Grow Shed '24

Rennie_99

Hi guys. Not been on here for some time, i'm usually in the guerilla growing section but having not grown indoors for 6yrs i've decided to have another bash and thought i'd document the progress. Have got an unused brick outbuilding that i'm converting. I've gone for a room within a room leaving a metre wide walkway/prep area. A slide door will give access to the grow room which is approximately 2mx2mx2m. I've made a timber frame and in the process of insulating the floor, walls and ceiling and then lining the room with 12mm osb board. Here's some pics so far...

*won't let me attach pics!?

In terms of lighting i have a 630w Lumatek MH and a 600w Lumii HPS which i used individually in my old tent. I'm thinking both together should be about right to cover the size area i've got. I've lost my old fan so will need a new one, not sure what kind of levels of extraction i'd be wanting, any advice welcome. I've only ever done soil grows so was going to keep it simple and start off with that although i would be interested to get into hydroponics as i understand it, it's harder to master but you can get stronger and higher yields with hydro? I was thinking 6-9 plants should fill this size area pretty well. I'll set up a big water tank in my prep area with pumps/hoses so watering will be a simple process. Progress has currently stalled as i've run out of insulation/polystyrene and i refuse to pay the crazy b n q prices so am currently scouting marketplace for freebies lol. ps - what are the latest and greatest strains going? Last time i took any interest in indoor it was all about Stardawg.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/01/2024 at 02:36, Shumroom said:

Get a bag of coco and a Bluelab truncheon,

you won't regret it :thumsup:

You could probably do worse things than Subscribe and get some seeds off the list:

Current Free Seeds List For Subscribers

Atb

:yinyang:

I take it you're speaking from experience, what advantages did you find from using coco. From the brief look into i've had it seems to be more complicated when it comes to using additional ferts. When i've used soil before i've just used a 'all in one' type liquid fert, A for veg, B for flower and just ph. 

Currently looking into lining/paint at the mo. I was going to just paint white but having just watched some YT vids it seems silver mylar makes a pretty significant difference in comparison so will go with that if not to £££. Then it'll be climate and ventilation. What kind of power extraction will i be looking at with my room size/lights? My old RVK? RFK? was probably overkill as it used to try and implode the 1.5 x 1.5 tent on full beans. Probably about perfect for what ive got now but f**k knows where it is, think its long gone so need a new one. Iv'e got loads of oil rads which i'll probably use for heating.

• Like 1

large.5.jpg.8af6d740f3d0b7291a62307885618c7c.jpg

large.6.jpg.bd65638db8f3d2674a3b2d0d4a683665.jpg

large.7.jpg.9210f6319b1ffad5a3303a8e9631a419.jpg

Got to have some tunes on the go whilst working. Good sound test as well, i cranked it right up and couldn't hardly hear it outside with the doors all shut. Not that i'm planning any grow room parties but it's a decent indicator that i've insulated well. Installed 4 sockets and 2 strip lights.

• Like 5

Looking good i have just done a shed grow in more open space basically an outbuilding split in half with the roof just sitting on top so hard to insulate and temps getting quite low but even at sub optimal temps i think will have an ok result.

One question how do you plan to handle humidity? - i did struggle at times with water condensing on the ceiling and dripping down the half which didnt have the tent in as it was cooler - i even used a little bathroom extractor during summer/autumn to help reduce humidity as much as i could without drawing attention to the place - i have managed to avoid the dreaded rot but the amount of water the plants transpired really surprised me and i had not thought i would have that issue when i first setup.

10 minutes ago, highgrower said:

Looking good i have just done a shed grow in more open space basically an outbuilding split in half with the roof just sitting on top so hard to insulate and temps getting quite low but even at sub optimal temps i think will have an ok result.

One question how do you plan to handle humidity? - i did struggle at times with water condensing on the ceiling and dripping down the half which didnt have the tent in as it was cooler - i even used a little bathroom extractor during summer/autumn to help reduce humidity as much as i could without drawing attention to the place - i have managed to avoid the dreaded rot but the amount of water the plants transpired really surprised me and i had not thought i would have that issue when i first setup.

Good insulation and ventilation i guess. Never experienced that issue before.

Silver Mylar arrived yesterday. Bought some spray adhesive from Screwfix and its absolute dog shit. Used an entire can on just one length and it then peeled off with little effort. Anyone recommend a decent adhesive for applying mylar to osb board?

Hardly worth using mylar bud, just go flat white emulsion straight on to the osb...

Have a look at my shed build thread, it's a very similar size and shape to yours, works a treat...👍

On 19/01/2024 at 22:19, stu914 said:

Hardly worth using mylar bud, just go flat white emulsion straight on to the osb...

Have a look at my shed build thread, it's a very similar size and shape to yours, works a treat...👍

That was my original plan until a) i saw a youtube vid of a guy doing a number of different intensity tests and the silver diamond mylar was significantly better than the matt and gloss white and b) it's cheap as. I've found some old white emulsion so decided to paint anyway to seal. I think the spray glue may go a bit further/work better on paint. If not and i cant find a reasonable solution ill just stick with the white. 

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 22:19, stu914 said:

Just been having a read through your shed build. Looks good. I'm trying to work out whether i should take the plunge into hydroponics or just stick to what i know. Someone above mentioned using coco instead of soil. Can anyone point me towards a good video or thread that's kind of like an idiots guide, advantages and disadvantages etc.

• Like 1

Slide door in. No slide mechanism as of yet. Just pickup and put in the hole. Is a 1in thick ply. Will put some 50mm polystyrene on the backside of the door.

large.8.jpg.6ffedab7d217b8fe07c2ac40b29be04a.jpg

large.9.jpg.80442c5c024348135abc1936fde91f6f.jpg

large_10.jpg.b0bf91abcd560c8cd00fe73402b55f8c.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rennie_99 said:

take the plunge into hydroponics

I've never grown soil/compost or coco but have tried several hydro systems all of which have their drawbacks.

Been experimenting trying to deal with these and pretty happy with my grow system now.

Have a look at 'Mish-Mash and 'Gavie' you'll see how I'm growing and the results.

Your room's coming along very nicely...following...:yep:

• Like 1

The big disadvantage of coco growing compared with compost,

is having to fertigate more often.

This can be mitigated by installing an automatic feeding system :) 

Once rooted it’s virtually impossible to over water,

as coco once drained gives an ideal environment(air:water) for roots to flourish.

I used to grow in compost(for many years) and was sure that the quality would suffer if I changed to coco,

but I found this not to be the case ;) 

It’s easy to grow big plants in coco,

as veg time is less.

There’s nothing complicated about it either,

it’s a bit like ‘growing by numbers’ 💯

Atb

☯️

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all. A little update on the grow room. 

Room's lined with silver mylar now. Was a nightmare as there seems to be no suitable adhesive in existence so i had to get by with the screwfix spray glue and silver tape. Lights and extraction system in, just using a temporary inline fan i found for testing but need to get a more powerful one. I've connected the lights into the extraction system to keep the temps down. One of them has the air hood but the lumatek doesn't so iv'e modded it to have 6in duct run through. I'm going to attach a piece of perspex to the underside of reflector to seal it. What's the best order for the system. I've gone filter/lights/fan/sound reducer/out.... i'm not sure whether it would be better to have to the fan directly after the filter and push the air through the system? Another question i have, how to i determine the correct size intake hole for the system. Extract hole is 6inch. Volume of the room is approx 2mx2mx2m. Also recommendations on the fan size/power would be appreciated. No doubt there are formula's to work all this out but i just haven't had time to look into it properly yet. Pics to follow...

• Like 2