Grow Shed '24

Rennie_99

On 20/02/2024 at 09:07, inceywinceyspider said:

1200w led is probably really 120w and a bit crap.

Anyway it's a lovely tidy build, I'm looking forward to seeing you growing in it.

Unsure on that one mate, being a sparky it's always a rough estimate of whatever wattage your halogen, fluorescent, hps, the LED equivalent is 50% less. It's the lumen and kelvin output that's best to check 👍

On 23/02/2024 at 09:15, inceywinceyspider said:

Are they air cooled light shades then?

If so you have to push through them as the fan will die from the heat if you suck. Also it's just best to connect the fan and filter directly together to ensure that there are no leaks.

Some people use a separate fan for the air cooled shades as can duct it to lung room etc then.

I'm a bit unsure about the sound of your filter being so cheap, probably a good idea to have some funds available for a new one, mountain air are ok.

Yeah. I modded one to make it aircooled. Just need to get a perspex sheet to attach to the underside of the hood to seal it. Iv'e been rigging it up today and it goes Filter - Fan - Light 1 - Light 2 - Silencer - Exit. Filter is 6in, i use 8" to 6" reducers either side of the fan as its 8", then it's 6" duct through to the end. The vacuum is no longer strong enough to hold the door shut but it was pulling some of the silver paper off the wall. 

@Rennie_99

I'm not sure that perspex wont melt, soften etc, normally to bend perspex you use a thing like a cooker grill to heat it up and it goes floppy. All the ac hoods I've seen use glass.

Using an 8 inch fan on a 6 inch filter is also a bit dodgy as the air will move too fast to be filtered properly and the restriction on the fan will wear it out quicker. A speed controller may sort this problem until the summer or may not.

The level of negative pressure you're describing is too much, it indicates the need for either a huge passive intake hole, maybe half the size of a door or more or you need an intake fan which should probably be a 6 inch fan, also speed controlled.

If you have ac fans you can get a variac for about £50 and plug both fans in as long as the intake is smaller than the outtake you'll have the right kind of negative pressure.

12 hours ago, inceywinceyspider said:

@Rennie_99

I'm not sure that perspex wont melt, soften etc, normally to bend perspex you use a thing like a cooker grill to heat it up and it goes floppy. All the ac hoods I've seen use glass.

Using an 8 inch fan on a 6 inch filter is also a bit dodgy as the air will move too fast to be filtered properly and the restriction on the fan will wear it out quicker. A speed controller may sort this problem until the summer or may not.

The level of negative pressure you're describing is too much, it indicates the need for either a huge passive intake hole, maybe half the size of a door or more or you need an intake fan which should probably be a 6 inch fan, also speed controlled.

If you have ac fans you can get a variac for about £50 and plug both fans in as long as the intake is smaller than the outtake you'll have the right kind of negative pressure.

If my room gets hot enough to melt perspex then i've got much bigger problems than than a lamp shade lol. I'll just keep an eye out of mrkplace and see what comes up first/cheapest. 

Yes, i have it on a speed controller so that's not a problem. Unfortunately it's the opposite, i don't have enough negative pressure. I have a 6" intake fan but not on controller at the moment, playing with a slide cover on the intake allows me to adjust the negative pressure. As you slide it back and forth you can see the slide door pop in and out of it's position. Just enough that it keeps the door shut seems about right.

• Like 1

Few more pics of the progress. Nearly ready to go now. Just need to put a waterproof floor down and get some oscillating fans.

large_20.jpg.3f7a4104744b929b544eb911d2d23c65.jpg

large_21.jpg.4408bcabc5820021f3e9139b591291c3.jpg

large_22.jpg.a474133590c83b289ce8b6bb426db746.jpg

large_23.jpg.7d67cd6d0a2e039b94100db37012df97.jpg

• Like 2

Been doing some reading up on using coco as someone mentioned earlier in the post. From what i understand it comes down to the watering and getting your nutrient mixes right. Easier to fuck up but easier to fix the fuck up. As you have to water regularly to stop the coco drying out it seems these auto pot watering systems are the way to go. As always this stuff isn't cheap and i was wondering how hard could it be to knock up a cheap diy version, has anyone done a thread on it here that i can have a read of? Also, are there any classic beginner mistakes that inexperienced coco growers make that i should avoid?

Have found a video of a simple and cheap system. Comprises of  watering rings, pipes/connectors/taps, reservoir, pump and a smart extension/socket. Will just need a little trial and error once setup to figure out how much time the pump needs to be on to water the correct amount. However, i do quit like the idea of no electric with the autopot system, anyone have any experience with them? 

Doing some searching on ebay, all the bits for the above system comes to £120 for 9 pot. Equivalent Autopot system is about £400.

Next thing is nutrients... i've got quite a bit of Dutch pro veg and flower left that i used to use with soil but probably not appropriate for coco. Is there any particular go to's or is it all down to ££ and personal preferance?

Shogun is popular these days, it's where I'm going after my Canna Coco nutes run out.

Nice shed room btw! Inspiring.

• Like 1

I use autopots. I am on my 4th round with them and I have had no problems with them so far.  I use the 20L fabric pots with perlite and vermiculite. They are working well for me.

• Like 1