The Mulch Thread

dingo bingo

Was searching earlier for posts here about mulching and couldn't find much at all really. It's something that I reckon people do in a whole wide variety of ways so thought I'd start a thread in the hope that folk can share their methods for a novice like myself to learn from.

Strulch seems to be popular as a mulch after planting out to keep the soil around the plants moist and to also deter slugs, how many people recommend that?

What's on my mind right now is mulching with plastic sheeting - to warm up the soil faster to increase microbial activity in the soil before planting out and also as a way to kill off/suppress weeds from an area to make new beds in for next year. Any thoughts on either of those two ideas?

I'd also like to know what people do for mulching their plots over winter and what materials they use....

Cheers, DB.

• Like 3

Big fan of mulch right here. :hippy:large.IMG_20240403_175858.jpg.0533cd1c1a4ca855495dfa999c01a789.jpglarge.IMG_20240403_175142.jpg.9472c8515ecb6e7e8b22fd1b30fb23ac.jpg

Charles Dowding is a good resource for mulching.

These guys as well 

Pile it high and save yourself work while improving your soil :hippy:

• Like 9

3 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Big fan of mulch right here. :hippy:large.IMG_20240403_175858.jpg.0533cd1c1a4ca855495dfa999c01a789.jpglarge.IMG_20240403_175142.jpg.9472c8515ecb6e7e8b22fd1b30fb23ac.jpg

Charles Dowding is a good resource for mulching.

These guys as well 

Pile it high and save yourself work while improving your soil :hippy:

Never thought of using it indoors but then living soil is alien to my coco habit. Would love to try it one day though! Is that Comfrey in both pics? Also, out of curiosity - what are those Koppert bags hanging up?

Thanks for sharing those videos, I'll check them out. Heard many good things about Charles Dowding. :yep:

• Like 2

I would definitely recommend it mate. If you just want to dip a toe, grab a 50L grassroots fabric pot and a single bag of eco life or indoor organics soil, that's really all you need to get going.

Yes that is Comfrey, well spotted, bloody brilliant stuff. 

The hanging packets are slow release predator sachets, I have an ongoing thrip problem. 

• Like 4

I like watching build a soil on tube can’t remember his name but he does massive living soil beds indoors he’s a good fucking bloke 

• Like 2

Jeremy. 

Yeah it's great reference material. I do find he makes things a bit overcomplicated, which can make it seem a bit overwhelming to newcomers, plus he's a salesman at the end of the day so he's prone to using every product under the sun when you don't need half of it. Very inspirational though and clearly knows what he's doing. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

Love Ruth. I got my mum her book "How to have a green thumb without an aching back" brilliant read. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Love Ruth. I got my mum her book "How to have a green thumb without an aching back" brilliant read. 

Sounds like a good book, might have to order a copy, even if doesn’t get ready till winter.  Cheers 

I quite like her personality / outlook on life , as much as the gardening advice. 

• Like 2

Yeah I'm yet to get round to reading it but mum reckons it's great. Like you say it's her whole attitude and approach to life. Set your own standards, cleave your own path etc, it really highlights how much wasted energy we have a tendency to put into things. I'm guessing you've read The One Straw Revolution? If not get it, you can read it cover to cover in a day and it's a seriously good book, the philosophy stretches way beyond gardening. 

@Killuminati7 That was one I found from watching BAS :hippy:

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 5

I’d also recommend a book called Teaming with Microbes by Jeff Lowenfel and Wayne Lewis. :smokin:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Flamedodger said:

I’d also recommend a book called Teaming with Microbes by Jeff Lowenfel and Wayne Lewis. :smokin:

Good read that one 

• Like 1

They also wrote Teaming With Bacteria, Teaming With Fungi and Teaming With Nutrients.  Very interesting, I liked the microbes and fungi ones best.  Big mulch fan here too, Strulched my garden last year but this year, went for well-rotted manure, every year something different.  Talking about soil improvers I made some leafmould for the first time last year but takes 2 years to reach prime crumbliness-always wondered why you can’t buy it anywhere…

• Like 5

16 hours ago, MindSoup said:

Yeah I'm yet to get round to reading it but mum reckons it's great. Like you say it's her whole attitude and approach to life. Set your own standards, cleave your own path etc, it really highlights how much wasted energy we have a tendency to put into things. I'm guessing you've read The One Straw Revolution? If not get it, you can read it cover to cover in a day and it's a seriously good book, the philosophy stretches way beyond gardening. 

@Killuminati7 That was one I found from watching BAS :hippy:

Ordered both.  Cheers 

• Like 2