M10 x The Purest Indica

Cajafiesta

3 hours ago, Cajafiesta said:

Agreed.  It's sort of fascinating.  I wish I understood the "why" behind the plants expressing as both variants. 

I'm certainly not Uber informed, but I'm not aware of any other origin-location for cannabis where the "natural" ( or local, or landrace, or whatever the fuck you wanna call it) cannabis genetic stock expresses as BLD and NLD. 

You don't pop seeds from Thailand or Vietnam or East Africa that express as NLD and BLD from the same seed stock.   How/why did the Afghans end up that way?

What I'd be really curious about is the effect variance between the NLD and BLD plants.  Are the NLD plants still very "down" and stoney, or do they have effects that are commonly agreed to be "NLD?"  

Fascinating shit, really.  

Actually I heard that their was a Thai that had wide leaf. The northern light again had narrow leaf phenos. The Northern Lights was labelled based on leaf broadness so 1 more indica looking than 5 ect. Only the narrow leaf NL were considered interesting & the reason we don't have NL 20 x haze today. 

From my understanding of the high the difference between a indica & a sativa is that the trichcombes mature together faster. It hard to explain but fast flowering sativa will generally be higher in CBD than a fast indica because CBD converted into THC not the other way around. This is why sativas are more racy in effects & less couch lock. Anyway it's all very fascinating & I do like to see plant's at both extremes. I must admit I am a sucker for a good sativa over indica though but I still appreciate a good indica high at time's to :yinyang:

• Like 2

Small update of note--

The biggest, baddest one of these plants was potted into a 1 gallon pot, from a 3/4 gallon pot, on dec 29.  This morning (1-1-24), something like 50ish hours or so after the potup, this fucker has already pushed root tips out the bottom of the pot. 

Crazy!

It's starting to make 9 finger leaves, and will make 11 if its happy.  I think it would make 11 fingers now, if it had a pot that it didn't immediately fill out lol 

AKBB is also running these at the moment. 

His environment they're in ranges from a low of 50f to a high of 60f.  They're in a greenhouse in alaska.  So it's probably safe to assume that root temps are constant mid 50s F. 

I saw photos of his alaska greenhouse plants last night.  They look great and are making 11 fingered leaves.  Just some slight yellowing top growth, which I'd say is pretty damn good for a root zone thats sitting at 55f. His have just now been flipped to flower and are already making very respectable resin.  

He says his  stretched something like 1.5-2"  lol

These are the most squat, dwarf, big leaf bitches I have ever seen.  I'm enamored with this line so far.  

Yet to be determined, obviously, but I suspect these will be very potent and narcotic.  I kinda dont see how they couldn't be.  It would be awesome if these click in in the 7-8 week mark.  I think they have the potential to, for sure. IT would be AWESOME if they'll finish in 7 weeks.  

But, you know, it's never over and done with until you can smoke it for assessment. 

• Like 2

On 30/12/2023 at 6:24 PM, brock1 said:

Actually I heard that their was a Thai that had wide leaf. The northern light again had narrow leaf phenos. The Northern Lights was labelled based on leaf broadness so 1 more indica looking than 5 ect. Only the narrow leaf NL were considered interesting & the reason we don't have NL 20 x haze today. 

From my understanding of the high the difference between a indica & a sativa is that the trichcombes mature together faster. It hard to explain but fast flowering sativa will generally be higher in CBD than a fast indica because CBD converted into THC not the other way around. This is why sativas are more racy in effects & less couch lock. Anyway it's all very fascinating & I do like to see plant's at both extremes. I must admit I am a sucker for a good sativa over indica though but I still appreciate a good indica high at time's to :yinyang:

Out of the original seed there were 11 northern lights types and like you say number 1 being broad and 11 being thin, #5 was used to haze as the breeder said it was the best expression out of all the NL types.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dr feelgood said:

#5 was

5 is alleged to be Purest x A Hawaiian as I understand it?  I can’t say I’ve ever heard what the Hawaiian was, though. Presumably some Asian Sativa that ended up there, I guess? 

I have some NL9, I think, but I don’t know the story on it. The only info I see about 9 is that it’s Sagarmatha work?

On 30/12/2023 at 2:15 PM, Cajafiesta said:

Agreed.  It's sort of fascinating.  I wish I understood the "why" behind the plants expressing as both variants. 

I'm certainly not Uber informed, but I'm not aware of any other origin-location for cannabis where the "natural" ( or local, or landrace, or whatever the fuck you wanna call it) cannabis genetic stock expresses as BLD and NLD. 

You don't pop seeds from Thailand or Vietnam or East Africa that express as NLD and BLD from the same seed stock.   How/why did the Afghans end up that way?

