Hints,tips,tactics

Owderb

Wrong time of year I know, but if your into your big eels in the summer, I've found THE best bait. Kicks lobs and deads right out the door.

Whiskas Chunks lol

I tried it this year, 3 rods set out, 1 with half a 3 inch roach, 1 with a bunch of lobs, and 1 with Whiskas, all on size 2 long shank bait gripper hooks,10"of 16lb line, to a swivel, then a drilled bullet, and 20lb main line , except for the roach which had 20lb wire on iin case of the pike. (I don't play light, the canal is full of crap. )

Had 1 2lb (ish) eel on the lobs, a small jack on the roach, and 5 eels up to around 3.5lb on the whiskas.

Another eel tip, rather than squeezing them through the landing net when unhooking, or using a rag (VERY bad for the fish) , make a groove in the ground before you start fishing, about 2ft long, 1 inch deep, and when you catch, just lay the eel on it's back in the groove. It's almost like they go to sleep, and can be easily unhooked.

I have been told, tho, that if you leave them like this for more than a minute, it will kill them. Don't know if thats the truth, and I don't intend to find out.

Edited by Ali_Bongo
  • Like 1

:ninja: But.... I used to go Roach bashing a lot on hempseed and tares in my local fens and drains back in the day - I always did wonder.... has anyone tried home-made cannabis flavoured boilies or just hooking a hunk of weed and trying that :yinyang::wassnnme:

B ;)

'edit' - top tip with the worm Owd ;)

i think its more the texture of the hempseed that works rather than taste dude. as far as i know, hemp seed resembles small water snails or summat like that, being black and crunchy. then again, the oil given out when its boiled and soaked draws the fish in too so i aint exactly sure.

try dunking your pop-up in some pure hash oil and see what happens lol;)

Guest Blabblabberbab
try dunking your pop-up in some pure hash oil and see what happens

I'd be diving in after the bastard meself! ;):)

Heres my top tip :

Don't drive 20 feckin miles to the lake and then realise you've left yer bait at home :headpain:

lol:( When we went on the 420 meet, Nigfis and I went fishing to a remote spot. Walked for a mile or so then went down a huge mountainside, arriving at a wicked spot I released i'de left my tackle box in the car.

RAZ

another handy hint that could save you a lot of heartache

is to take a first aid kit in your tackle i learned the hard way i fell over on the edge of a peg my hands went into the lake straight onto a broken bottle i sat there all day with a towel ( i use this to dry my rigs and leads when using pva ) wrapped round my hand i should have had it stitched really but hey i was fishing so..........another time me and a mate met a fella one the bank who had sat on a baiting needle it was sticking out of his leg but hey he was fishing so......................

peppi :yinyang:

Edited by Peppi

Have to agree with you there Peppi. Last Season I cut my finger almost down to the bone on a tin lid, luckily I had plasters with me cos there is absolutely no way I could have fished on otherwise, me bivvy was almost full of blood as it was! :yinyang:

And a couple of hours later I had a 20, never leave home without at least some plasters now!

Have to agree with you there Peppi. Last Season I cut my finger almost down to the bone on a tin lid, luckily I had plasters with me cos there is absolutely no way I could have fished on otherwise, me bivvy was almost full of blood as it was! :headpain:

And a couple of hours later I had a 20, never leave home without at least some plasters now!

likewise matey ive got bandages the lot coz you never know you could end up in big trouble if your bleeding heavily out in the middle of no where

but hey you live and you learn lol

peppi :smoke:

Dog Days Summer, stillwater and Trout tip:

So you been flogging yourself all day and not had a touch. You can see the beggars, but can't touch them? This tip was learned the hard way and tested over several sessions at Dever Springs, a rather pricey and posh Trout haunt.

The Tip: Wait for some ripple and spot where it breaks shore. Then get opposite the point where the ripple breaks onto the shore. Tie up a huge Muddlered Daddy-Long-Legs, and with a dry line on the reel and a very strong leader (10lb) cast almost to the shore and start to strip the muddler back across the top like mad, as fast as you can. Watch for bow waves following and when seen, increase speed (do NOT decrease) and get yer feet well planted. BANG! Take like a lead cosh and a fight that is quite memorable. Bagged out with 8 fish in 8 chucks last time I tried it at Dever. The smallest was 7.5 :headpain:

Very interesting Arnold, you seem the fly fishing type anyway! :guitar:

Although I have to say I am a little dissapointed as when I started reading it I thought you were going to expose yourself as a trout tickler! :yinyang:

when your catching loads of mackeral off the rocks try putting one on a big hook ( nick him on the back) fished under a float about 6 foot .its ok the mackeral dont go into the rocks . and wait for the bass. if they are about dont strike too early he will hit it once to stun it. then he will turn and come back so its hold on tactics just leave the mackeral swim holding your thumb on spool while its out of gear .when he comes back leave him run then slowly start adding the pressure to the spool.ihave caught a lot of bass in my time .all the biggies on this method .best fish 11lb off shore

• Like 1