Light Keeps Killing Timers

Paul Batchelor

5 minutes ago, Jammo85 said:

@zen-ken 

something like this?? 

Thats the badger.....I got the 4 way version as the lumi' HD ones are fuckin lousy at keeping time and they kept going off at different times.......now all three lights come on and go off together :yep:

personal preference but I wouldnt touch lumi now with a shitty stick :yep:

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 1

@Jammo85 tbf all the major players have a version....they are a copy of the original american brand who's name escapes me....you can just get the contractor if you already have the timers

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 1

@Jammo85

Powerstar contractor and socket will do the same job minus the grasslin timer......Im a tart for my toys......hence the most expensive version :unsure: well built but expensive bit of kit the greenpower :yep:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

@Jammo85 tbf all the major players have a version....they are a copy of the original american brand who's name escapes me....you can just get the contractor if you already have the timers

I don’t know what a contactor is to be honest lol. It would suit me to have them all running off this one timer anyway as I’m not very good at getting multiple timers to line up lol. 

2 minutes ago, Jammo85 said:

I don’t know what a contactor is to be honest lol. It would suit me to have them all running off this one timer anyway as I’m not very good at getting multiple timers to line up lol. 

I was going to launch into an essay on the difference between relays and contactors.....but I would bore you to tears with it :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Basically it allows the timer to be seperate from the load of your lights so it doesnt burn out the timer when the ballast suddenly asks for lots of amps :yep:

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

I was going to launch into an essay on the difference between relays and contactors.....but I would bore you to tears with it :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Basically it allows the timer to be seperate from the load of your lights so it doesnt burn out the timer when the ballast suddenly asks for lots of amps :yep:

Thank you mate for explaining, that’s actually made some sense to my little daft head lol. Legend appreciate your time and knowledge mate 

• Like 1

Do you run everything through these contractors or just the lights?

as I’ve a 4 fans running.

but I’ve tube heaters and a oil rad (not being used yet but soon they will be winters coming) 

got two dehumidifiers i use in there ones a 200w and the others a 300w one. 

A cfl 200w light in next room 

i have got the shed all all wired into its own fuse box with a 32amp fuse for all the plugs 

I’m sure there’s about 13 plugs being used now without the heating ones being used. 

Ohhh the outside shed wall light, and outside security light also being powered from those plugs inside shed 

I need a good tidy up I know 

something like this would help me loads tidy up the electrics......

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F223604040786

could have all the lights and two fans on this then be able to have the rest of the rooms plugs  much tidier 

@zen-ken (sorry for calling you back)

@Jammo85 A contactor is just like a relay. The timer plug doesn't take much load. Anything with a chunk of electric going through it, I'd say 600w and above personally. But always check any timer current values, as this will be the main driver.

Personally, I prefer to just use a heavy-duty timer.

I run 2000w of lighting through this, without any problems.

2 hours ago, Jammo85 said:

I don’t know what a contactor is to be honest

Its an electrically operated switch, instead of pressing a button like your light switch in your frontroom you apply a voltage (through a timer) and it switches on a heavy set of contacts, a small current (through your timer) controls a much larger current, like a pilot valve can use low pressure to control much higher pressure

Instead of putting the full load through the timer you now only need to supply a coil which might be a few hundred miliamps

:yinyang:

Edited by Davey Jones
  • Like 2

My chemo brain is returning......Canatronics made the original ones

You can run anything through them but it is all under the one timer.....I wouldnt want anything but the lights controlled tbh

Fans should be on a speed controller (Im gonna go for a temp controlled one next)

Heaters on an inkbird (IMO)

Dehumidifiers on a humidistat

Just watch the amps !!!

• Like 1