Best Strimmer/ Chainsaw for clearing Brambles

GuerillaOG

Hey Gorillas,,

So i need something that is cordless and portable (Either a Strimmer or Chain Saw) but also small enough to fit into a back-pack and not something that is gonna break after 5 minutes. Any suggestions? 

Appreciated. Thanks 

15 minutes ago, GuerillaOG said:

Hey Gorillas,,

So i need something that is cordless and portable (Either a Strimmer or Chain Saw) but also small enough to fit into a back-pack and not something that is gonna break after 5 minutes. Any suggestions? 

Appreciated. Thanks 

Screwfix has a couple for sale, not overly expensive either, don't know about them fitting into a backpack though 

Edited by Celtic voyager
Spelling
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Celtic voyager said:

@GuerillaOG

This could suit your needs

Thanks mate, i think that product is good for strimming grass but brambles can be 2 inches thick in diameter so would need something that's not gonna break so easily. I like that it is adjustable though, maybe i need a chainsaw then

Edited by GuerillaOG
  • Like 1

Just now, GuerillaOG said:

Thanks mate, i think that product is good for strimming grass but brambled and can 2 inches think in diameter so would need something that's not gonna break so easily. 

Sorry, my fault 

I didn't read your question properly 

For clearing brambles/briars, you will need something a lot more powerful that a cordless. 

I have a 50cc strimmer here, and it can find it tough going clearing brambles 

• Like 1

i was thinking something like the "F-Series Cordless Hedge Trimmer" from Vonhaus. ( on google) That looks pretty solid, and 75cm will just about fit in a big back pack but i think for £54 it might be a bit shit. lol 

large.9350EC6B-6C61-4588-9E2F-F1A874B807A6.jpeg.cf171b75c03428101e0160d28dc4fca4.jpeg

Been using this past few years. Good make so will last longer than cheaper ones 

Anything Makita or Dewalt and you'll be good 

Can be a bit expensive to start off with as you'll need charger and batteries but the way i looked at it was, i was spending days chopping them with machete and bill hooks and all that and now, i can clear it on a few hours

Ive got loads of tools already due to my line of work so i only needed to buy the bare unit.

Ive also got a cordless strimmer and instead of standard spool, i've put in a clothes line, the one that's got plastic coated wire. Fitted in the hole and cuts through bracken and thin brambles easily

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, crazy-sheep said:

large.9350EC6B-6C61-4588-9E2F-F1A874B807A6.jpeg.cf171b75c03428101e0160d28dc4fca4.jpeg

Been using this past few years. Good make so will last longer than cheaper ones 

Anything Makita or Dewalt and you'll be good 

Can be a bit expensive to start off with as you'll need charger and batteries but the way i looked at it was, i was spending days chopping them with machete and bill hooks and all that and now, i can clear it on a few hours

Ive got loads of tools already due to my line of work so i only needed to buy the bare unit.

Ive also got a cordless strimmer and instead of standard spool, i've put in a clothes line, the one that's got plastic coated wire. Fitted in the hole and cuts through bracken and thin brambles easily

Thanks mate, that looks like the one, i can see it is on sale at £178 as well and although that's a bit out of my budget i could save up in time for April/May when season begins. As you say, its for every year so a sturdy investment for any gorilla. Cheers 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GuerillaOG said:

sale at £178

Have a look on marketplace, gumtree, ebay and all that to see if someone is selling charger and or batteries and if you can pick them up cheaper, you only have to buy the trimmer new as a bare unit. 

• Like 2

I can confirm the makita hedge trimmer as recommended by @crazy-sheep. I'm not gorilla, but I like it for trimming hedges. It's great for clearing bush, but also will only really be good for fine stuff. I can also recommend the 2x18v makita chainsa for thicker wood, but will start to get a wee bit more expensive.

• Like 2

Brambles? Battery operated won't suit, for speed and "Grunt" on a bramble patch your going to need a two-stroke, fact, nothing else will "cut it". large.P1020377.JPG.6b6c981d259b952aa5eed7300a914779.JPGlarge.user462206_pic1752453_1497040648.jpg.a47eacf28cbaa754f26a0ac6f8cbb3c3.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GuerillaOG said:

Thanks mate, i think that product is good for strimming grass but brambles can be 2 inches thick in diameter so would need something that's not gonna break so easily. I like that it is adjustable though, maybe i need a chainsaw then

Chainsaws are all well and good but a huge bramble mattress will take an age. large.post-2066-0-22988700-1457131388.jpg.fc215fef26f30046d5d9e40857c0a37c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I’ve got a 36v battery Makita strimmer with a brush cutter blade which is brilliant for nettles and the odd bramble but as already said I wouldn’t fancy cutting out a whole patch with one. Chopper’s right petrol is still king, battery life don’t last that long but unless your doing big plots the battery options have plenty of power these days and so quiet, the noisiest bit is the blade hitting the foliage. 

• Like 4