Council coming to fit a new boiler, advise needed

threewisemonkeys

Thanks for taking the time to read, as above I’m having a new boiler fitted in my kitchen, I was wondering if anyone knows how long the electric will be off for? I have a grow in my bedroom cupboard and I’m worried that when the electric goes off my bedroom will start to smell, I will be four and a half weeks into flower when they come, said it could take a whole day to do, surely the electric won’t be off all day? I’m shitting it a bit, TIA 

I doubt that would cut it now a days, besides I don’t cut down till the 5th of April and would need extra time to dry, far too long to try and put them off.

I really need a rough idea of how long the electric will be off for while they do the work, I can burn incense in the bedroom when they turn it off.

You could get one of those jackery things or similar. They’re not exactly pocket change but it’ll keep yer extraction going for a good few hours. 

I have checked the fuse board in my flat and there is no switch for the boiler, there is sockets, lights, lights and smoke alarms, and cooker, so I’m guessing they will cut the lot?

I'd be more worried about the powerflush your radiator system will need than power going off. Assuming you're having a direct swap for the boiler, it'll simply be a case of switching off the spur, removing the existing cable and replacing it with the new one. At most you'll need the power off for minutes, if at all. (technically you "shouldn't" work live, but we all do sometimes.)

3 minutes ago, monkeypig said:

I'd be more worried about the powerflush your radiator system will need than power going off. Assuming you're having a direct swap for the boiler, it'll simply be a case of switching off the spur, removing the existing cable and replacing it with the new one. At most you'll need the power off for minutes, if at all. (technically you "shouldn't" work live, but we all do sometimes.)

Yes it’s a straight swap, iirc the guy said I need a new filter fitting or something like that.

thank you you have put my mind at rest, if it’s only off for ten mins or so then all good.

power flush what’s that and why should it bother me?

Just now, threewisemonkeys said:

power flush what’s that and why should it bother me?

I'm a sparks, not a plumber, but my understanding is that a new boiler needs to have had the radiators system powerflushed to clean debris out in order for the warranty to be valid. I'm sure a heating engineer will be along soon to confirm or correct me!

• Like 1

I’m aware that they’re going to have to flush the system, why will this have any impact on my grow in the cupboard?

Just now, threewisemonkeys said:

, why will this have any impact on my grow in the cupboard?

again, sparks not plumber, but powerflush requires each radiator to be opened and closed during the process.

• Like 1

That’s fine as long as my extractor is on when they’re doing it

Edited by threewisemonkeys

My boiler was recently replaced, no flush needed, power was off 2 mins 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They may have to purge your heating system of air once the new boiler is in. If you don't have a radiator in the cupboard you are growing in then there is no need to worry about it. Have a look to see where your boiler is plugged/wired in, it may be on its own fused spur so there is no need for the power to go off.

• Thanks 1

i've got a similar situation with estate agents coming round in a few days  to value the property. luckily mine are only week 2 veg and small enough to go in a cupboard and the tent taken down for the day. wouldnt mind an update on how you got on with this 👍

• Thanks 1