Which Light for Beginner?

SamCooked

1 hour ago, KC said:

@DeltaMelter There was another similar one the other day going for £270 with a ballast.

I'm so inexperienced even the word 'ballast' makes me nervous 😂

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, SamCooked said:

Planning on using the grow tent to dry in when the grow is finished, is that a good idea or should I get a separate small tent for drying and attach to the main tent?

As long as you dont need the tent for other things, then yes, a tent can double up as a dryer. 

I use a herb dryer, but could just as easy use my 1.2x1.2x2 as a dryer

Thanks @AJA

I have a herb dryer, a wedryer, and a standard 60cm hanging dryer I've used for outdoor grows in the past. As it's my first indoor grow I don't need the tent for anything else so will just use it to dry too 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SamCooked said:

I'm so inexperienced even the word 'ballast' makes me nervous 😂

Wait until one melts on you,hps is crap in that department id buy led just for that.

• Like 1

Cheap digital ballasts might be shit but ive got ballasts that are a good 15 years old and I've never had any bother. The old trusty coil ones are great imo. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Herbal Kint said:

Wait until one melts on you,hps is crap in that department id buy led just for that.

I'm definitely leaning towards led's, the less melting the better.

• Like 1

@SamCooked 2.5 feet along the edges, so should have written 'about 6 sq feet ish' :) ...4 x 6.5l square pots most of the time, but don't weigh it so dunno exactly; about the usage, if kept going, of two stoners. I shut it down over winter, tho, so nowt to show right now.

Seeds are one of the most most bullshit priced things going, imho - fems or normal seeds means you can keep mother plants and sack that dependency on money grabbers off; proper independence, do repeat grows of the stuff you like - would recommend... I use 5" pots, keep them trimmed back, under 2  x 26w strip lights (solid state type, not florescent) and also have small early veg/rooting cuttings under them.... Works.

It's not hard. You'd get the knack if you can grow houseplants etc.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
  • Like 2

@j.o.i.n.t Would it be better for a beginner to do 1 maybe 2 plants to keep it simple to start with? 

Yeah I agree seeds are crazy expensive. Just dipping my feet in the water now but long term it would be awesome to have mothers and even do a bit of amateur breeding for fun 

@SamCooked It's not so much about number of plants, to my mind -  it's variety in their needs that ups the complexity (which is swerved completely if you take cuttings off the same plant)....but If, say, you were to get some  SK1 seeds, something 'stable', they'll be much of a muchness and you could feed them all the same and they'd all be fine, most prob. But not all seed lines are stable, F2's can be a box of frogs. Very different breed, also - say a very thinned leaved lanky type verses a short, squat wide leafed type can have very different needs (nitrogen - 'grow nutes').

But, yes, perhaps. If you've not dealt with all this crap before - feeds and timers and carbon filters etc etc - smaller test grow, getting a feel, might be wise - but I do that with all new shit I do!

Do you have a past of growing anything non-weed? ...In terms of growing plants, it's not a hard one. If you can do tomatoes/chillies you can do weed...Main problem is growing it well and hiding it, controlling the 'climate'.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
  • Like 1

I wouldn't go for a 1 or 2 plant grow from seed, you just don't know what you're going to get, they might be shit. I just had to pull a plant from my room because it was throwing nanas out, it's got cookie genetics in. Imagine that was my only plant, i'd be right in the shit. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, KC said:

1 or 2 plant grow from seed

Yes, thanks for clarifying... I'd plant 5 or 6 for that, and pick the best ones/murder boys.

Do 10 for my 4 plant space when I wake it up.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

murder boys.

don't you mean hermies?, no one uses regs any more it seems lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

Do you have a past of growing anything non-weed?

To some extent, I've grown tomatoes/chillies/some herbs etc and I've been growing weed outdoors for years. 

1 hour ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

it's variety in their needs that ups the complexity 

That makes sense. I guess I was thinking more plants in the same space meant more training would need to be done, and maybe a bit more skill required.

Any recommendation for a beginner friendly indoor strain? 

@ratdog I must be old fashioned! Still lean that way :D

I have tried a few fems now, and they were easier - no denying that... Still do more of them though. Like to choose.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, KC said:

I wouldn't go for a 1 or 2 plant grow from seed

17 minutes ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

I'd plant 5 or 6

That's true, weed out the runts.