strong autos- is there such a thing?

badbillybob

2 hours ago, McHazy said:

I don't buy the numbers the fuckers throw out

Back in the day it was like 12% the and it melted ye in a way that the new "high thc" strains just fuckin don't 

Most of the numbers they throw oot I call bullshit on

Yeah either the results are doctored (well TBF they definitely are a lot of the time) or THC % is not the only thing that contributes to potency (also definitely true). It's just US marketing BS, and unfortunately it seems pretty much everyone is falling for it. 

• Like 4

the numbers mean nothing you could grow out a hundred plants of the same strain and they will all have differing thc levels, depending on environment, lighting etc so its a pointless comparison

• Like 3

oh and he ordered some blackberry gum from seedstockers , see it gets decent reviews and he doesnt like critical, which would have been my first choice

BBG got a lot of good reviews, I got a pack of the photos the other day. TBH Oldford told me he wasn't all that impressed, but that was in comparison to brocks shdxbbg which was an absolute belter. 

Night Owl mate :hippy:

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

BBG got a lot of good reviews, I got a pack of the photos the other day. TBH Oldford told me he wasn't all that impressed, but that was in comparison to brocks shdxbbg which was an absolute belter. 

Night Owl mate :hippy:

Your not wrong about the prices though £55 for 3 seeds... is the the same as Mephisto where that is actually a 5 pack? Im probably just gonna got full a 10pk of wedding cake next from Mephisto cause thats 15 seeds and I think 5 freebies as well so it makes it better value all things considered. I do love the Mephisto freebies as well ive had some great plants from just them alone.

18 hours ago, badbillybob said:

im looking for recommendations from people who have actually grown specific strains if possible,

All I grow is autos and have down for a fair few years, greenhouse seeds super lemon haze always comes out nice. I agree with what you’re saying about claimed percentages but Fastbuds do some nice plants. You can get the odd plant which doesn’t do so well but in general they come out nice. Their strawberry gorilla comes out good, and gorilla cookies, gorilla punch is nice too. Most consistent from what I’ve grown is the lemon haze.

• Like 1

@badbillybob I have a few variations on Critical, including Dianafem's. Critical seems to be the most consistent in autos in my casual observations  and generally liked from comments here in the past.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, oldleafybeard1 said:

yeah at thats exactly my issue maybe I can water at 6am only one day and11pm only another day I would never be able to water without interrupting the dark cycles so it has to be autos for me just so thats not an issue any more, could be a situation where I cant water for 2 weeks cause id have to open the tent during darkness, for me that just rules it out as an option, you will be using more elec yes but as well they are ready in 60-70 days and because its 24 hour light i can start the new plants a few weeks before the last lot gets chopped in the same tent you cant really do that with photos. I do understand photos if you look at everything are probably better but I do think as well people write of autos too quick.

Who 'waters' now? We have pumps, blumats, solenoid valves, gravity feeds, coco coir pellets, timers, danish/medusa trays, reservoir heaters and circulation pumps and finally airstones. Take your pick. 

My last grow was finished in 65 days and the new system means I did absolutely nothing. No watering, no pruning, just open the grow and check everything was good (which it was). I added an hour of dark at the last 2 weeks (11/13), saving 14hrs of lighting in electric. 

On a side note, that particular plant reeked of cracked pepper, which after some research is the terpene "Caryophyllene", as seen in peppercorns. Interestingly, this is the only terpene that is also a cannabinoid. It binds to our CB2 receptors (the ones outside the brain). Caryophyllene is known to ease anxiety, depression, and heal old bones. My point is, I have this particular freak as bonsai mum on 16/8 hours lighting, and I'll have no trouble reproducing this exact plant and exact same Caryophyllene smell/effect as the original, for free in perpetuity.

Can't do that with autos. :yep:

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, badbillybob said:

yeah right, i dont believe any breeders claims, havnt for years.

lets face it if they test 50 plants and one hits 29% and all the rest are around 20, which figure will they use?

This was my expirience with autos 1 in 20 plants will be mint ,go slap some sense into him and give him some cuts lol

Tho i smoked some decent fast flowering(what ever that is) speedy chily or chile , my mate grew few and it was nice fruity kinda blueberish flave.

1 hour ago, oldleafybeard1 said:

Your not wrong about the prices though £55 for 3 seeds... is the the same as Mephisto where that is actually a 5 pack? Im probably just gonna got full a 10pk of wedding cake next from Mephisto cause thats 15 seeds and I think 5 freebies as well so it makes it better value all things considered. I do love the Mephisto freebies as well ive had some great plants from just them alone.

Yeah they're not cheap, but from what I've been told they're sometimes even better than Mephisto, I suppose if you can (almost) guarantee a few zips of top shelf bud then paying nearly a score could be seen as justified.  

Dutch passion Auto euforia or seedstockers white widow in my hugely limited experience 

@badbillybob     Hey mucker , hope alls well with you 👍

Auto wise is one seeking potency , yield terps ?  

The 3 hardest hitting autos from what i have ran to date would be  -  in no specific order -

Sweets Auto  Black Cream   ,    DP auto Euforia  ,  SS  auto Sticky Fingerz.   

All can and did hold their own easily against fems i grew beside them.

SS auto Triton Biscotti Lime  -  only ran it in last years miserable weather but she def has some big potential ,  terps in bucket loads and gets good reviews from the fellow old gits.  

Paniks auto Mazar was fairly pokey but the others have it hands down on terps.

Brocks fasts / semis gotta be worth a shout as his work is class.   

@growinggold Highly rates the Mephisto ,   i have a few but not tackled them yet so cant comment.

DP auto Forbidden cherry came up very nice in the wet for the fellow old gits and their SkyWalker Haze looks half decent. 

Sweets Cream Mandy when well cooked holds its own with a lot of fems i have done.   

Hope this helps mucker.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, oldleafybeard1 said:

£55 for 3 seeds... 

Jeesus how?

why?

4 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Jeesus how?

why?

You usually get 5 in the Mephisto 3 packs and they are generous with extra seeds. I broke it down and it definatly works out cheaper than say fast buds where you get no free seeds and a 1 pack means 1. I dont know if its the same with night owl but the strain names and descriptions you can see they are like colabs and select strains from Mephisto so im assuming its similar. As mindsoup says if you paying for 4-6oz auto £50 is cheap.

I see your points as well they are valid I could maybe see about upgrading my setup some day for automatic watering but it means buying a whole load of stuff when ive tried to keep my hobby to a minimum, I set up like this for 2 reasons cheap set up cost and I feel less prone to a big mistake which ruins everything. A lot of people kinda shoot down my concerns about light leaks and extra timers and things in my set up I have it my way cause its just how it works for me and for me the Mephisto autos are stronger better tasting weed than anything I can get local so for me I wouldnt want to mess too much with whats been working out pretty well so far.

That being said it is food for thought and automated watering and photos may become a more sensible way to go forwards one day, but its hard to think that way now because of the stage im at in my growing life, I could do with new fans, better water quality meters, more pots, more nets there is always a way to improve on what you are doing currently. Also even buying seeds and strain hunting can be a mine field in itself, I will want to try the Collidol silver method to get free seeds from the Mephistos one day but again thats just a bit far advanced from where I currently am in my growing learning/life.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, badbillybob said:

right i should have added some more information.

hes growing autos because he grows in a shed and to grow photos, with the price of electric its going to cost him more to grow photos by a long way.

It would cost more interesting I would think the electric versus all the benefits would be negligible in my opinion have a word definitely if he is a friend.peace Goohfy.