This Years ... Noisy Offerings

OldFord

I have a little project  ,  a charity fund raising thingy and will kick it off in here ... as its got windows and its under glass lol   

Will tag a few in that have been following along on another post i didnt want to clog up ,  will tag folk shortly as this is just a place holder ,  update some pics shortly :yep:

@Shumroom   @Mugwuffin   @stu914   @Seasick Steve  @Arthur Mix  @Hashslag  @Idicanna jones  @Seedstockers-Mark @Celtic voyager  @Bad Apple  

Just a few off the top of the single cell guys lol

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 7

Right .... this is just a bit of fun :yes:

Empties a room that Mrs OF wanted emptying !!!

Will help raise money for charity .... as for a donation to charity it can come visit you & entertain :yes:

So lets get into this -  

Firstly it wont be kept at home !!!    Its been given free storage in a manned 24hr secure facility !   

Site Anonymity protocols complied with as i wont be operating it or bringing it to people & places :yep:   

So this is a project that started then stalled when the Trusty Tranny suffered terminal rot and was pronounced dead after years of torture lol  

Its a sound system in a van that can & will play music cleanly & pretty loudly ,  for a worthy charitable donation it can come visit you :george:

It also stops me getting shit from her in doors for having rooms & a loft full of audio and i gain brownie points :wub:

The van & system .... have come out my pocket money  lol     

Its using what we have laying about and will be under constant development & variations  due to ongoing upgrades :yep:

More than happy for pointers / constructive challenges and anything else ,  please dont chime in with ... you should have bought this or that ... my pension only stretches so far ... unless you wanna donate it :wub:

So less chat ... more pics :george:

Take 1 old but reasonably well looked after / presentable medium sized van  .... 1 owner , low miles , older model but seems decent , well spec'd with heated screen / mirrors , air con :yep:      

A hopefully reliable   Short Wheel Base  ...Nissan Interstar .... a Renault Master mk2 in drag lol   

large_046.JPGlarge_047.JPGlarge_048.JPGlarge_051.JPGlarge_052.JPG

Plenty big enough to squeeze the kit we have into it and have a smidge of space left for lows / mids / highs ....

after the Tapped Horn Subwoofer box fills the rear of the van !   

This season we are running on what we have for low / mid / high  ...

there will me a  Large Multiple Entry Horn speaker set up on each rear door next year so im using what i have this year :yep:

So one van later and it needs to look the part .... so it will be treated to some paint work once the system is in as less chance of damaging fresh paint work :yep:

I decided a freshly painted & smart  looking van  needs a nice identity ... so i got her a plate ...

large_040.PNG

So this is how we stand,  the vans at the workshop ,  give it a full service & health check ,   send it into the steel fabricators for some steel box section cage work to try tame the flex & keep the enclosure together ,,, hopefuly a little audio gain by not losing it to vibrations.  :yep:

I got more pics i need to sort out  ,  some of the kit im using and will update the pages as it happens.  

@growinggold   @MindSoup     @Cursed

Edited by OldFord
Spelling ...as usual !
  • Like 17

Intended kit list so far -  

I was going with 6 x  Precision Devices   PD2150 bass drivers  BUT it meant we needed an XL Long Wheel Based van and i cant store it and lots of places have height restrictions now and the XL LWB vans tend to be high top only !    Or mega rare in low top roofs.

So we have opted to run  - 

4  Precision Devices PD2150  bass drivers .

1  Tapped Horn bass enclosure made from 1"  Nordic Birch Plywood ,  sealed and gloss spray paint coated internally

1  Steel Box Section   120mm  x  40mm  x 3mm wall Cold Drawn steel box section frame around the 1" wood frame.  

16  x  10"  kicks        ,       8 x  6.5"  mids    ,       2 x 1.4" compression drivers and horn flares.  

Subs have  10k rms  power on tap    -  with box impedence rise they will most likely see 6k.      mids & highs have 5k rms on tap.   

Powering it all is  2 x  350 amp alternators  capable of 340 amp on idle ,  i wil have a switch to lift the idle speed.

Along with the alternators is 4 banks of 6 x 45ah  Lithium LTO cells .......

So we should be able to play all night & day and not need to dick about with gennys & power supplies.   Hopefully.  

I have so much kit !!     I will need to get pics of bits and do a proper audio line source chain so you can see the processing map of the audio signal.   :yep:

• Like 7

Source wise  -   to make it easier for people to utilise their own music via the van ... i wont be running a radio deck . 

