Hints,tips,tactics

Owderb

• 6 months later...

Ive never tried it myself because I'm not one of those commercial carp addicted anglers but I decided to set a couple of Jigga rigs to catch my usual quarry but which isn't the norm to be fair for silvers

I fished a rig 4ft total length with .17 as my mainline but with only a .10 hook length. A really nice soft elastic in my top 2 and I fished a banded 4mm hard pellet and fed 3 or 4 4mm pellets every 15-20 seconds. Its really important you have a really nice soft elastic. I use a 4-6 Middy Reactacore hollow. Its the best elastic Ive ever used and just as good in the bigger sizes. I caught Roach, Skimmers, Rudd, and Hybrids and finished with around 15-20lb in 4 hrs

Really enjoyed fishing the Jigga so if you haven't tried it give it a go. Its dead simple to set up and deadly when you get it right

Owd

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 15/06/2020 at 2:56 PM, Owderb said:

I use a 4-6 Middy Reactacore hollow. Its the best elastic Ive ever used and just as good in the bigger sizes

Although I still use it Ive had my mind changed by the brilliant new Preston Dura Slip Hybrid elastic and am slowly changing over to that. I cant explain it but it just works different/better than the others. Its really smooth and forgiving on the strike and then the run of the fish but seems to power up lovely when you get the fish back towards you.

Ive also started to use Spotted Fin ready prepared expanders. The one I use is The Catalyst and its got a really sweet powerful caramel brasamy smell. If you see them give them a go :)

Owd 

Not so much my fishing day, but a round up of recent sessions...:)

As we came out of lockdown I fished a local pond for Perch that I often fish from mid March onwards after the  rivers close.

It begins to switch on as the water warms, it's been cold this year so I found it hard going, but managed to catch a new PB of 2lb 12oz on red maggot, and a couple of other twos. I kept myself amused waiting for the big Perch by emptying the place of Roach on the whip...although I had my biggest Perch on said whip, and not the leger rod which was fun. lol

The past few weeks I've been on the Bristol channel, the upper reaches have been patchy to say the least, living inland it's hard to get in tune with what's going on, and we've struggled for the odd Thornback and little Codlings....

This time last week we ventured further down to the Minehead area and had a better day, countless Doggies but we got among the Smoothhounds on peeler crab around high tide,  I was made up with my first Smoothy and was running around the beach celebrating...and I had a nice small eyed ray of 8lb 5oz on Sandeel...bites all day and aching arms which was welcome. :)

Back off down that neck of the woods tomorrow after the hounds again. :yes:

• 11 months later...

Check out these brand new feeders. Brilliant innovative idea that looks to me to be the best feeder Ive ever seen

Owd

• Like 2