Breeder / seed bank decision advice

MrSparkl3s

Wondering if anyone can offer some advice on which breeders have ‘generally the best strains’ on offer. Or confirm that really doesn’t matter?

I’m about to try my hand again after a few semi successful attempts years back. Previously I would opt for the most heard of breeders (DP, BF, Dina’ etc…) and also try the freebies given. I had nice looking plants that yielded well but always weak as shit potency. 

granted that is most likely that I had temps to high late flower or a myriad of other reasons. But when searching the great disinformation web I see people claim the very expensive “BGS” and others that are usually 4x-5x the price of the main stream are better. I’ve also noticed BGS has smaller selection mostly c99 and Chemdog mixes.

So wondering if anyone can attest to them? Reading the blurb they seem to be honest about them not being S1 stable and having many sativa/indica phenos that might appear. Seems odd and can’t find a decent explanation for why they are so much more money. 

can anyone shed light? 

• Like 1

Get your sub on mate the best seeds are on the list and plenty of photos and grows so you will know what you getting

• Like 3

I think the best approach is to read diaries. Find something that multiple people have had good results with so you know more or less what results will be like before you start.

I used to buy off reputation of the breeders and i've had plenty of shite (although that's at least partly down to my lazy/haphazard growing too, i definitely messed up some good stuff).

Higher prices don't really equal higher quality from what i've read/seen. I think in general it reflects a breeders ability to market more than anything else.

Edited by Strawberry Fields
  • Like 2

Thanks for the advice both, I did get sorted out very nicely by DP in years past. This time I’ve got LED with uvb to try and get potency up. With Gluberry OG first on roster. 

was more wondering if the super expensive seeds actually had any reason for being expensive or is just marketing/vapourware. 

thanks lovely people 

• Like 1

Im guessinging we talking Bros Grimm seeds here ?      Have you used the search feature on here to find members grows & experiences ?

Sorry i cant offer any insight mate ,  but as suggested  -  Look at our very own current  " Seeds For Subscribers " ...... you will find the value hard to beat !!

You can speak with the chef and see others grows of said beans.      Most made with skill and love , ata a fraction of the posh prices and prob better end product :yep:

You pays your money ... you takes your choice :george:

Subbies for the win

• Like 7

Sub beans are the most cost effective deal going, in my opinion. 

We just ran some...errrrrr..one of the "dog" crosses.  Jack Dog, I believe.  I smoke a bunch of dope, so memory isn't the most clear on some details, cant recall who made them.  Badbillybob maybe?  

Anyhow, they're killer.  As are most subs I've ran. 

AKBeanBrains in Alaska, USA is another good option, although not nearly as cost effective as subs are.  He's decent and honest, very generous. 

Just ran his Lime Og x Williams Wonder and it's a killer.  Wake up with a half smoked joint laying in your lap sorta stuff. 

• Like 7

BGS = Brothers Grimm Seeds :yep:

The price of seeds is no guarantee on the quality :) 

As mentioned above,

subscribe to this site for £25 and pick one pack from the list and you’ll get a larger file size limit,

plus the ability to message multiple people at once,

this will last for one year.

http://www.uk420.com/boards/index.php?/store/category/1-subscribe-to-uk420com/

Or spend £100 and choose 7 packs of seeds,

plus this gives the same benefits as the annual subscription except it doesn’t expire :thumsup:

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 7

You can't possibly go wrong with a subscription, annual or lifetime.

Essentially you're paying over the odds for the same thing from larger seed-banks. 

• Like 5

I think it's a little bit like cars.  

Some people are die hard brand loyalists.  some people just want something that goes and stops and gets them to work.  Regardless of that disposition, modern cars are all fairly reliable, they will all go in excess of 100K miles easily and they're all relatively safe.

All weed seeds will make plants.  And nowadays, in reality, they're all gonna be fairly acceptable plants that get you high.  In my experience, you've really gotta start popping odd landraces if you're gonna get some weed that is flat out useless hay. 

So with that being the case, your selection pool is likely gonna fall into the area of " it's ok, not the best but it works" to " this shit is incredible."     You can take any two random plants from seed off the sub list, cross them, and you will get a majority of progeny that will get you high. Some may be better, some may be worse, but you're likely to get fucked up off all of them. 

The likelihood of ending up on the better side of that range really seems to be down to luck and the human that made them. There aren't a lot of PHD plant scientists breeding weed, so there's some luck and chance involved, no matter what.

That's why I like the subs and smaller seed sellers the most.  You can talk to the person that made the seeds and get more info. That's my rule of thumb.  If I can't email/message the breeder directly, I ain't buying them.  I don't care what hype train the seeds rode in on.  If the human that made them isn't accessible, I'm not buying. 

Whatever decision you make re seed sourcing will be a good enough one.  Just decide and get to popping beans. :yep:

• Like 4

I think historically the most expensive seeds have been a total pisstake aimed at people who think higher price automatically means better (and they then get talked up by the people who paid silly money for them to save face). Although I can't comment about BGS cos I don't know them I'd avoid anyone that seems to be charging a lot more than everyone else, I just don't see the justification for it when there are plenty of perfectly good seeds without paying silly money. I've always been happy with th autos I've grown from Sweet Seeds (but that's just my personal thing, I like their cream caramel and black cream cos they're the right kind of strain for my needs). As has been said I don't think you can go far wrong with subscription seeds here for the mony :)

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 7

Last I grown in bulk to get a mum was hella jelly, has like 30 plants all were good phenos ,found a great mum.  For more check my coco album, strain wont fail you if you grow it right.

Just my 2p

• Like 2

Wow I did not expect so many answers and advice. I forgot how much I loved this site. Thank you 

I am going to look into subbing right away, had no idea there were sub channels for seeds on this site also!? No idea how this works but will look into it now. I used to have an account when I grew in soil under name MrSparkles but unable to get back into that account.

Sorry for only using acronyms, there is a fairly large angry sounding disclaimer on the topic title about naming brands so wanted to avoid. Thank you for your amazing decryption efforts.

Herbal K - thanks, i have been told in the past that you need to find a good pheno regardless of the genetics and clone that wonder for all she’s worth. I’m microgrowing with sub 1m2 spaces so unable to grow 30x plants to find my pheno. If all marketing was true I could stick to clamped S1 stable but I think that’s mostly BS when advertised. - will check out you GD, I’ll be starting a diary in the next couple of weeks with my first attempt at DWC so any input/advice will be welcome 

boojam - I agree that was my main line of thinking always nice to hear others reinforce it 

cajafiesta - makes so much sense I’m really looking forward to seeing this seed sub area. Sounds amazing to out a face to the name so to speak. 

sachi - thanks I’ve gone with mostly Dutch Passion in the past so will definitely take a look.

Thanks all for your help. These sub seeds sound like the way to go. Of course you could be getting referral bonuses says the every growing scepticist within me :-)

• Like 3