Spider mites

M Pamplemousse

Hi folks.

Somehow I have a spider mite infestation.

Based on info on this site I have the following arriving tomorrow:

Phytoseiulus persimilis

Amblyseius cucumeris

I have 9 small girls that I'm preparing to take cuts in 3 weeks to quickly flower, hoping to identify some keepers.

Currently in my 120 tent, under 315 CMH, temps running a bit low at 25c average, lights on 24/7. Humidity is low. Light feed at 1.2 ec, ph 5.8, once a day to run off.

Plants healthy bar the small damage caused by the mites.

So assuming I've ordered the correct bugs, any advice on how best to treat?

How long to clear typically.

And do I need to disinfect the groom?

Anything I need to do with the cuts once taken?

Any advice appreciated.

In 30 years first time I've been invaded by the Borg. Bit confused how this has happened as all.my own plants, new Coco every time, I'm reasonably careful (avoid groom if I've been gardening etc).

Thanks in advance 

Edited by M Pamplemousse

Are you in veg or flower? If your in veg sack off the bugs and get some spider mite control (SMC) I had an infestation recently, was in flower so had to use bugs, all they do is slow them down a bit, they won't get rid of them completely unfortunately. SMC stopped them dead in my veg tent, brilliant stuff, but you can't spray it on flowering plants. 

Bugs work well as a preventetive, I used slow release persimilis sachets this tum to keep them from getting a foot hold again. 

• Like 1

Smc is just a premium leaf wash, sbpi is a bit superior i reckon personally.

When the predators stop working and yer just about at the end of yer tether bite the bullet and get a bottle of Dr schimmel spider mite terminator.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

SMC doesnt do much its like neem and just coats the leaves with a waxy/oil which slows them down rather than killing them.

There are a few options when in veg - the dettol route which worked ok for me on a few tests - also harkers ivermectin is good - if plants are small then should be affordable as its quite expensive.

I would probally hit them with the harkers, give it a 3-4 days and hit them again and again after another 3-4 days - fine mist spray with about 1ml in a litre of water - spray every where on the plants and top of the compost. 

If you do get rid of them I would still do a precautionary spray just before 12/12 incase they are still about.

Also spray down everything tent/drobe wise with bleach/dettol when you do the plant sprays.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies folks. I can't like anyone on this site unfortunately.

Plants in veg as I plan to take cuts in a few weeks.

Bit disappointed that general consensus so far is the bugs don't work and Advice is chemicals.  

I'm not adverse to chemicals but would prefer to use less toxic means if possible.

I was more after advice on best way to utilise the bugs - temp, humidity, duration etc. 

Unless anyone has advice wrt this then I guess I will play it by ear and see how I get on.

And then no doubt have to go the chemical route as per the suggestions! Dr shimmel.or harkers.

Thanks again folks.

Harkers on order.

Will try bugs first. If no luck, I'll nuke em.

Thanks again 

Schimmels work great,problem is it smells like paint and they say it's natural lol  I wouldn't put that stuff near flowering plants.

• Like 2

With the persimilis you need to keep rh at 65%+ it’s tough on the filter, but that’s the ideal environment for them to multiply, they will outbreed the spidermites….eventually. They did a good job on my last grow, but I didn’t really get them till they were in flower and Dragonfli dropped a clanger and I had 2 boxes worth hung up in there. Persimilis will persist on your buds even when you have dried them. They will carry on eating mites whilst it’s drying, so something to bear in mind. :yep:

Ive had a gut full of them and done so much research on their eradication and from that, it seems isopropyl alcohol is 100% effective on live mites and eggs, I have no idea if you can spray leaves with it, but something to consider when cleaning down after a grow.

All the best :smokin:

• Like 2

Took me 2 years to finally get my neem spray bang on, but only if vegging. I spray plants thoroughly before flowering, then hit them again 3 days later to catch any eggs. The secret is emulsifying the oil with water by shaking vigorously for 5 mins with horticultural soap. 

cloning is also a good way to kill them, as 80%+ humidity for 2 weeks wipes them out, so at least the clones are safe. :yep: 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Herbal Kint said:

paint

I thought it smelled of diesel and thinners.

Ah. High humidity will be a problem for me. I can get there with mature plants but mine are smallish. Humidity much lower than that at moment.

I'm growing these to clone so if all else fails I can clone in partycups, keep humidity up and cleanse the room.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Hopefully I can sort this. Still confused how I got infected at this time of year. But it is what it is ......

Cheers guys

Just now, M Pamplemousse said:

Still confused how I got infected at this time of year.

Its still unseasonably mild , pets are often a vector of contagion at this time of year, anything youve brought indoors for overwintering too, heck Bamboo canes are proper bad for harbouring mites.

• Like 1

Just now, BilgePump said:

Its still unseasonably mild , pets are often a vector of contagion at this time of year, anything youve brought indoors for overwintering too, heck Bamboo canes are proper bad for harbouring mites.

I have no pets, nothing brought in close to loft groom. But I take your point, esp mildness of this winter so far. Going to be bad for ticks next year I suspect....

• Like 1

Just now, M Pamplemousse said:

bad for ticks next year I suspect....

Every year is a bad year for ticks if yer me lol

Symptom of being arse up , face down in undergrowth looking for food ...

• Like 1