Grow Shed '24

Rennie_99

I fired up the lights the other day with the original bulbs(have been sat in a shed for 6yrs). Both worked although took a few moments to fire up. However, i went to test again last night and the Lumatek(larger of the two) made some funny noises and wouldnt come on. On the ballest it has 80/90/100%. I had it on 80%, the 80 led was flashing and the 100 led was solid. I immediately turned it off. Any ideas what the issue could be? I'm hoping it's just the bulb and hasn't caused any damage to the light/ballast.

Nearly there now, need some more fans to go in and i'm going to lay down a lino floor. Going to set up a large watering tub on the outside of the room with hoses going in with a simple tap for watering inside the room. I can add all the ferts and mix up in the main tub, will have it high up so it just uses gravity to feed. Still need to figure out the slide door method, nothing fancy. Above the room is insulated and heavily packed out with polystyrene.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2024 at 21:31, Rennie_99 said:

Anyone recommend a decent adhesive for applying mylar to osb board?

Maybe instead of adhesive a cheap staple gun from Home Bargains or somewhere similar?

• Like 1

Been doing some research on extraction and the general rule for cfm seems to be room volume x 2 or 3(depending on duct length). 

6 x 6.5 x 7.5 = 292.5ft

292.5 x 3 = 877.5 cfm (1513m3/h)

Hadn't realised it would be so high! That's more than the largest fan RVK do! Also thinking how much noise is a fan of this size going to make!?!? Perhaps i could use the smaller inline fan i'm currently using for testing as an active intake fan and reduce the size of the outtake fan? Anyone who's made a room of similar size has any advice would be much appreciated.

3 hours ago, Bram Toker said:

Maybe instead of adhesive a cheap staple gun from Home Bargains or somewhere similar?

It's done now. Adhesive is the way to do it, just need a good one.

• Like 1

From what I remember those formulas for extraction were more based on removing heat,

as opposed to how much air exchange the plants actually require :) 

My Bloom-room is roughly 1.2m x 1.4m x 2.3m and I use an 8" extraction fan which runs not much more than 30% so it's nice and quiet compared to running a 6" fan much faster.

I also have a 6" active intake but that's not essential for most,

it's just that my veg drobe connects to my Bloom-room with some 6" ducting,

so the slower I run the active intake the more air exchange I get through the drobe and vice versa.

Atb

☯️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shumroom said:

From what I remember those formulas for extraction were more based on removing heat,

as opposed to how much air exchange the plants actually require :) 

My Bloom-room is roughly 1.2m x 1.4m x 2.3m and I use an 8" extraction fan which runs not much more than 30% so it's nice and quiet compared to running a 6" fan much faster.

I also have a 6" active intake but that's not essential for most,

it's just that my veg drobe connects to my Bloom-room with some 6" ducting,

so the slower I run the active intake the more air exchange I get through the drobe and vice versa.

Atb

☯️

Ok that's a bit more encouraging. Yeah i could go 8inch, just open up the hole through the wall and use a reducer through the lighting, possible increase back up to 8 after lights for an 8in filter. I read somewhere its wise to get a higher rated filter than your fan. ie 300cfm fan = 400cfm filter etc.

• Like 2

Slide door done. Just a piece of hdpe screwed onto a bit of timber with a raised wall on the outside. Works really well. Have boxed in the extraction point so that it can exit the building through an open window. I've hinged the window on the bottom.

large_16.jpg.16ed2b4931621bf77124dfd8e00b654a.jpg

large_17.jpg.892c5609de1a2145117a8576b96f6f5c.jpg

large_18.jpg.ff282a2432924b1eafd13c2d3c6f0984.jpg

large_19.jpg.39295ae6c9b73c64d3b5a0d6ad06c8f8.jpg

• Like 2

looks the bollocks mate, i have just started using a small room that's fully insulated ceiling, walls and floor, and the heat from two leds is enough to keep it toasty, about 6m3, i'd be fucked using hps/chm in there, fans would be running overtime.

look forward to seeing your plants

• Like 1

Was just browsing marketplace for fans and filters and hadn't realised how much used hydroponics stuff there is on there. People practically giving it away. Found a brand new 1200w LED for £20. That's got to be better than a 400w HPS. Other than acoustic ducting, what other tips or tricks are there for reducing exhaust noise? I'm going to line the exhaust/window box with acoustic foam.

I wouldn’t touch 2nd hand gear 🚫

You don’t know who you’re buying from :police:

Atb

☯️

1200w led is probably really 120w and a bit crap.

Anyway it's a lovely tidy build, I'm looking forward to seeing you growing in it.

Managed to pick up a RVK200 and a Can In-Line Filter 600 for £50. The filters massive. Looking for some advice with regards to the flow order of all the equipment and what's best. From the rough set up in the pic above(just noticed it's mirrored) my plan was to go filter - light 1 - light 2 - fan - silencer - exit. My main concern is sound, not the actual fan but the sound of the air exiting the exhaust(window). Because of the position of the lights and the size of the silencer it would mean having quite a long run of ducting between the fan and lights as i would have to rotate the light and the run would be a snake rather than straight run if that makes sense(ill do some diagrams when i get time). The other option is to have the fan directly after the filter and have it 'push' the air through the lights and silencer out of the window. This would allow for a much shorter and direct run of ducting. Just for a quick test i rigged up the new fan with a couple of metres of duct and then put it up to the silencer/exhaust. Shut the slide door and then went outside to see what the flow/sound was like, you could hear air flowing but didn't sound like much. Having it exit into the window box first before exiting through the window reduces it i think. Only problem was with no intake cut yet the vacuum was so strong i struggled to get the door open lol.

Are they air cooled light shades then?

If so you have to push through them as the fan will die from the heat if you suck. Also it's just best to connect the fan and filter directly together to ensure that there are no leaks.

Some people use a separate fan for the air cooled shades as can duct it to lung room etc then.

I'm a bit unsure about the sound of your filter being so cheap, probably a good idea to have some funds available for a new one, mountain air are ok.

• Like 1