Spider mites

M Pamplemousse

1 hour ago, M Pamplemousse said:

I was more after advice on best way to utilise the bugs - temp, humidity, duration etc. 

The colder you can make it the slower the mites will reproduce but may also slow down the predators.

I have learnt to blitz them as soon as you spot any sign - even spots on a few leaves now will get me reaching for the spray - im pretty much organic all the way otherwise but when it comes to spider mites there are unfortunately no non chemical routes to take imo.

• Like 2

Just now, highgrower said:

The colder you can make it the slower the mites will reproduce but may also slow down the predators.

I have learnt to blitz them as soon as you spot any sign - even spots on a few leaves now will get me reaching for the spray - im pretty much organic all the way otherwise but when it comes to spider mites there are unfortunately no non chemical routes to take imo.

Thanks. My future approach I think.

Cheers 

30 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

I thought it smelled of diesel and thinners.

:yinyang:

I got a heads up it stinks but 2 days after spraying I picked up mask I was using and it still bloody reeked, like horrible. Plus you have to mix entire content so am left with 4L of crap that I duno what to do with,it's hazardous lol

I also had thrips 2months back, didn't have them for ages,thing is winter became short here.

Just now, Herbal Kint said:

Plus you have to mix entire content so am left with 4L of crap that I duno what to do with,it's hazardous lol

I think that's swervy marketing in order to make a few extra quid, ive always used the stated ratio at lesser volumes and its been fine, just store it in the dark with minimal temp fluctuations.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

For those wondering where they come from, since switching to coco, I’ve had no bugs. Either I’m cleaner or luckier than before or something in most soils is harbouring their eggs. Coco by its very nature has been sterilised in the process.. 

• Like 1

I have had them in compost and coco - they just get blown in on the wind like flies and other insects.

5 hours ago, highgrower said:

SMC doesnt do much

Does more than predators ime anyway. Lot less hassle to use than neem as well. 

But yeah TBF the Dettol seems to work just as well, my main point was sprays over predators (unless in flower of course). 

• Like 1

Propylene glycol (PG) appears to be  a  miticide and it is often a major part of vape juice unless it's pure vegetable glycerin.. 1 part PG to 4 parts water, if anyone wants to try it. It has zero taste.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

There is no reason not to use SMC/Neam and Harkers at the same time - first do the Harkers spray and then the other to make it hard for any survivors from the chemical attack to eat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, catweazle1 said:

Propylene glycol (PG) appears to be  a  miticide and it is often a major part of vape juice unless it's pure vegetable glycerin.. 1 part PG to 4 parts water, if anyone wants to try it. It has zero taste.

I will bear that in mind and give it a test should i get mites as I have a litre bottle of it knocking about.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, highgrower said:

I will bear that in mind and give it a test should i get mites as I have a litre bottle of it knocking about.

I'm not growing at the moment for about another month, so I wouldn't know for months, but it's on my to-do list to test. Mould as well, but maybe not all types.

Edited by catweazle1

I wonder if you could use vapourised PG as a fog/smoke bomb type thing. Stick it in one of those electric aromatherapy oil burner doo dad's. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M Pamplemousse said:

I'm in Coco.....

Then I got lucky 

3 hours ago, MindSoup said:

I wonder if you could use vapourised PG as a fog/smoke bomb type thing. Stick it in one of those electric aromatherapy oil burner doo dad's. 

It’s used in smoke machines. You could fill ya tent in 2 seconds lol

Edited by Flamedodger
Grammar
  • Like 1