Why are Brits so opposed to cannabis

Simple Jack

On 23/01/2024 at 14:39, j.o.i.n.t said:

Volteface is a PR outfit with a 'disruption' methodology, who's mission is - to me, at least - not exactly what you'd call user centric (that's us). They state quite clearly they are about the interests of the 'cannabis industry'. Their funding model is not donations, as it used to be, but industry sponsorship.

Whilst I share your sentiments about the "industry" and it's ultimate objectives, I feel that the situation in UK is retarded enough to warrant a temporary alliance.

The level of debate in UK is whether children with life threatening conditions should receive public funding for CBMP's . Government says no.

If it ever gets to the point where meaningful reform is on the table, then "the industry" can go fuck itself. Paradoxically, this might mean allying with conservatives who see non market solutions as the lesser of two evils. Functional decriminalisation may not be perfect, but the industry has no scruples in using prohibitionist tropes to argue against it.

Developments in the EU are encouraging. Malta, Luxemburg, and soon Czech Republic and German are adopting non market forms of legalisation; much to the great dismay of industry cheerleaders.

• Like 4

@Simple Jack Think of the children, indeed.

Manipulating people in this manner, treating folk's minds as something to be moulded and herded towards a goal that is not made clear is...well, common. How's that seem to be going to you? In the winder sense? Many may not be able to put a finger on it, but the proliferation of these methodologies, to me, aren't doing us much good. It's leading to doubt, dismay and denial-ism in basically all the things - it's a cunt's trick. Not used by those with 'for the public good' mindset, but those with a succeed at all costs one.

In terms of getting into bed with commercial interests. Children's services (homes)? How's that go with PPE over the pandemic? Test and trace? How's it gone for healthcare? Venture capitalist owned old folks homes? etc.

Not great. We - our most 'vulnerable',  our money, our jobs and security and more - have been failed with all that.

The lens we view these problems, and the depths we'll plumb to get there, matter.

Edited by j.o.i.n.t

• 4 weeks later...

While people read shite like the daily fail express tne times and the sun.

Things are never going to change.

• Like 2

None of the above. I think this is based on the class system. Get posh cunts imbibing the green and viola, instant cred for classy folk. Done.

• Like 1

Plenty of push hunts as you call them like the green.

Infact it that lot who get a the ok from the Gov to grow it legal.

Ie tis not what ya know but who ya know and who you donate money too.

Tories.Tis ok for them  and their backers to grow it .

Yet anyone else its the killer dreaded skunk.

The same old reefer madness just with a new name.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

For me with the conversations I've had around the use of Cannabis is that it's seen as a "gateway" drug! Which I dispute very strongly.

One guy, he was very anti cannabis and felt that if his daughter even tried it once, she would soon be using Heroin!

When I tried to explain, that you can get Cannabis from someone who "only" has it, there is little chance of using harder drugs .

But mentioned alcohol and the major risks to health and becoming dependent on it! Well then he just, blanked out! 

• Like 6

Booze was my 'gateway' to most of the drugs I took in my youth (particularly the bad ones like crack and smack), I was drunk when I first did them and had I not been drunk I probably wouldn't have. The only way cannabis was a 'gateway' (apart from having to buy it from people who dealt other stuff - entirely the fault of prohibition) was because after I discovered that I'd been lied to by authority about the 'dangers of cannabis' for my entire life it made me think that they were probably lying about the dangers of the other drugs too, again entirely the fault of prohibition and anti-drug propaganda. The 'gateway' theory of cannabis has been so thouroughly debunked that anyone still parroting it should be ridiculed until they slink away in shame, the only reason people who use other drugs used cannabis first is because it was the first drug they encountered, they would have used the other drugs regardless.

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 7

It's also down to "our" unconscious bias, which I feel is what is behind the anti - cannabis.

It's the same with the Daily Mail, it feeds into the general public's unconscious bias which in turn keeps "us" in line with what the government and other powers want us to do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fidelandche said:

But mentioned alcohol and the major risks to health and becoming dependent on it! Well then he just, blanked out! 

🙄 Like they fucking do! FFS!

I think they're just programmed by the govt., mate.

Fucking excellent point, about how ye can get weed from a bloke. Ask him for smack and he's likely to look at ye like ye've just sprouted two heads!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fidelandche said:

It's also down to "our" unconscious bias, which I feel is what is behind the anti - cannabis.

It's the same with the Daily Mail, it feeds into the general public's unconscious bias which in turn keeps "us" in line with what the government and other powers want us to do.

Hah! Posted before I'd found this! Spot On!!! 👍

• Like 1

We need to start making a noise about cannabis when was the last time we picketed parliament yes we have 420 BUT this isn't enough i am NOT the only one that thinks more needs to be done i speak to a few on X that have been campaigning over the years and they say LITTLE is being done to let people know 1, How cannabis can help bring better medicine. 2 Help raise billions in tax revenue if through doctor's we can get a licence to GYO gain brings in revenue BOTH would benefit the uk along with free up prisons, low crime rate, lets start to push BACK lets hassle our MPs and march to london    

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, phenom said:

We need to start making a noise about cannabis when was the last time we picketed parliament yes we have 420 BUT this isn't enough i am NOT the only one that thinks more needs to be done i speak to a few on X that have been campaigning over the years and they say LITTLE is being done to let people know 1, How cannabis can help bring better medicine. 2 Help raise billions in tax revenue if through doctor's we can get a licence to GYO gain brings in revenue BOTH would benefit the uk along with free up prisons, low crime rate, lets start to push BACK lets hassle our MPs and march to london    

All that's been tried, tested and failed many times over the years. The people you want to hassle and protest make way more money from cannabis being illegal than they would from legalisation. They have shares in gw pharmaceuticals, pharmaceutical companies, rehab clinics, drug testing companies, the prison industry etc etc etc. The system is set up to profit from cannabis being illegal and it profits the people in power. 

Would you really put your name on a government list for a licence grow your own?? I wouldn't, no chance. Fuck them and thier laws, I'm doing what I've done for years legal or not.

• Like 8

I think we've got as far as we're going, sadly (at least while the tories are in charge), this shitty situation where you can get 'prescription cannabis' as long as you can afford to go to a private dealer (sorry, doctor :rolleyes: ), regardless of need but fat chance of people who genuinely need it but can't afford to go private getting one on the NHS. The tories now also have shares in private clinics and the few companies with licenses to grow 'medical cannabis' (if they or their spouses don't own them outright) and that's what it's all about, making more money for them and their cronies. The rich can get cannabis if they want it now, just pay a private clinic, fuck everyone else.

• Like 5