What I'd be really curious about is the effect variance between the NLD and BLD plants.  Are the NLD plants still very "down" and stoney, or do they have effects that are commonly agreed to be "NLD?"  

Fascinating shit, really.  

Re. the Afghan thing, I assume it's just the geography of the place. Such a massive country that's so mountainous with loads of micro-climates from hot dry deserts to snow capped peaks. But they do seem to have a wide variety, for sure. Maybe the fact that the hash culture has existed for so long too, lots of travelling, trading and fine tuning of genetics.

• Like 3

Interesting stuff used to run some Afghan many years ago . Good luck and happy finding 

• Like 3

On 29/12/2023 at 10:44 PM, Cajafiesta said:

Right, so...

I've been attempting to grow this line for several months now.  Been derailed once or twice. Got broad mites, killed everything and started over, had water issues...yadda yadda yadda

Anyhyow, I wanted to stop in and post a couple photos of this, because it's REALLY caught my attention.

this is a cross from AKBeanBrains in the US.   M10 (SSSC Afghani 1) crossed to The Purest Indica ( mother of the Northern Lights line, sourced directly from Seattle Greg).

You could sort of conceptualize this as a backwards NL1, if you really wanted to.  

The vigor here is rocking my world.  Photos below

Root ball from an 8oz pot as of Dec 21 2023

large.IMG_1033.jpg

potted into a 3/4 gallon pot Dec 21 2023

large.IMG_1035.jpg

3/4 Gal root ball as of dec 29 2023

large.IMG_1139.jpg

potted into 1 gal dec 29 2023

large.IMG_1140.jpg

In 8 days this fucker turned a solid 8oz root ball into a solid 3/4 gallon root ball.  I'm thoroughly impressed.

I've never seen a plant, in person, that is this "afghan" in structure.  It's 2x as wide as it is tall and this one ( and the other I have at the moment) are gnarly vigorous. 

I discussed this line pretty extensively with AKBB and his takeaway was that the Purest dominated the cross.  I agree with that and, it would appear, the name is appropriate.

Most "indica" looking plant I've ever stood in front of in person. 

Very excited to see how these turn out.

Figured some of the BLD lovers on here would dig seeing it!

Take care!

What is the purist indica?peace Goohfy.

17 hours ago, Cajafiesta said:

Presumably some Asian Sativa that ended up there, I guess? 

I think it must be as cannabis is not indigenous to hawaii.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dr feelgood said:

I think it must be as cannabis is not indigenous to hawaii.  

It would be logical, if nothing else. Several Asian cultures (Korean and Japanese for certain) seem to have integrated there. They must have been there a while, as the Asian cultures’ food have been integrated into “Hawaiian food.” That’s always a sign of cultural influence, in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Goohfy said:

the purist indica?

As I understand it, it’s an Afghani line from Steve Murphy. Steve passed it to Seattle Greg and Purest Indica was used as the mother portion for all of the Northern Lights variants. 

Hawaii was a popular destination for US soldiers on leave during the Vietnam War, I believe they brought a lot of weed with them along with the seeds.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2023 at 2:31 PM, Cajafiesta said:

I've kept a "bubblegum mix pack" plant from FDM for two years now.  It's pretty hybrid in structure with a slight sativa leaning shape.  It's a little "viney."   Pretty hybrid-style effects.  Smells awesome.  Sometimes it's like a mix of bubblegum and artificial grape.  Sometimes its sorta like blueberry poptarts.  There's always this faint background of vomit whiffs that go in and out.   I call that plant BGX1 "bubblegum cross #1."

How does she do for you? And how long do you veg for? I've got a vomit smelling one on at the moment but she'll yield almost nothing - tiny calyxes stacked one on another. Her sister is jarred with a great bubblegum smell but also tiny.

Not sure how long I vegged, but it clearly wasn't long enough.

• Like 1

Just now, JockBudman said:

How does she do for you? And how long do you veg for? I've got a vomit smelling one on at the moment but she'll yield almost nothing - tiny calyxes stacked one on another. Her sister is jarred with a great bubblegum smell but also tiny.

Not sure how long I vegged, but it clearly wasn't long enough.

It’s been a cutting for a couple years now. So, technically, I suppose I veg it for years lol 

I’ve never really paid attention to yield. It’s not spectacular, but it makes “nug” sized buds.   I’ve found it to be fairly picky with respect to nutrients. Mine chews through the calcium 

• Like 1

@Cajafiesta tbh I'm not too bothered about yield either - apart from when I'm getting so little that it feels like a waste of soil and light :doh:

• Like 1

Three seasons for hybrids from open pollination in the wild. A mate saw it happen in Oxford at a legal field was DEFRA seeds lol and it didn’t get checked but they don’t exist now