led grow lights

theGODFARMER

hi im going to soon get back into growing. been 10 years since i last done a grow!  always used hps lights but looking into led's... do they yield as good as hps, any advice on them would be great, thamks

• Like 4

LED Grow Lights are better on almost every metric.

What size will your grow space be? It's important to get the LED Grow Light with the best par map coverage for your grow space.

Also where do you plan to have the grow space? As if in a cold area you may have to think about additional heating if in a place like a loft/shed in the winter.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 3

hi thanks for reply!! the space is going to be1m x1.3m... there so many different brand with varying prices and im not sure what to go for i was looking at philizon fd45500!! tbh i need to do more reseach on what to go for

• Like 1

Just hit my first g/w using leds,go for it. 465w or 480w of quality leds for that space imo

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Herbal Kint said:

Just hit my first g/w using leds,go for it. 465w or 480w of quality leds for that space imo

i just looked at the pics in your latesr album, was that using led

Led is quite different to hps as it produces so much less heat, the ventilation required is less and humidity needs to be controlled carefully to get good growth so you need to work out what fans and controller to use too.

I couldn't suggest a light, but you do tend to get what you pay for, last time I looked the best ones were probably made by HLG but many less expensive ones were perfectly good.

• Like 2

HI, welcome to the site. This will probably get moved, we're not allowed to talk about grow stuff in this bit lol

led rocks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LED has more potential than HPS, but they require much more precise management of your environment to keep the plants happy. To over simplify it, HPS gives off too much heat and LEDs don't give off enough. I'm a car nut so I see HID as like a racing go kart, basic technology, not hugely powerful but easy to operate and access it's full potential, LEDs are more like an F1 car, cutting edge, incredibly capable in the right hands, but a lot harder to drive, in fact quite hard even to pull away without doing some homework. 

It does seem like a lot simpler process to grow with HID, my neighbour just started growing, no idea what he's doing and his plants are just sort of growing. If he was doing what he's doing with LED his plants would be absolutely fucked. 

LED do use less electric, but you have to run a heater a lot of the time which cancels out a lot of the savings (still cheaper overall if you use the led light for long enough). 

I only started indoor growing a few years ago and my tent is tiny, so HIDs have not been an option for me, but if I'm honest I really want to try growing with CMH/HPS at some point, if I had a bigger space I think I'd probably be running LEDs alongside CMH. The girls just seem to prefer radiant heat coming from the same source point as the photons. 

One thing I will say is that as a smoker of 20+ years the weed isn't any better now than It was then, you can still grow absolutely banging weed under HID, in fact a fair few people seem to experience CMH giving better results quality wise... 

So personally I would say it all depends on how much your willing to swat up and how much effort  you want to put in. If you just want to grow as simply as possible and your  happy with your results I'd probably stick with HID, but if you're willing to struggle for a bit and buy a few extra bits of kit then LEDs are worth a try. 

• Like 7

LEDs are a game changer, especially in the warmer months if you can't get to use our God-given free light in the sky.  You'll most likely need supplemental heating during Autumn/Winter and early spring to balance temps & RH%. It can take a while to figure out the sweet spot regarding your environment, but once sorted you'll be as happy as Larry. HPS/MH/CMH still has a place in many gardens.  There's plenty of comparison tests on YouTube mate. 

• Like 2

Don’t forget that not only lights have moved on in 10 years but the way we feed and water has too. Need an app for your grow? Buy AC Infinity where you can. 

@theGODFARMER

Hello mate,

I have moved your topic out of the New Members section to the Lighting section where you will get more responses.

Please feel free to make a new post to introduce yourself to the members in the New Members section and we can all get aquainted, please no grow talk in New Members section.

:smokin:

I think It's well worth going with LEDs.

I  use an old rhino fan with a temp and speed setting. I've got a thermometer hanging at canopy level and tube heater if need be. Pretty basic compared to some set ups.

Another good thing with LEDs is the dimmer.  I start low,  slowly build up.

I drive the f1 car very slow. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lildaveham said:

@theGODFARMER

Hello mate,

I have moved your topic out of the New Members section to the Lighting section where you will get more responses.

Please feel free to make a new post to introduce yourself to the members in the New Members section and we can all get aquainted, please no grow talk in New Members section.

:smokin:

thanks

16 hours ago, theGODFARMER said:

i just looked at the pics in your latesr album, was that using led

Yes par plus 480w next to 600w hps ,same yield,led side maybe ounce more,am converted from all aspects,fire hazard as no1 lol

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/02/2024 at 14:58, Slippy One said:

Don’t forget that not only lights have moved on in 10 years but the way we feed and water has too. Need an app for your grow? Buy AC Infinity where you can. 

Whats changed in relation to feeding and watering? Im also making a comeback so trying to get up to speed!