Hints,tips,tactics

Owderb

Yep, 1st time I tried chinning a pike, it thrashed about, my grip relaxed a bit, and I got the teeth across 3 knuckles. Stung like a bastard and bled for about 5 hours, despite me trying to patch up with rizlas. I always have a strip of sticky plasters in my lure bag now.

Yep, 1st time I tried chinning a pike, it thrashed about, my grip relaxed a bit, and I got the teeth across 3 knuckles. Stung like a bastard and bled for about 5 hours, despite me trying to patch up with rizlas. I always have a strip of sticky plasters in my lure bag now.

best to just net them mate regardless of size

best way to sort old toothy out is roll him on his back between ya knees then get him under the chin then pull him up by the head this opens the mouth then in with the forceps

yep there sharp teeth alright you also need to be aware of the inside of the gills these are as sharp as the teeth trust me i found out the hard way :) ouch and plenty of blood

owd

Can i just nail one thing down..This practice is illegal!

yep your right there matey !!!

but go into any carp mag and you will see rigs using lead wire around hooklinks etc tut! tut! tut !they probably dont even realise its illegal :smoke: i thought it was only actual ledgers that were made from lead now wasnt this something to do with swans eating shot and dying that started all this ?????

(but we will turn a blind eye to shot from shotgun cartridges )

peppi

Edited by Peppi

Guest hotdogz

tip for catching big cats.... when i fish frace 4 cats we use live eels and tench. works the best ells 2 ft long tench 1lb too 2lb . so i made myself a pond last summer not big 4ft round 3 ft deep .then went eel fishing 1 nite i have 30 ells from 10 oz too 6lb i put all the small eels in too a sake and took them hope too puth in pond .( note :yinyang: u need netting over pond or the ells will get out ) then week after i bought 20 8oz tench from a stock pool out of a mag .cost me about £78 . so this summer ive live tench and live eels for my uk cat fishing wkends.when i travel with live bait i keep them in a bin in back of van with a air pump running of van. ........ LATEST NEWS last nite had my mates van broken in to all my pikeing tackle was in the back was planing on going for 2 days 2day.3 rods 3 reals 3 alarms new bait boat my camo jacket n bottoms, tackle nets ,unhooking mat fish finder ,loads more around 4k im gutted. but just found out (THANK GOD THANK MOM :unsure: ) IM COVERED ON THE HOUSE INSURERACE for 7k so looks like i mite get more hehe

works the best ells 2 ft long

;)

Are you aware that that eel will be about 50 years old?

I hate it when people kill eels, just because it snotted up their line. They are one of the most remarkable fish about.

The eel population is declining rapidly, partly due to trapping, and partly because un-educated fishermen see them as just "Horrible nasty slimey twisty things".

Be nice to them :guitar:

Plus its nearly all lead on the feeders still :guitar:

Owd ;)

Went into a large local(ish) tackle shop yesterday and could'nt find a single piece of lead in the place, all the weights/feeders etc were all made from non-lead material.

The only time I have seen lead recently is at the sea fishing shops....

RAZ

Most of mine are lead mate and as far as I knew I thought that the weight on feeders now was lead.If not I stand correcting :ouch:

And my mate owns a tackle shop aswell.Shows how many feeders i buy now ;):guitar:

Owd :puke:

Right I read what i wrote and what i meant on the lead shot rules is that if you have No8 shots and smaller in lead you can still use them not the other way round.Its the bigger shots in lead you are not allowed :headpain:

Buuuuut you cant buy em in lead now so everyone just uses lead free ;)

Plus weights also over 1oz you can use lead still ;)

And all my drennan feeders new and old are lead and so are 80% of my others.Drennan themselves confirm that 80% of there own feeders are lead ;)

Owd :yinyang:

Some of those non-toxic shot are really quite hard & can pinch the line leaving it weak.

Bish's top tip - use thin float rubber over the line, & then attach the shot if bulking :headpain:

Some of those non-toxic shot are really quite hard & can pinch the line leaving it weak.

Bish's top tip - use thin float rubber over the line, & then attach the shot if bulking ;)

Good tip Bish :yinyang: I have had that problem and lost fish a few times due to crappy shot pinching the line..

Cheers

Pickle :headpain:

Another tip on that Bish is to look at getting some "Preston Innovations slip shot :yinyang:

Its plastic coated with ptfe material and slips lovely on the line ;)

Owd :headpain:

stale bread for floating, spread with marmite..

cat fod both tinned and dried, slighty soaked to get hook in and as it floats away gives off little nibbles.

aniseed flavoured hemp seed

all tried and tested

last night a 42lb carp pulled locally on bread flake ...sorry no pics owd, but have furnished son with camera for pics for you and this thread.

They were just minutes from the place this carp got pulled , and they caught nowt all night.

Plus weights also over 1oz you can use lead still wink.gif

yep thats the one all my leads for carp fishing are lead these are plastic coated (korda)leads to be honest i dont think it was leads that were causing damage to swans i think it was shot from guns and petrol from boat engines in the water to be honest i cant see how plastic coating them makes any diffrence myself the inner bore of a inline lead isnt plastic coated it cant be other wise you wouldnt be able to get your line down the hole through the lead

raz that method feeder you have

if you get a standard lead and rough it up a bit with a file or something similar then smooth off any sharp edges it makes a great method feeder

and scalded trouties make a brilliant method mix give it a blast this summer matey im sure you will be impressed we tried it on a water that hadnt seen it before and the action was bersek two runs at once etc i had a session were i had 29 fish in 24 hours all good doubles to the only problem been the kettle was on nearly all the time we couldnt make it fast enough

a quick edit for all

if your after pellets check out gb pellets in middlewhich cheshire they do mail order and you wont find them cheaper anywhere in the uk

peppi lol

Edited by Peppi

Another tip on that Bish is to look at getting some "Preston Innovations slip shot lol

Its plastic coated with ptfe material and slips lovely on the line ;)

Just trying to remember the name of those pole rig weights that you crimp on? - tiny long things which don't pinch the line. They do a good job especially when using fine line.