The Mulch Thread

dingo bingo

12 hours ago, murphyblue said:

Maybe the wrong place to ask but could someone recommend a "cover crop" seed preferably a mixture pack of different seeds.

You can try a clover/mustard seed mix. Get big packs for not a lot online. I'm sowing clover at my plots this year, hoping to cut down on weeding, and clover fixes nitrogen in the soil too. Rather than dig in, I will let mine go to seed, then maybe I won't need to sow so much next year...

I use straw as well, a little goes a long way. At one plot I have very sandy, gritty soil and straw helps retain a bit of moisture around the plants. All blows away after a couple of months mind you...

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions shared!

I've gone through them, done some research and decided to mulch my current GG beds with more manure compost with weed fabric on top (after a good downpour) to help warm the beds up and encourage faster microbial activity while still allowing water to permeate.

For my new beds on ground currently smothered with brambles I'm going on Charles Dowding's (what are the odds on him NOT having a toke? 😅)  advice and will be digging up the bramble crowns before covering the soil with plastic sheeting to kill off the remaining weeds. I'm tempted to wait until this year's crop is down in September/October and if all goes well I'll then add lots of compost/manure under the sheeting to break down over winter and spring. I reckon the sheeting could eventually be pulled up in March to add fertilisers ready for next year. How does that sound for a plan?

I also love the idea of sowing clover on the plot, will try and get some packs ordered ASAP ready for this year.

Edited by dingo bingo
  • Like 2

Has anyone tried sowing cover crops / green manure at their plot/s over winter?

• Like 1

I've done it on veg patches, so basically  the same. Works well, helps stop the weeds from taking over. Mulch is easier though. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, dingo bingo said:

Has anyone tried sowing cover crops / green manure at their plot/s over winter?

Yes. Worth it? I’m not sure. You have to do it while your plants are still in the ground so the cover crop gets enough growth before winter. When you dig it in in spring inevitably some survives and I do have patches colonising the plot now so keep that in mind. I didn’t bother this winter just mulched over everything. 

• Like 5