Self Contained Propogation Station

Hello chums. 

I'm trying to find/dream up a compact standalone solution for taking cuts, so basically a box with a prop and a light in it, maybe a heat mat although I can just tuck it somewhere warm if needs be.  

Does anyone know of anything like this that's not massively over priced? Or maybe you've made one? 

Maybe a big black stacking box, a prop and couple of CFLs, I've got half an idea but would be cool to see what other people have come up with. 

Did even consider a mini aerocloner, they seem pretty fool proof, any DIY guides for those? 

You can get a heated prop quite cheap and plug it into a temperature controller so it doesn't cook them,  I used them for years in my veg cab. One with the lid on and one with the lid off to move to once rooted.

Yeah I guess one of those in a light proof box and a couple of led strips/cfla would work pretty well. 

Are you just going to root them then ship them off to the veg cab or veg them some inside there too?

If its just rooting then you only need an 11w cfl really.

People in the states used to grow full term scrogs in storage boxes with holes cut for the cfl ballast to fit snugly with the bulb inside and the connector outside. The rubbermaid club on OG.

I need to sort out a clone vegging solution so I'm interested to see what you do.

Edited by inceywinceyspider

Yeah just for rooting cuts really, then I'll pot them on and stick them in the veg cab, I just don't have room for a full size prop in there. 

I remember those rubbermade/bin grow boxes, people did quite well out of them for the time.

Maybe a cool box converted to an aerocloner with the light integrated into the lid, a water pump and tank heater, seaweed solution and a raised floating plate with neoprene lined holes for the cuttings so the stems sit just above the waters surface.

I think between the two of us we definitely need to make something out of a cool box lol. I do like the idea of an aero cloner, seems like the least amount of work compared to fucking about with plugs etc. 

@MindSoup I made a prop box out of an old UPS box and a 24w T5. 

box was approx 2ftx1ftx1ft. I lined it with diamond reflective film and used some screws/nuts to secure the light in place at the top. 

I don’t have any pics as they are all on RIU under my same username if you wanted to try and look. 

made it around 2010 or so then opted to fit the light to a shelf in my walk way to my groom. 

you can if you want fit a 12v DC PC fan inside the box if you want any “wind” to sturdy then etc. 

where the top of the box opened was actually used as the side opening so the box was supposed to sit on its side when being used. 

this didn’t require any heat mats etc as it was contained within the growing area. 

the 24w T5 didn’t heat up too much and if worried you could leave the box open (light spread would be dependant on whether anything was near to the box). 

• Like 1

Ez  @MindSoup not had a lot of places o could use black tote or would use that for wheels sake lol haha

I can use a converted ottoman as can live on show ;) also got tube heater / heat mat upgrade :naughty: use t5s but have another another room with cheap led t5 replacements, use pc fans with speed controller as outtake doubled up and 2 smaller ones to move air, so pop passive intakes does me proud :)

use the silver lined insulation all way around !!

big love atb

stig

• Like 2

@JonDaMon don't think i have an RIU account anymore, will I still be able to see them?  Glad to know the idea has legs. 

@Stigofthedank sounds like a brilliant idea stealth AF, I did buy a coffee table with storage inside a while ago, I was thinking of doing something similar but it's ended up being filled with random crap by the GF lol

I use a spare kitchen cupboard. 1 20w heatmat, spacers (don't wanna cook the cuttings), and a single 6500k T5 on 16/8hrs. 

The XL propagator can house 70 cuttings in 1 go. How many cuttings you want? More can be made in waves. If you're going for big numbers, I recommend the Eazy Cube/Block system. 

large.IMG-9376.JPG.0a8f8c636995c1b8c1c5b5f0fb0fae34.JPG 

• Like 7

Haha :pitchfork:inside outside brother!!!

lol Just to top it off when I took cuts of some very smelly “grapes of wrath” I made a bean can carbon filter using virgin activated carbon and a can, with tights attached to outtake and dish of Ona behind, had none smokers in and in literally sat on ottoman :naughty:

i will grab photos asap as about to get a good clean and set back up, I also used hooks on top with yo-yos for lights. It’s as close to silent as I can get and keep good temps and humidity, I actually nagged mine of the ex lol much better filled with baby’s,

like the coffee table idea man!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Slippy One said:

I use a spare kitchen cupboard. 1 20w heatmat, spacers (don't wanna cook the cuttings), and a single 6500k T5 on 16/8hrs. 

The XL propagator can house 70 cuttings in 1 go. How many cuttings you want? More can be made in waves. If you're going for big numbers, I recommend the Eazy Cube/Block system. 

large.IMG-9376.JPG.0a8f8c636995c1b8c1c5b5f0fb0fae34.JPG 

That renes???

• Like 1

@Slippy One not many to be fair, no more than 20 or so at a time and usually a lot less. Those cube things are pretty nifty, bit like the root it plugs, but I stopped using them because they weren't breaking down in my no till bed, worms will eat the roots out of them but they don't touch the plugs. That's why an aero cloner came to mind, then I can just put them in 7cm pots of compost. 

• Like 1