The system will be fed from a   Mass Fidelity  Relay  ,  a so called  audiophile BlueTooth transmitter  ... it does translate the sound very very cleanly and nicely with a good bluetooth range. 

So a user can just hook bluetooth or a pair of phonos and your off.   

The Mass Fidelity Rekay is a  240v to 6v power lead ... so i will just add a 12v to 6v reducer and no mains required.     

The audio signal will then pass to an old skool / new stock    -   AudioControl  ESP2  image spatializer to assist widening the stereo image and fully adjustable from mild to wild. 

It will then o pass to an old skool  -  Rockford Fosgate  Symmetry EPX2 processor -  a 24 bit signal processor of olden days  ,  5 pairs of custom band passable / 28 band eq  / time delay and various other functions ,  2v / 4v / 5v  line out function to suit various amps needs at the one time.   

This should provide a very clean / fully adjustable & manipulatable signal of clean & healthy headroom and low THD.     All proven to take serious abuse too lol   

All the units are new old stock but will have them serviced to ensure reliability ,   spares will be carried and spare amps in place in the event of failures :george:

Spare srivers will be carried too ,  along with fully tool kit & soldering station onboard ....just for when shit happens lol  

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 7

Just now, Shumroom said:

Very nice to see the project taking off again :D 

Great number plate :thumsup:

Atb

:yinyang:

The Tartan Tarmac Ticklers  ... on the road again :yes:          The plate was a nice find mate :yep:

• Like 1

I thought I had a nice sound in my Mazda with a Bose system in it but your van is just going to be moving cars around using sound waves...:notworthy:

• Like 1

Love the number plate @OldFord and the van will sound like the dog's bollocks once finished. Happy you have started this project and are sharing your skills with us mere mortals here.

Best of luck with the new project and raising money for charity :)

• Like 2

Just now, Arbre Medicinal said:

I thought I had a nice sound in my Mazda with a Bose system in it but your van is just going to be moving cars around using sound waves...:notworthy:

Thats the plan mate lol        Thanks

Its not strictly a basser mate ,   if it was i would have filled it with 15's or 18's in a 6th order and play low teens Hz wise all day  but its not about that :yep:

Just a loud clean system that can play bass freq nice / flat warm from 25hz to !75Hz ,  within a 3 DB ripple ...so it will sound pretty even on the ears across the bandwidth :yep:

Theres a lot of maths went into this project  , a host of skill and knowledge ,  just hoping we raise some decent charity  money off the back of it  .... if not i got a nice audio toy all for me lol 

• Like 6

Just now, OldFord said:

Thats the plan mate lol        Thanks

Its not strictly a basser mate ,   if it was i would have filled it with 15's or 18's in a 6th order and play low teens Hz wise all day  but its not about that :yep:

Just a loud clean system that can play bass freq nice / flat warm from 25hz to !75Hz ,  within a 3 DB ripple ...so it will sound pretty even on the ears across the bandwidth :yep:

Theres a lot of maths went into this project  , a host of skill and knowledge ,  just hoping we raise some decent charity  money off the back of it  .... if not i got a nice audio toy all for me lol 

I'd be off to festivals in it lol 

• Like 3

Just now, Bad Apple said:

Love the number plate @OldFord and the van will sound like the dog's bollocks once finished. Happy you have started this project and are sharing your skills with us mere mortals here.

Best of luck with the new project and raising money for charity :)

Cheers man , much appreciated :yep:   

Theres a special talented man behind the design side of things,  i cant / wont name hm yet as not got permission but it will all come out soon enough on here :yep:

• Like 2

Just now, Arbre Medicinal said:

I'd be off to festivals in it lol 

Will be used for numerous things mate,  charity at heart & foremost :yep:     My toy to go to various car shows & meets also as & when i can. 

Im sure my bruv will be abusing at a numerous events ....thats what its built for :yes:      If it breaks ... it gets fixed !!

Thats why  the Bass Line will be firing out the back doors ..... so i dont need to brace the screen and replace it every outing :george:

• Like 5

Just now, Shumroom said:

I’ll need to work out some dates with you for coming up to Scotland with it :punk:

Atb

The last time we did the big Scottish boy racer show ... we got 2 songs in and security shut us down mate ,   im still game though .... just use the charity angle lol  

Happy to bring her anywhere & beat the shit outta her .... all for a charitable donation :george:       

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OldFord said:

just use the charity angle lol

This was exactly what I was thinking lol

It’s not a rave officer,

it’s a cancer awareness and money raising event :headbang:

Atb

• Like 2