Council coming to fit a new boiler, advise needed

threewisemonkeys

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I feel a lot better about this now and hopefully all will go smoothly.

4 hours ago, le0n.v6 said:

i've got a similar situation with estate agents coming round in a few days  to value the property. luckily mine are only week 2 veg and small enough to go in a cupboard and the tent taken down for the day. wouldnt mind an update on how you got on with this 👍

They’re not coming for just over a week, you’ll be done before me, let me know how you get on.

• Like 1

@threewisemonkeys  Its a risk having it there when they come I wont pretend mate, but its not a really big deal tbh, they want to just get done and get home and dont really care about what you do in your place.

The power will go off periodically, it wont be off the whole time they are there. The job will take several hours if its a whole new boiler, a switch for the same model or close will be much less time but its unlikely in your case. They cant keep your power off full time, I dont know of the regs but its a "Guideline" not to have the power off in a domestic property unless or when it needed as people have fridges, freezers, work at home, have children etc etc.

I'm a council tenant, had to do all sorts.

A few suggestions:

Put them outside in a closed shed or build something and seal it up with those jelly air freshner things inside with it. if you put black sacks over the plants as well it honestly does help and you can actually spray that detol air freshener over the black sacks.

You could put them in an area there is no rad's like under the stairs cupboard or something similar and put your extraction in there and run a temp exhaust, at least when the power is on it will refresh the smell.

If you have an attic or attic space above the garage you can turn a grow tent on its side and set up a temp extraction up there.

It will likely only be the one guy fitting the boiler and for 95% of the time they are there they will be sittin / standing in front of the boiler itself.

At the end they will need to issue a new Gas Safty cert and will tes all the gas in your house, like cooker etc if you have a gas cooker. So juts whatever you decide if you keep them in the house just make sure to keep them away from Radiators and anything running off Gas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no outbuilding or the likes to hide them, the cupboard they’re in in the bedroom is built in, so there will be nothing obvious like a tent and it’s opposite the rad that they will need access too, I do feel a lot better about it all now, I can’t see it being an issue, I will keep you all updated and thanks again.

• Like 1

Just make sure that the built in cupboards don’t have a panel for pipes behind it . My kitchen cupboard has the gas , water and waste behind a panel.  The bedroom one has the old heating ones in it and the sewage pipe . My heating boilers the other side in hallway so pipes go through the back panel of bedroom cupboard. My main water stop is also behind the panel in the bedroom. It’s all good till it ain’t lol 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Arthur Mix said:

Just make sure that the built in cupboards don’t have a panel for pipes behind it . My kitchen cupboard has the gas , water and waste behind a panel.  The bedroom one has the old heating ones in it and the sewage pipe . My heating boilers the other side in hallway so pipes go through the back panel of bedroom cupboard. My main water stop is also behind the panel in the bedroom. It’s all good till it ain’t lol 

Thankfully no there are no panels or anything anywhere near.

• Like 1

Is your main concern smell due to the filtration system being turned off or do you have other concerns?

If it's only the smell this is easily covered up by burning bacon in a frying pan just before they arrive (The smell lasts for hours). Offer em a bacon sarnie and a cup of tea too (make sure you don't burn their bacon lol)

• Like 1

In which case, instead of smelling weed, you'll be smelling bacon..............and weed. Just saying, the smell will still be present, albeit blended with another smell. An odour neutralising product is far more effective than one that simply masks it. 

I’ve got joss sticks incoming, I’ll have them on the go before they arrive and throughout, if they do notice the smell I’ll just say “yeah I’ve just changed the joss stick to a cannabis flavour” that’s if they bring it up, I’m hoping the electric won’t be off for too long.

Edited by threewisemonkeys
Spelling

47 minutes ago, threewisemonkeys said:

I’ve just changed the joss stick to a cannabis flavour

I wouldn't do that mate if I was you.

Don't mention canna as it might put thoughts in their/his mind.

Can you not phone the company and find out what the exact procedure is? Say you work from home and are concerned about noise, electricity being turned off or anything else you can think of that could disturb you and stop you from doing your daily job..at least then you will know for sure what you need to do to keep them from knowing what your up to..better to know than to guess imo as you could be worrying over nothing.

Hope it goes OK and does not hinder your hobby 👍

• Thanks 1

I can’t move them and can’t change how long the electric will be off for, just going to have to wing it, hopefully the smell will be minimal over the joss sticks.

a clove of garlic and an onion in oil on the hob, nothing will smell over that. Was my go to when I used to wet trim👍

• Like 1

I hope this goes well for you. It’s good to be concerned and prepared but don’t let your brain run away with the worst possible scenario. Most likely outcome is electricity will be off briefly and smell won’t escape the cupboard/bedroom. Even if they did smell or suspect anything, that doesn’t automatically mean they would report you. I personally have ONA gel blocks on hand for this kind of thing as I think they are more effective than burning joss sticks etc. 

• Like 1

The acrid smell of burnt toast hangs in the air for ages too. Curry or a slow cooking stew when the boiler is being changed?  A distraction for the nostrils. :B):