Light Keeps Killing Timers

Paul Batchelor

to much current being drawn through the timer's contacts, simple solution is a higher rated relay from some where like maplin or RS, it's pretty straight forward to wire one up too.

if i was running a 600w on a run of the mill timer i'd deff shove a 10A relay in there for safety sake.

i may post a small guide if anybody is interested and shall save u a few pennies :)

you might want to save yourself the effort, as most timers come with 13A+ relays in the anyway :ouch:

the amp rating has next to nothing to do with the rating of the relay when it comes to switching capacitive/inductive loads

DONT SKIMP out on the pennies when it comes to electrics.

My last grow - 1x 600w hps, i wasnt using a contactor and I blew x2 Plug and Grow timers rated at 13a each.

My current grow, i have a contactor that cost me £22 - i have been running x2 600w hps througth the contactor and my timer and mains socket, everything has been fine, nothing has tripped and my timers havn't blown (im still using a plug and grow) - my contactor was rated upto 2kw - 30amps, so i have taken the doulbe socket and replaced with a 4 way socket. im now running 2x 600w hps and 1x 400w hps off my contactor and timer :)

Not had a problem yet.

GO BUY A CONTACTOR - theyre as cheap as £20 onwards.

You will find, most two outlet socket contactors will have the same internals as the 4 way ones *i.e 30a relay* so you can take the double socket off and stick your own 4 way one.

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Been through this thread and I am worried too. Starting a grow this weekend, my first.

I know almost nothing of electricity, is there a tutorial on how to wire a contactor?

In my grow room, I only have 1 main... will that be a problem?

Hi all,

Been through this thread and I am worried too. Starting a grow this weekend, my first.

I know almost nothing of electricity, is there a tutorial on how to wire a contactor?

In my grow room, I only have 1 main... will that be a problem?

Hello gur

If your running hps lights you need a contactor relay.

I have one built by enviro light that's been used for many years with no issue.it's a timer with built in comtactor.only about £15. It's really not worth the risk building your own if your not confident.

My whole grow runs off 1 extension from a plug in the kitchen up into the loft.

Been fine for a long time.

Regards

Thanks stu!

I've been looking around, and I can't find such timer with built in contactor.

I found one on ebay which says its the replacement for Envirolight as it is discontinued. It also says it does not have a contactor but is safe for grow light, up to 2x 600w.

The only problem is I use the typical euro plug, not the UK type

Could someone help out finding something suitable?

Edited by Abe Froman
to remove ebay item number

Ok, I think I have good (and bad) news for myself... lol ... at least I hope.

I went over to a big hardware store that sell everything! Headed over to the electrical department and called for help.

Came up with a storyline about my needs for a contactor and timer, and the guy went over and chose the parts for me.

I said I couldn't assemble it myself, and he jumped in saying he'd gladly do it for me.

So a complete kit including;

AC Mains male plug -> electric cable -> switchgear switch (2,45€) -> switchgear contactor (22,95€) -> digital switchgear timer (37,95) -> switchgear box (3,75) -> electric cable -> AC Main Female plug

adds up to -> 67,1 € + cable and plugs

This part is the bad news. I am seriously exceeding my budget to get started.

I looked at my ballast and realized it has a fuse! This isn't standard right? At the grow shop the guy didn't have any others so he gave me a big discount saying this one was very superior. So if I have a fuse, even if I do eventually blow a timer, I'm safe for a fire hazard right? I was thinking of trying to get away with a simple timer for now and in the future invest in the contactor setup.

What do you guys think?

post-73073-0-44990000-1337454537_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gurruwiwi

• 4 months later...

As u are only using a 250 watt light I carnt c why u should have problems with any old timer but as u are visit your local grow shop they will have a cheap alternative which will be ok around 15pound.

the wattage of the lamp isn't really the problem, even a 250W lamp has a good sized capacitor in it, and that's wqhat welds your contacts closed..

groffuwiwi; you dont need a 37e timer! just get a plug in timer, cheap as chips, should be able to get one for 5e

• 4 months later...

A 70 watt timer will be ok on some high quality plug in timers, it may destroy some cheaper timers... BUT such low wattage lamps don't bother with a capacitor. If you open up the ballast snd it has no capacitor inside (looks like a cylinder with two wires comibg out of it, then it will be fine on most/nearly all timers

My last grow - 1x 600w hps, i wasnt using a contactor and I blew x2 Plug and Grow timers rated at 13a each.

My current grow, i have a contactor that cost me £22 - i have been running x2 600w hps througth the contactor and my timer and mains socket, everything has been fine, nothing has tripped and my timers havn't blown (im still using a plug and grow) - my contactor was rated upto 2kw - 30amps, so i have taken the doulbe socket and replaced with a 4 way socket. im now running 2x 600w hps and 1x 400w hps off my contactor and timer :)

Not had a problem yet.

GO BUY A CONTACTOR - theyre as cheap as £20 onwards.

You will find, most two outlet socket contactors will have the same internals as the 4 way ones *i.e 30a relay* so you can take the double socket off and stick your own 4 way one.

Is that one of those you get of the bay (plug n grow) between £10-15 timer and contactor built in? I was thinking of getting one, thinking again now. Do you know of that happening to any one else? What make of ballast do you have?

Edited by herbertherb

Guest Where Angels Play

Thems the ones and they are a brilliant bit of kit for the price mate,they are rated for 600w and have never heard any complaints before.

Mine is feeding a 400w luma but I know other members use them with a 600w no problem.

Suprised to hear this. Never heard of them being an issue, like Where Angels Play said. Got one and plan to use it for my first grow but have been meaning to get a proper contractor before everything's running.. Probably no need