Which Light for Beginner?

SamCooked

Hi, as the title says I'm new when it comes to indoor. My only experience is some seedlings in a small led set up.

I currently have a 1x1x1.8m tent, rhino pro cf and rvk inline fan and I'm looking to get a light to start a small grow for maybe 1/2 plants in a spare bedroom.

Was looking at some LED's as I read they're full spectrum for the whole grow, and figured that would be less complicated for a first timer.

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced light for the most straight forward grow?  I've looked at some like vivarspectra, spider farmer, omega but some advice from someone who knows what they're doing would be great. Thank you! 

@SamCooked Have a look at 'Lumatek Attis 300w/200w'

My space smaller than yours, I use the 200w to finish growing/flower ( 2.5 sq feet), but I've been very happy with it for a basic light - plants like it.... Not over priced (can be quite 'cheap' on sale), comes ready to just hang up and plug in, and got a dial on the side to adjust the output. Piece of piss and no bother.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can do a whole grow with a hps too, they're really cheap nowadays but remember to buy a contactor too. There's no need to change bulbs although some like to use a metal halide for veg, it's really not necessary.

What sort of budget are you looking at? Led is more expensive but you can use less wattage so you do make some money back on electric as long as you don't have to use too much on heating. Summer is great for that.

• Thanks 1

Hi

Don't scrimp on your LED light. It will last years and is one of the most important pieces of kit you will buy. A Migro 3 Array (250W) would be worth looking at. I have two lights putting out 325W in a 1.2x1.2 tent. I am toying with the idea of upgrading to Lumii 6 Bar (720W) single LED light that is dimmable.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DeltaMelter said:

Wow that Lumii 6 Bar 720W is like £300 - mind blown.

Its 400euros here,300 sounds good.

Is that actual 720w?

• Like 1

My Omega Black 720 was £270.  It's a big bugger though.  Need a 1.2 x 1.2  x 2M  to fit it in.  Needs a tall tent too.  I measured about 80+F  with light on 25% only , and 4ft from floor, and i mean right down to the floor.  Add height of pot + height of plant, and a 2M  tent is necessary

That was without any heaters of any kind.

• Like 1

@KC I'm really tempted with one for my 4x4 I have a big CF though so would need to be careful with height (or stick it on the floor) but I reckon I'll get less stretch with a light like that anyway. Tent is 1.2x1.2 x2m so I should be good if I duck/weave/top n bend my way in. I have one of these bar lights in the 3x3 and it pulled 10 Oz from 300w so I'm keen to give these a go in the 4x4.

Was thinking £600 notes for a Zeus type affair or a cheaper Spider Farmer but dang those lights are cheap, foldable one too that 720w.

Glad I didn't buy any expensive seeds now :)

• Like 2

@DeltaMelter They do look very tempting at that price, hopefully companies like Lumatek might drop their prices a bit now. I was drooling over HLG lights the other day but they're stupid money when you see deals like those 720 watters.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

@SamCooked Have a look at 'Lumatek Attis 300w/200w'

Thanks that sounds like a nice straight forward one, price is around what I'm willing to spend too.

4 hours ago, j.o.i.n.t said:

My space smaller than yours, I use the 200w to finish growing/flower ( 2.5 sq feet)

How many plants do you grow in that space and what's your yield like?  I was thinking maybe 1-4 plants depending on photo/auto, but probably 1/2 photos to keep it simple for my first run.

1 hour ago, KC said:

You can do a whole grow with a hps too

Thanks for some reason I thought led would be simpler and less concern in regards to heat (though heat might be useful in the cold months I guess). Would consider hps just never used it

1 hour ago, KC said:

What sort of budget are you looking at?

Probably say £200-300, less ideally haha. But I'm willing to pay more than that initially if the better light makes a significant difference in yield potential/safety etc

Edited by SamCooked
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lux_Interior said:

Don't scrimp on your LED light.

Thanks I'm definitely willing to fork out a bit more if it lasts longer/is more efficient. Also maybe it doesn't matter with leds I'm not sure, but I wouldn't want a Chinese knock off that I'm going to worry about spontaneously bursting into flames or something 😆

1 hour ago, Lux_Interior said:

I have two lights putting out 325W in a 1.2x1.2 tent

How many plants do you usually grow? 

1 hour ago, AJA said:

Need a 1.2 x 1.2  x 2M  to fit it in

I would consider getting a bigger tent in the future probably going to see what I can manage in this one for now. 

Planning on using the grow tent to dry in when the grow is finished, is that a good idea or should I get a separate small tent for drying and attach to the main tent?