Strawberry Gorilla Auto Diary.

GreenVision

6 hours ago, stu914 said:

I use cooker hood filter material made by Robert Dyas...

There's two sheets in the box one black one white, use both and the air is virtually unrestricted,

added bonus is it keeps light in/out...btw looking lush in there GV...:yep:

I'll have a look into that mate. The only idea I had ATM was buying a pre filter for the carbon filter and chopping it up. But I don't think it would block light and may not filter all dust etc.

• Like 1

If you google 'Robert Dyas Universal Cooker Hood Filter Material' it comes up costing just over a tenner, 

Plenty of other brands but this is the one I've used for years with no probs...:yep:

On 07/11/2023 at 2:59 PM, GreenVision said:

Just found it mate, I'd leave them at least another two if I were you, but thats just my 2p going on the pics you have there, if its ready its ready.

Looking nice though, they really did stretch some.

Cheers.

cheers budy just added some more pics feeling like i should leave longer they are still drinkinh 1.5l water a day

• Like 2

Day 37.... I think.

Plants are starting to look a little hungry. Will add a VERY small dose of PK and CalMag to their feed tomorrow morning plus I'll up their base feed to 75% the max recommended. I think the coco and perlite I added to the soil has done as expected. Or they're just greedy.

Been having a slight issue with humidity as well. Its a new grow area so still ironing out a few creases, may need product assistance with the humidity though, hoping to avoid putting humidifier up there TBH but if needs must. :rolleyes:

Overlall though these are screaming along. Lovely stong skunky aromas coming from them already, a little Herby Spicey almost Diesely ATM. Nothing like Strawberries anyway lol

large.20231116_110122.jpg.13eae88082aea7

large.20231116_110027.jpg.7f5662cff86ed1

large.20231116_110002.jpg.02ab2ed6964d78

large.20231116_105951.jpg.8cadb7b3786938

One thing they do have right now is a good solid yield potential. I'm not expecting a massive yield as Im in 11L pots and I think folks that grow huge autos usually go much larger on their pots, but for a few auto seeds thrown in a month back... Impressive on the size.

Whilst on that subject, they seemed to have stopped stretching now... THANK GOD. I was about an inch away from getting into that area of too close to the bulbs. But its nice knowing that these were basically left untrained, say for a little bend of the main stem, and they have left me some room to play with the CMH's. Good news for the LED's and future plans for a hydro system up here.

Still have two particular pheno's / geno's up there. Onc is really familiar of that "Golf Ball" bud structure, one nice dense top bud and a few golf ball sized ones lower down, the other type is more of a hazy type bud shape, a long tall pyamid cola with long leaf stems and larger leaves in general. But again overall not too bad considering they're autos and by my understanding autos aren't expected to give homogneous results being a untested 3 way cross.

Actually really am looking forward to trying these out. Been on the same clones for a while now so a welcome new flavour. And if they dont taste just like the strawberries in the pictures on the Fastbuds site.... I'm writing them a letter... And there will be swearing.  lol

Take it easy all.

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Day 48.

Just shy of week 7 here, how some folks think these are ready at week 8 is beyond me lol

Been having some imbalance issues, they feed much more than was originally thought, all I had was info on the net to go buy and every Auto guide said light feeders.... MY ARSE!... These are greedy little gits. Maybe calmed a little now, but when they are in that stage of going kaboom with growth they need lots of feed, especially Nitrogen by the looks of things.

I've managed to keep it under control somewhat by adding some Baby bio to the feed for a few waterings, its quite high in Nitrogen and easy on PK so it should add exasctly what was needed. They seemed to have leveled out somewhat but I do think they would have eaten themselves alive had I have stuck to the "Little bit of nutrient only" advice given by Fastbuds website.

Nice big cola's to show for all that eating tho...

large.20231127_085804.jpg.feccbe9628555f

large.20231127_085800.jpg.cb65e00b724a6f

large.20231127_085710.jpg.bff8b873dfff78

large.20231127_085629.jpg.db11fae44b733f

This plant is really distinct from the rest. Has some colour coming through now, different smell, different bud structure. Wouldn't know it was an auto really if I wasn't already aware.

large.20231127_085732.jpg.d512054a110989

Oddly enough it reminds me of the diesel aroma you get from some strains, maybe they used Strawberry Cough in the cross hence the name etc??

