The Mulch Thread

dingo bingo

Nice one. I imagine you already know what those books can teach, but reaffirmation never hurts, especially when the whole world is trying to tell you your wrong lol

• Like 5

Great idea for a thread.  Why didn't I think of this. I make batches every year. 

• Like 5

I chucked a bale of straw and hay over my bed and plot yeterday.

Dug most of it in but left some above ground to act as a mulch.

Pics.

large.P1040163.JPG.c2af4ed6e2543fad6fad9cec9c3a80a6.JPGlarge.P1040162.JPG.f6a4a511194da9f8856e5b97c528d853.JPG

Used it last year but think the wildlife nicked most of it thats why i dug a load into the soil.

Maybe the wrong place to ask but could someone recommend a "cover crop" seed preferably a mixture pack of different seeds.

• Like 5

Looking good dude. Anything you buy as a "cover crop mix" will likely cost a lot more than just buying them separately. Indoor organics mix looks as good as any, maybe pick a few off the list (clover should be one of them for sure) and then buy them same things on eBay separately for probably a lot less money. 

• Like 3

Crimson clover doesn’t crimp as well as other varieties. Don’t use alfaalfa, it has wiry roots….just my tuppence worth 👍🏼

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Flamedodger said:

crimp

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anybody dealt with a company "living soils" or used any of thier stuff they have a cover crop 500g 12.99

• Like 1

Never bought their products, but I doubt they'll be able to fuck up a seed mix. 

E2A I love that someone is just posting pictures of their ganja plants on the review for the cover crop lol

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

On 19/04/2024 at 09:59, MindSoup said:

Nice one. I imagine you already know what those books can teach, but reaffirmation never hurts, especially when the whole world is trying to tell you your wrong lol

I was lucky that I grew up feeling part of nature, interacting within it …  also read up on organic gardening practices from an early age (sure heard about the one straw book, possibly skimmed a pdf) …. At the end of the day, lot of this stuff is intuitive if you haven’t been removed from a natural environment… feel bad for all the kids these days who are stuck on screens….  Good news for guerrilla growing though lol  

Organic gardening in a nut shell is about looking after the soil , and the plants will grow themselves .  And you only have to rummage about in the wilderness to know that nature has been mulching itself long before we came along….  That’s the best way to learn this stuff…. Did soil science at college, was shit! 

I say all this but then plant my cannabis in holes amended with osmocote and water holding polymers…. lol

E2a;  ‘The world’ = people’s preconceived ideas?….  Best to ignore that, unless you enjoy pointless arguments!  Well it is a Sunday.  

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

I say all this but then plant my cannabis in holes amended with osmocote and water holding polymers…. lol

lol

If it works but works! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

lol

If it works but works! 

If it wasn’t illegal / I owned the land,  would be trailer loads of manure & hay/straw mulch.  

But fuck lugging that in a bergen at a time!  

I do think there’s an argument for ‘all guns blazing’ agriculture , so long as it’s in an area where pollution doesn’t spread (away from water courses etc)   With idea that it’s so high yielding,  you can then have surplus land to re-wild ….  I guess when compartmentalising like this, you have to consider making ‘highways’ to join up the natural spaces in some instances….  

I’m also pro GM (when done properly) for same reasons…. Make that farming as efficient as possible, with least spraying etc,  then don’t need to deforest for new land / can even turn things back…..

Discussion probably going slightly beyond scope of mulching thread now…. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, murphyblue said:

Anybody dealt with a company "living soils" or used any of thier stuff they have a cover crop 500g 12.99

I thought it rang a bell. I have some of their bloom amendments, top dressing.

They list all the ingredients on the bag, not sure Bat Guano is strictly organic, but seems alright. Company is legit anyway 👍🏼

• Like 3

Thanks @Flamedodger will order some up come payday as thats a good amount for the money.

Thanks for the utube vid @Amarillo slim i loved that womans attitude looks like i need more straw and hay.

The bales were pretty cheap at £2.50 each and really compressed so theres a lot in there reckon i could get 4 in my new rucksack.

Only problem i had with it last season was i laid it on way to thick in the big pot.

And i actually over watered as the straw was stopping any evaporation was soaking underneath it.

• Like 3

OP u can put a layer of compost ontop of your ground/spot then layer cardboard compost and other organics like a no till or even dig a hole fill it with whatever you want then cardboard onto I would cover the cardboard with more mulch .

• Like 3