Crow River

It's been over a month since the last update. The Danish Gold are still alive, they have grown too, but maybe a bit slowly. This is no doubt temperature related, as they don't get any additional heat, and until last week I even had the window open right next to them, so they were probably a bit chilly at night. Indeed the two plants nearest the window do show some signs of cold. Sunshine's been a bit scarce until recently too. 

As a result of slow growth, they're not very big and none have reached five true nodes yet. That's fine by me to be honest, I've been so busy with other things I'm jut happy they're still here and growing. Here they are anyway, three fairly normal plus a wee runt of a plant. When they eventually get big enough, I'll top and root the tops as clones, which will then be flowered. That's when this wee project will "hot up" and move to the tent, which is currently full of ripening pollinated plants from a side project...

large.IMG_20231106_030309.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The tallest of the Danish Gold plants (DG4) is now sporting a couple of balls at the main top. Although root restriction may be a factor, it's probably about right timing wise. As this individual has only just reached five true nodes, I've yet to top to make a cut to root. Will be getting on with that sharpish. 

None of the others are showing sex yet as far as I can see. Might be some more males, but maybe they're girls?

I'll need to pick out some auto beans to wet too...

Game on! :) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well with one thing and another I dropped the ball on this project a bit.

Last night potted up the four Danish Golds, one is definitely male and the other three look to be female. I've put them in a tent on 20/4, with a heat mat to keep their roots cosy. The tall boy looks as though he may spill his load soon, but the girls show no buds (two show sex). I'll try to veg for a couple of weeks, let their roots expand and hopefully they get a bit more lush. Will need to fit a pollen catcher of some sort to the male. Then flower them out.....hope to at least make some F2s.

Haven't wet any beans from the target strains yet, I've had to change plans. If I collect enough pollen I could pollinate manually. 

Here are the Danish Golds. Not much to show for a couple of months' growth, but it has been cold and the restricted roots have limited their size. Not too bad considering they had no additional heat all this time.

One boy and two girls

large.IMG_20231205_011828.jpeg

Wee runt 

large.IMG_20231205_011924.jpeg

• Like 3

Ach, the male has only gone and spaffed his pollen up the wall. :rolleyes: No flowering females anywhere either...

Looks like I'll need to rethink here. Either germinate some more Danish Gold hoping for another male, or take a different approach, e.g. break out some regular auto seeds. 

Taking time out to ponder.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to pause this project, as part of an effort to step back from growing for a while. I will flower out the remaining Danish Gold in the small tent soon, once they're a wee bit bigger. 

I shall draw up a plan for restarting this at a later date, as it's still an idea with potential.

• Like 2

Hm, I have another male Danish Gold. Slower to flower than the first, and rather short and stocky too. I wish I'd had the foresight to collect pollen from the first male, it had exactly the traits I need: vigour, size and early flowering. 

Oh well. Probably better collect pollen from this one instead...