

So this lot has gone into the fridge to set - tomorrow i will pour off the water, hopefully, from the top!

That's it. :spliff: I suppose i can use it for just about anything.

Keye!

:wink:

very good idea good thinking thnx

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Keye, :yinyang: for posting up.

To have no water in your chocolate and have a product which will keep for years, you should try working it like this:

When you have your butter out of the fridge after setting above the water (it's now mainly butter fat, so of course it floats ;)) wash it off really well with cold water, esp. the thin slimy layer at the bottom -- that's still some water soluble milk solids from the butter which haven't evaporated off and you don't want them in your choc, watery and reduces shelf-life of course. Then dab off your wet butter and heat it up slowly in a high-sided pan until it seems to be boiling. In fact you'll see that it's the water left in the butter fat forcing its way to the top and evaporating off. Makes a racket and spits, hence high-sided :( When it stops and is completely silent, let it cool. Bobs yer uncle: not cannabutter, but pure cannabutter fat. If you don't want to mix it up into choc yet, fill hot into a hot dry hardened glass jar, through a filter if poss., fine metal tea strainer should do. Better if a rubber seal on the lid :( then seal it and turn it on its head for 5 mins. then right way up again to cool. Will keep fresh like that for a good couple of years in the fridge, and doesn't even ruin quickly when it's opened, though better to use it within a couple of months then.

Would think your chocolate would keep well for over a year like that too. Like the choki moulds :(

:unsure: !TILT! :rofl:

• Like 2

Hi Keye, :ouch: for posting up.

Glad you liked it!

that's still some water soluble milk solids from the butter which haven't evaporated off

Ahhh! Cool, thanks.

If you don't want to mix it up into choc yet, fill hot into a hot dry hardened glass jar, through a filter if poss., fine metal tea strainer should do. Better if a rubber seal on the lid :) then seal it and turn it on its head for 5 mins. then right way up again to cool. Will keep fresh like that for a good couple of years in the fridge, and doesn't even ruin quickly when it's opened, though better to use it within a couple of months then.

Great tip, again, thanks!

Nice to see people getting something from this still and continuing to contribute.

Keye

thought i would ask my questions on this thread seeing as it is already a good source of information :D:yinyang:

My question is how much butter do you add per chocolate??? I don't want to end up with some buttery mess that doesnt even resemble chocolate and won't set proper.

so I have made my first canna butter using lots of old vaped material and dry trim so I am not expecting it to be mega strong. For some reason I am too scared to try it with the water and seperating the butter afterwards i just have visions of messing it up completely. I did it by melting the butter in a bowl over a pan and letting the material soak in the butter for a few hours I then strained the material out using sivs and then some old tights. I assume this method is not as good because i could of lost a lot of butter still in the material? It looks fairly green though considerin it was only vaped stuff and not the best trim.

I am tempted to flop it all in coz I dont think it is gonna be mega strong but I want it to set like chocolate and by my own admission I am no cook.

thanks for the thread :wink:

• Like 1