Why are Brits so opposed to cannabis

Simple Jack

33 minutes ago, Shogun said:

All that's been tried, tested and failed many times over the years. The people you want to hassle and protest make way more money from cannabis being illegal than they would from legalisation. They have shares in gw pharmaceuticals, pharmaceutical companies, rehab clinics, drug testing companies, the prison industry etc etc etc. The system is set up to profit from cannabis being illegal and it profits the people in power. 

Would you really put your name on a government list for a licence grow your own?? I wouldn't, no chance. Fuck them and thier laws, I'm doing what I've done for years legal or not.

i have spoken to many people who over the years have campaigned, petitioned and marched i have held TWO cannabis picnics i don't want to give up i know the Tories DON'T want it nor does Labour under Keir i found the BIGGEST problem is everyone wants different things i would like a legal GYO ( through a licence ) others don't some want shops other's don't until we can ALL agree what we want it's going no where. I would like to go to the shops and buy what i want like other country's have done we do need another PUSH even if it means an advert in the national papers i think if it came to a public vote and they can see have it would benefit the uk it WOULD pass. HOPEFULLY 

• Like 2

@phenomi love your enthusiasm mate. And of course there would be nothing better than popping into the local dispensary after work for some lovely import hash or top shelf edibles but I need to be realistic. There are members on this board who did everything you say back in the 70s. Thier hopes were up, they thought it was going to be legal back then. 50 years later nothings changed, infact in some ways it's worse, road side drug tests, work place drug tests etc. When it comes to legalisation in the UK money talks. I don't think anything will change here until America goes full legal, meaning banks, hedge funds, corporate business investors etc all profiting. Even then I don't think it will work in our favour. I don't believe we will ever be told it's ok to home grow weed in the UK. 

Keep fighting the fight though dude. Much respect 🤠

• Like 4

It's defo got worse, if the cops caught you chonging in a car park in the ~90s they'd just take the hash and let you on your way, now you get your gaff turned over, lose your license and all sorts!

My old man took me and a lump of hash he found in my pocket  to the police station (prick)

(I was obviously minding it for someone, it wasn't  even mine, you know the one  lol )

in the early 90s and they didn't give a fuk about it, they just took it and that was it, and that was only cos the fukka gave it to them, I was wounded  lol 

But yeh, 30 plus years later.... Shit innit!

The offensive smell of it goes a long way in the uk to it not being accepted more readily, we're still a pretty uptight country in the most part.

if it wasn't so offensive it would be more widely accepted by now I think, you know that face non smokers make when they smell weed, there's still a lot of those types  about see. 

Not everyone turns into the Bisto kid like we do  when we  smell weed out and about, unfortunately. lol

• Like 6

14 hours ago, HazyDaze said:

It's defo got worse, if the cops caught you chonging in a car park in the ~90s they'd just take the hash and let you on your way, now you get your gaff turned over, lose your license and all sorts!

My old man took me and a lump of hash he found in my pocket  to the police station (prick)

(I was obviously minding it for someone, it wasn't  even mine, you know the one  lol )

in the early 90s and they didn't give a fuk about it, they just took it and that was it, and that was only cos the fukka gave it to them, I was wounded  lol 

But yeh, 30 plus years later.... Shit innit!

The offensive smell of it goes a long way in the uk to it not being accepted more readily, we're still a pretty uptight country in the most part.

if it wasn't so offensive it would be more widely accepted by now I think, you know that face non smokers make when they smell weed, there's still a lot of those types  about see. 

Not everyone turns into the Bisto kid like we do  when we  smell weed out and about, unfortunately. lol

Think that's one of the biggest problems, the smell.

It's the same with smoking cigarettes, BBQS, Vaping ( the big clouds, the smell). 

We as a society have been "trained" to dislike anything which has an "offensive" smell, is seen as bad and not acceptable to society.

14 hours ago, HazyDaze said:

I can understand some people not liking the smell of weed but if you've got a problem with the smell of some charas or some lovely sieved Marrocon then surely there is something wrong with you?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, KC said:

I can understand some people not liking the smell of weed but if you've got a problem with the smell of some charas or some lovely sieved Marrocon then surely there is something wrong with you?

It can't be as bad as standing behind someone who had a skin full and a kebab the night before 

• Haha 2

I was raised in the 80s beside a big railway station and a papermill. I've still got a cough from all the diesel fumes and cigar smoke, I can still taste the creosote that lingered around in the air. On sunny days the stench of rotten paper pulp that had been pumped into the sea would stink the whole town out (still does and the old mill has been closed for 20 years). Weed smoke smells like pot puri to me.

• Like 3

Most of the British coastline stinks of shit at low tide (as do many of the rivers) because the water companies keep dumping raw sewage instead of treating it like they're supposed to, but cannabis smells :rolleyes:

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 1

The vagaries of the microclimate in Chester always used to amuse me, in summer the prevailing winds etc always meant that the stink from the sewage works and the landfill site always used to accumulate over the poshest and most expensive part of town, Westminster/Curzon Park :D Your house may have cost millions but you can't open your windows on a hot summer's day :nenenenene: lol

1 hour ago, Brysee said:

It can't be as bad as standing behind someone who had a skin full and a kebab the night before 

That is so very true! 

That's very true about the continued dumping of human waste in our rivers and seas.

The same goes for those businesses that are constantly pumping toxic gases into the atmosphere.

There needs to be a sort of experiment done, where a area full of pubs/clubs and takeaways are full with drunks, fighting, vomiting etc in the experiment and the costs involved with the policing, NHS, cleaning up post Friday/Saturday night.

Then do the same experiment but without alcohol, but just weed being used and then compare the costs for policing the area and the clean up.

Bet if everyone's council tax came down due to weed smoking, there would then be a big push to make it legal.

• Like 3

On 28/03/2024 at 12:26, fidelandche said:

There needs to be a sort of experiment done, where a area full of pubs/clubs and takeaways are full with drunks, fighting, vomiting etc in the experiment and the costs involved with the policing, NHS, cleaning up post Friday/Saturday night.

iirc when either the World Cup or Euros was played in Holland and Belgium, there was trouble at every England game except Amsterdam. The mayor

commented that he thought England fans had made use of their relaxed drug laws 🤣

• Like 1

I may very well have my tinfoil hat on for this one. But I firmly belive Theresa may is behind it. It was she who was the force behind the move to reclassify the first time that it went from class C to class B. And she was part of the second push more recently. I have heard that she has or had a relative who got psychosis (was not just weed) and now she has a personal campaign we won't see change till she is fully gone.

Edited by Isoterrapine
Spelling

Dunno about her relative but Theresa May has clearly got psychosis - shit, she even thought she was capable of running the country, she needs serious psychiatric help (as do the people who actually let her do it).

• Haha 4