Propagation Seedling LED Grow Light Query

If you just want something as easy as possible and you already have a T5 maybe just grab some led T5 bulbs/tubes and swap them out. 4000k to about 6500k or natural white to cool white spectrum is the ball park for veg. You can get them from Toolstation/Screwfix etc for about 3-4 quid each. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, MindSoup said:

If you just want something as easy as possible and you already have a T5 maybe just grab some led T5 bulbs/tubes and swap them out. 4000k to about 6500k or natural white to cool white spectrum is the ball park for veg. You can get them from Toolstation/Screwfix etc for about 3-4 quid each.

You must be or have some Jockistani in you, excellent thriftiness, some might say we are a nation of tight-wads,  the 3 of us (me, myself and NGG) prefer thriftiness, a much more attractive trait in a person or Nation.
Great advice though the T5 led replacement tubes. Intersting points made about red spectrum, thanks those posters for that one, knowledge gaining and learning, thank fuck, don't cease as one approaches dotage!!

Om Shanti Stay Safe all.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MindSoup said:

My Granny on my mother's side was a Scot

Knew there had to be some kind of connection, no body is as thrift minded as us!! Congrats on your maternal parentage! 🤣🤣🤣👍

• Like 2
4 hours ago, MindSoup said:

??

see them listed all over the place online? 

It'll be old stock, once they're gone we can't restock them. Something to do with the EU and the mercury in them. 

• Like 2

If you put LEDs in a set up that was running fluorescent lamps you may need to add some heating and/or insulation too, the heat given off by fluoros is ideal for young plants.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, MindSoup said:

just grab some led T5 bulbs/tubes and swap them out.

I bought a LED tube for my kitchen, turned out as mine didn't have a starter plug thing on the fixture it wouldn't work as it has some power box thing inside instead.

Something to check before buying 👍

1 hour ago, GSZZ said:

It'll be old stock, once they're gone we can't restock them. Something to do with the EU and the mercury in them. 

My dad was on about that the other day when my kitchen light didn't turn on and I asked him if he could get me a new one, he said you can't get them anymore and that I needed to get the housing people to fit a new LED fitting in.

Later in the day my mum mentions that my grandad used to give them a wack and they would start working again, gave it a try and it worked lol, been a week now without any problems🥳

• WOW 1
  • Haha 1

Ah yes the old whack it trick. That kept out kitchen light going for about 4 years iirc 😅

I did hear they were getting banned/phased out, but they said that about incandescents years ago and you can still get hold of those as well so I'd imagine these T5 tubes will be about for a while longer. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Haha 2

Fucking love my t5s for young uns , just bought some new bulbs found it hard to find um nowadays tho

• Like 3
11 hours ago, Killuminati7 said:

Fucking love my t5s for young uns , just bought some new bulbs found it hard to find um nowadays tho

They are difficult to find😬

So difficult I compltely forgot I had six spares in a Really Useful box in the loft🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, PabloAcuario said:

They are difficult to find😬

So difficult I compltely forgot I had six spares in a Really Useful box in the loft🤣

I might just buy the lot from this shop I found lol , it’s the only place I can find, wonder how many they got  left 😬

• Haha 1
On 19/04/2024 at 00:07, Killuminati7 said:

I might just buy the lot from this shop I found lol , it’s the only place I can find, wonder how many they got  left 😬

My local shop has them, Progrow, I got 4 last week. He has a good variety too 👍🏼

• Like 1

Progrow is near me it’s a really nice soil  probably will have to feed in veg but that’s no probs 🙂