But overall still quite surprised at the way these are going, producing some serious yields by the looks of things for quite minimal effort, cant wait to see if the quality is there too.

Cheers.

• Like 9
  • 2 weeks later...

Day 56 today. So 8 weeks from seeing them pop out the soil.

The plants are looking pretty good, still feeding like beasts so the next feed will be thier last full on bloom feed before I start to ease off. I think some of these plants "Could" be taken at week 9, but for me the majority look like they will really benefit from another week, so at this point week 10 is my predicted harvest time, but if they need longer so be it.

the amazing thing about these is that some of them really honestly do smell like Strawberry. It has more of a zing, so more like a strawberry itself, I was expecting like a strawberry dessert or strawberry sweet smell, but the few that do smell like it really do smell like a strawberry. The others are similar but are either much more sweet or more like a cranberry / raspberry smell atm, more zingy / citrus berry.

If resin is anything to go by then these are looking like they should hold a fair punch too.

large.20231127_085804.jpg.bc09e0d19e020e

large.DSC_0004.jpg.b96bc06da98c12eaa9942

large.DSC_0008.jpg.426fef9024c732d3e7d38

large.DSC_0010.jpg.b1d0c55641b612d186d3f

large.DSC_0013.jpg.ec5251b7a3cccf7b67b5a

large.DSC_0015.jpg.3090405c6dc9250a21d15

large.DSC_0017.jpg.abd9820882ef67fa55a7e

large.DSC_0021.jpg.677bfdbb7a1600f9cdf59

large.DSC_0030.jpg.237477b086aa60d5ca422

large.DSC_0031.jpg.000ce4ce7725aefee8958

large.DSC_0034.jpg.91e62226c66f8b526c9fe

large.DSC_0036.jpg.95cbac8593973b562f370

large.DSC_0037.jpg.015f7c9b677b09dbcc040

The thing that has surprised me the most though is the yield. I'm used to the more "Golf Ball" buds you get on a lot of US strains these days, I haven't grown anything like these for quite some time, much more hybrid than my usual Indica dominant crops.

These are only in some 10 or 11 litre pots and they have just gone bang. I have been pushing the feed on them, and they have plenty of light, but I wasn't expecting them to get so big. Height there is one or two that maybe stand 130cm at most, but the buds / colas are huge. that makes me want to leave them as long as I can even more, I threw in a crop of Autos as I wanted to make sure I had enough bud to see me through as I'm getting some new gear and finishing of the groom etc before I start the next one. I've ended up with a small strawberry field in the loft lol

Seems like they're drinking a little less now, not sure on that but it feels like there is an extra day or two between waterings the last week, could be the cold but I think they are slowing down now so hopefully they start to ripen up very soon. I think its 9 weeks down this coming Tuesday, I'll get an update then or a day or two after when I'm up there watering, fingers crossed all those pistils have started to swell out and things are looking more mature.

Take it easy all.

• Like 9

Nice to see these take you by surprise and really go for it. Not bad going for a catch crop! 
Do you reduce the lights on time for the last few weeks of the grow? 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, stu914 said:

Top class as usual GV...:yep:

Plants doing it themselves mate, throw them a bit of water and thats about it. Really surprised by these. Cant judge until they're down and ready to smoke but for such a little input so far im well chuffed.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, yan said:

Nice to see these take you by surprise and really go for it. Not bad going for a catch crop! 
Do you reduce the lights on time for the last few weeks of the grow? 

Taa mate, really have shocked me how well their doing.

Yh the lights have been reduced to 18 hours from 20 hours, and I'll likely reduce them again in a week to 16 - 14 to the finish. I dont do autos much tbh, as said these were for me to have a xmas toke and take me into the new year  up to the next grow, I didn't have time for regs etc as I had one down about 2 months back, but did a little reading and it seems reducing the light does no harm to autos after week 8-9 in terms of yield so at the very least I can save a few quid on electricity.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, GreenVision said:

I'll likely reduce them again in a week to 16 - 14 to the finish.

I’m sure I read something that @brock1 posted somewhere saying that reducing to 12/12 for the last two weeks can really improve the quality. 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, yan said:

I’m sure I read something that @brock1 posted somewhere saying that reducing to 12/12 for the last two weeks can really improve the quality. 

Yes this will increase this potency. Their also a way to increase yeild in photo periods by doing the opposite & switching back to 18hr for the last 10 day's. However this is absolutely useless with auto's. :hippy:

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...