Light Keeps Killing Timers

Paul Batchelor

I think many growers have gone through the initial stage of thinking its OK to not use a contactor. Given the fact its a safety issue, why take a chance?

Its not as if contactors are that expensive and its worth it just to have peace of mind. I have had mine for a long time, don't even think the company is still around, but the contactor sure is.

9 minutes ago, MyDisplayName2000 said:

Given the fact its a safety issue, why take a chance?

Its not a safety issue, its an inconvenience issue. A timer with welded contacts should not pose any safety risk at all

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

It really is a safety issue they don't always weld shut they often start to oxidise and then thermal runaway occurs. 

Then your house catches fire!

It's the inductive load that's the issue. 

Just think about it we don't sell contactors, why would we make this stuff up? 

A decent cheap timer suitable for upto 2 600w hps lights as it has a small contactor built in, is the black orchid available from £10 on ebay. Cheap and safe. 

Edited by Thedoctor6999
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Can anyone recommend a light friendly RCD? What contactors do you guys use

By the way, I currently use 1000w on my heavy duty timer I bought online from ProGrow, it's rated 3150w and it's lasted years.

Edited by mrevolve
  • Like 1

if you dont want to get a contactor, get a heavy duty timer for a £10, theyre rated for using upto a 600w hps (I know your planning to uuse a led) & are more reliable than grasslin or digital timers.

• Like 2

LED's don't start up as heavily as HID lights but Still go for a heavy duty one anyway though. Those kind of ones should not be used for inductive loads like grow lights especially HID ones.

Edited by Conspiranought

Okey Doke, any advice on what brand to look out for please? Will they be listed has heavy duty timers?

I have purchased this one, hope this will be safe with a LED 450W?  Thanks guys.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Powerplant-Heavy-Duty-Timer/dp/B00I8LMTPW/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=black+orchid+heavy+duty+timer&qid=1562431331&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Edited by Johna60
now bought one
  • Like 1

yes theyre called heavy duty timers, maxibright have just brought out their own version & is black, the other heavy duty timers are a whitish cream colour & are the same thing.

one thing though, theyre a bit wide & if your socket doesn't have a on switch, the timer will block the next socket.

• Like 1

When are they going to start selling them digital heavy duty timers much better than the mechanical ones.

• 2 months later...
On 01/03/2018 at 6:51 PM, MyDisplayName2000 said:

I think many growers have gone through the initial stage of thinking its OK to not use a contactor. Given the fact its a safety issue, why take a chance?

Its not as if contactors are that expensive and its worth it just to have peace of mind. I have had mine for a long time, don't even think the company is still around, but the contactor sure is.

Sorry boss I don’t even know what one is? 

Im burning through these timer plugs and this has led me here, it’s  not that I’ve tried to save money it’s just I didn’t know I needed one and don’t know what one is, too buy? 

Im using 600w hps lights 

( I have 4 in the shed being used, running at 400w each at mo due to heat struggles but that even burnt one out last night, each light has its own timer, some are those lumni ones that are sold by the people who make the lights but some are from b&q) 

Edited by Jammo85
  • Like 1

On 01/03/2018 at 7:05 PM, Davey Jones said:

Its not a safety issue, its an inconvenience issue. A timer with welded contacts should not pose any safety risk at all

My light was still on when i went down shed 8 hours after it should of knocked off, is this what happened to it? Thrown timer plug in bin

• Like 1

On 25/02/2014 at 7:01 AM, Peregrine said:

This should do the job...

• Designed to take high loads;
  • Normal household timers are not built to take the high inductive loads produced by HID ballasts. If used with an HID ballast, the contacts inside the timer that open and close the timed circuit will overheat and weld together, breaking the timer and leaving your grow lights permanently on;
  • The LUMii Heavy Duty 24 Hour Plug In Timer is different - as the name suggests it is designed to take high loads and has no problem dealing with the inductive loads produced by a 600 watt ballast. This means no separate contactor is required, saving you money;
  • There are 96 switching operations within a 24 hour period (every 15 minutes); Heavy duty contacts mean it can take high inductive loads. It is suitable for timing 1 x 600w HID ballast or up to 6 x 200w CFLs. It is very reliable and has a high quality timer unit with a robust 'inline' case design with socket and timer dust covers.

I’m sure these are what I’ve burnt through, a few of them over the last 8 months now 

13 minutes ago, Jammo85 said:

My light was still on when i went down shed 8 hours after it should of knocked off, is this what happened to it? Thrown timer plug in bin

The contacts welded together meaning the timer wouldnt move due to the load

I gave in and got a greenpower contactor board in the end :hippy:

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 2